What are these folks thinking?

This is a discussion on What are these folks thinking? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The other day on my way home from work I got cut off in traffic, on a road that was essentially empty. The guy pulled ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are these folks thinking?

What are these folks thinking?

The other day on my way home from work I got cut off in traffic, on a road that was essentially empty. The guy pulled up in the right lane even w/ my fender looked right at me and came over had I not stepped on the brakes heíd have hit me. Then he proceed to slow down to about 5 miles under the speed limit, I followed him for a while then he slammed on his brakes and turned right w/ no turn signal.

Iím not sure why but I suspect he was deliberately trying to antagonize me.

A week or two ago I was on my way to work, I ended up behind a car that was going a little under the speed limit until I pulled into the right lane to pass, then they sped up and prevented me from getting around them. When we stopped at the light the passenger informed me that Iíd ďBetter watch how the [blank] Iím drivingĒ

Now hereís my question; in both cases I had a gun and while I recognize that neither situation called for any thing like an armed response, Iím not the only person out there that carries. Do these people not think before they decide to try to piss off some random stranger? I mean, whatís going to happen when they try that crap w/ another Vern Smalley?

Maybe itís because Iím a gun owner that I stop and think that the people around me might be armed and I behave accordingly but it makes no sense to me that anyone would risk such an interaction w/ a random stranger in todayís society.

I guess Iíd like to discuss the mindset that goes w/ that kind of stupidity and how we, as responsible gun owners deal with it.
    Any input would be appreciated.

P.S In case you're wondering I highlighted the sentence in the third paragraph because somebody will mis read this post and castigate me for wanting to draw in those situations, I'm just preparing for it in advance

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Stupid people do stupid things. It is rare for a fool to see past his/her own selfishness. Their entire sphere of reality extends only to their thoughts or needs. They never think that they are in any way wrong or the could be called to account for their actions. It's just stupid people being stupid.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Lots of folks who have maybe been just holding it together, then tougher times (like loss of a job and work hard to find) come along and tend to push people to extremes--they react rather than thinking thru situations.

"A soft answer turns away wrath" [A gentle response often defuses a situation]
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

These types of people tend to think the world revolves around them and they are always correct. Another reason I enjoy living in small town Maine. Yes, we have our share of idiots on the road but I don't run into them often.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Unfortunately its becoming more common place where I live. Just on sunday, I saw a guy in a small station wagon tailgating the vehicle in front of him, and swerving trying to jump in the other lane to pass.(4 lane road, 2 lanes each direction, 45MPH speedlimit. ALot of shops/residential on the sides of the road.) When the car in the left lane wouldn't let him in, he kept throwing his hands like like "what!?" and swerving, and speeding up and slowing down, finally he managed to get through a couple cars and pass a couple people, yet amazingly two lights later, I was next to him at a redlight after I had been going the speed limit and never changed lanes, much to my surprise when I stopped next to him,...he had not one, not two,...but THREE SMALL CHILDREN IN THE CAR!!! (TWO OF WICH WERE IN CHILD SEATS!!!! AND HE WAS SMOKING A CIGGERETTE!)

People! ugh

EDIT: Has anyone else seen a big increase in tailgating? It seems like the two I see more and more, are people tailgating for no good reason (for instance, I'm in the slow lane, the fast lane is EMPTY,and your on my bumper?!) and people blowing through lights (light turns yellow, then red and 3-4 more cars come flying through!Thats gotten REALLY bad by my work.)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

VIP Member
    Unfortunately we have all run into the type that when they turn the key on they turn their brains off. They think that they own the road and everyone must get out of their way or suffer the consequences. I constantly scan traffic looking for those types in order to identify and avoid them rather than cause a confrontation.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I don't understand them either.

I just try to avoid them. If they don't change their ways, they'll have their lives rearranged either by others or through their own actions.

You can't continue to act like that and remain unscathed for long.

I would say Orlando has the worse drivers, worse than NYC. No turn signals, run read lights here like it's no ones business and there are many drunk drivers on the road. It's really hard to be patient with the nimrods that do nonsense behind the wheel. Half the time they're on the phone and want to share a lane with you. I just "sigh" and grit my teeth. On the other hand, this is what I would like to to do to them or

Treo, you might want to look around your car. Maybe somebody wrote something to which others might take offense. :)

One nice thing about reaching my age is I really don't care who gets there first. If they signal I let them in; if the look like they want in front of me I let them in; if I'm in lane 2 and traffic is merging into lane 3 I move into lane 1 to give them an out; etc. Hell, if she's pretty I'll even smile and wink! They know I'm harmless just by looking at me so they often smile back.

Some people have nothing better to do than try to piss people off. Try driving a tractor trailer. I've realized recently that the right lane is the passing lane. Cause even if I am in the middle they all pass me on the right. Go figure. I love it when someone does something obviously stupid, and then looks at me like I did something wrong. The only thing more fun than people are monkeys, but they have tails to play with.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

maybe the first guy was running an insurance scam :p...but yea, there are stupid people of all shapes and sizes and colors out there
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Stupid is as stupid does! They haven't a clue!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    The other day on my way home from work I got cut off in traffic, on a road that was essentially empty. The guy pulled up in the right lane even w/ my fender looked right at me and came over had I not stepped on the brakes heíd have hit me. Then he proceed to slow down to about 5 miles under the speed limit, I followed him for a while then he slammed on his brakes and turned right w/ no turn signal.

Iím not sure why but I suspect he was deliberately trying to antagonize me.

A week or two ago I was on my way to work, I ended up behind a car that was going a little under the speed limit until I pulled into the right lane to pass, then they sped up and prevented me from getting around them. When we stopped at the light the passenger informed me that Iíd ďBetter watch how the [blank] Iím drivingĒ

Now hereís my question; in both cases I had a gun and while I recognize that neither situation called for any thing like an armed response, Iím not the only person out there that carries. Do these people not think before they decide to try to piss off some random stranger? I mean, whatís going to happen when they try that crap w/ another Vern Smalley?

Maybe itís because Iím a gun owner that I stop and think that the people around me might be armed and I behave accordingly but it makes no sense to me that anyone would risk such an interaction w/ a random stranger in todayís society.

I guess Iíd like to discuss the mindset that goes w/ that kind of stupidity and how we, as responsible gun owners deal with it.
    Any input would be appreciated.

P.S In case you're wondering I highlighted the sentence in the third paragraph because somebody will mis read this post and castigate me for wanting to draw in those situations, I'm just preparing for it in advance
    Hey Treo, read my tag line. It explains a lot.

I think that often a car gives stupid people a sense of power and invulnerability. Road rage seems to be more prevalent these days. Don't know why. But as a person who has a temper and used to have a hair trigger attached to that temper, I like to think that with age comes wisdom. (I might be close on the wisdom thing by the time I reach 97). I just kinda shrug, flip them the bird in my mind and drive like a Viking, to paraphrase a tag line
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    maybe the first guy was running an insurance scam :p...but yea, there are stupid people of all shapes and sizes and colors out there
    I considered that but he was driving a very nicely restored early 60's Chevy. Not the vehicle I'd pick for an insurance scam.

Not the vehicle I'd pick for an insurance scam.
    Would make for a good civil suit when he claimed the exuberant value of the classic you ruined
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links