When Tacti-cool doesn't pay

This is a discussion on When Tacti-cool doesn't pay within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MSteve That sign just screams "Wait till I leave the house to rob me. Free guns inside." Agreed...unless it's followed up with ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 101

Thread: When Tacti-cool doesn't pay

  1. #16
    VIP Member Array packinnova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    4,226
    Quote Originally Posted by MSteve View Post

    That sign just screams "Wait till I leave the house to rob me. Free guns inside."
    Agreed...unless it's followed up with a "If you can get past the free roaming Pitbulls sign"
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

    "Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    749
    Or maybe 5.11 pants are comfortable, utilitarian and extremely wear resistant...so some of the people that wear them are just wearing quality pants?
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin


    Previously known as "cjm5874"

  4. #18
    Member Array gmark340's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    143
    There is an old Japanese saying that, loosely translated, says "the nail that sticks out will be hammered down."

  5. #19
    Member
    Array Quicksabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Detroit, MI USA
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Also for this same reason in H2H I won't take a defensive stance before a fight even begins...
    Yah, and don't wear your gi around town!

    I teach my students to use the "I don't want to fight" stance. Hands up and open, fingertips at eye/ear level, elbows bent. Looks non-violent, but is a good ready-to-block/strike stance. Slightly left-forward stance if your gun is on your right hip (most black belts in our organization CC and we practice weapons retention a lot).
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

  6. #20
    New Member Array jdub347's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2
    I remember in the 90s when photographers vests and fanny packs were the CCW gear of choice. To this day, unless it is a 70yr old lady at a casino, I will assume anyone wearing a fanny pack to be armed. I do still see some people wearing the photog vests also....they are usually behind the counter at a local gun shop.

  7. #21
    VIP Member Array chiefjason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Posts
    2,739
    So grey man rules. Tactical gear needs to be kept on the range where it belongs. Don't look like you own a gun. Don't advertise that you own a gun. BUT, BUT, BUT........ he was coming from the range.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tysonc View Post
    Just this past year here in Central Florida two men were victims of strong arm robbery in their own garage after having visited a local gun range. The criminals (no, there is no other word for them) were in the range/shop and had targeted these two because of their equipment.
    More importantly here is carry your EDC to, at, and from the range. And maybe look in your rearview mirror occasionally. Oh, and the guy pulling in the driveway or stopping on the road might be a clue too. In this case, there were mistakes, but I don't know that any of them were because of gear. Two men allowed themselves to be robbed after coming from a gun range, that has nothing to do with gear in my mind. It has everything to do with SA and mindset though.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

    "Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

  8. #22
    Member Array Jcabin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Tysonc View Post
    Have you ever been at the mall and seen an "adventurous" type with a "discrete" carry vest and some 5.11's on and thought, "Geeze, could he be any more obvious"?I know you've had to have seen this guy somewhere before. He's advertising to the world that he has a gun and some cool guy gear.
    I see these guys walking around. I don't know how obvious it is to other people but I can spot them from a mile away. They're usually middle aged, dockers, baseball cap, vest, sun glasses, loafers or sneakers. They look like they're prepared to get down and it makes me laugh because it's so obvious that they're trying to hide that they're carrying. You also have to consider that criminals aren't looking to kill people to take their guns, so this is actually a deterrent. Why would you risk death to take one gun? When you can just break into someones home or vehicle and get them?

    Thinking that this is an attractor for criminals doesn't really pan out. It was an isolated incident, and it had nothing to do with the gear they were wearing. They were at a range, and the criminals followed them home. They planned this whole thing. It wasn't a random encounter where brazen criminals targeted these jerks for the clothes they were wearing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tysonc View Post
    1. Be a grey man

    There are distinct advantages to appearing as though you are every day Jack and Jane going about your business. It may sound cold but you have the law of averages on your side. Do not isolate yourself for victimization by advertising your goods.
    I agree. Being a grey man can be very advantageous in certain environments.

    That being said, I open carry 90% of the time. I don't wear tactical clothing, I just open carry. That's my deterrent, and where I live it works. If I was going into a city I would choose to conceal and blend in.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tysonc View Post
    4. Your car is not a billboard

    Do not keep stickers or emblems that might indicate a firearm or other gear being inside your vehicle. Showcase who you are via social networking sites if you care that much because though you may have all your gear on person, a criminal won't hesitate to bust a window and check for themselves.
    This is just stupid. Nobody needs to know you're an NRA member, or that you own certain brands of firearms. You make your vehicle a target while you're not in it. If you're passing through non-gun friendly states, you're a target for police, be prepared to get pulled over.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tysonc View Post
    To reiterate, it is always better to actively avoid conflict. Do not single yourself out as a possible victim by trying to impress others with your ninja style.
    Ninjas are idiots. Avoidance and situational awareness are king. 9 out of 10 violent confrontations can be avoided by being aware of what's going on around you and taking the necessary steps to avoid the situation altogether. However, that 1 out of 10 times, the criminal will get the drop on you, or they will force a situation even if you're actively trying to avoid them.

  9. #23
    VIP Member Array ctsketch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,319
    I teach my students to use the "I don't want to fight" stance. Hands up and open, fingertips at eye/ear level, elbows bent. Looks non-violent, but is a good ready-to-block/strike stance. Slightly left-forward stance if your gun is on your right hip (most black belts in our organization CC and we practice weapons retention a lot).
    I consider Hidari Gamae (Left stance) my go to stance as well I can put my left hand out fingers open saying "Stop!" or "Wait" or "please don't hurt me" or w/e when i'm actually in a fighting stance. Or if its an escalating situation I have my right hand on my hip and left arm out if its a close range situation.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

  10. #24
    Distinguished Member
    Array fastk9dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    1,554
    No 5.11 cargos here... I like my Carhartts. I wear Carhartt Khakis to work. They have deep front pockets for my flashlight and clipped knife along with a discreet cell phone pouch on the right leg.

    I really wish Carhartt made jeans in this config as I don't want to wear carpenter jeans with the hammer loop and baggier fit, so for now on the weekends it's just regular Carhartt jeans.

    Shirts are usually a polo or t-shirt, maybe a logo, but nothing firearms related.

    I do wear hats quite a bit, usually with a sports logo, unless it's pouring out then I break out the NRA waterproof one to walk the dogs.

  11. #25
    Member Array cad424's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    63
    This is similar to the people that drive around with "protected bymanufacture of choice__________ on their cars or have similar signs on their homes.

    To me that's just advertising that there may be something of value in your car or truck.
    Entertech AK Centerfire

    Daisy Red Ryder

  12. #26
    Member Array cad424's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    63
    I walk around wearing my old BDUs or ACUs because I want people to know I've got things covered.
    Entertech AK Centerfire

    Daisy Red Ryder

  13. #27
    Distinguished Member
    Array fastk9dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    1,554
    Quote Originally Posted by cad424 View Post
    I walk around wearing my old BDUs or ACUs because I want people to know I've got things covered.
    Better than walking around in your BVDs. ;)

  14. #28
    Senior Member Array Moga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    I don't want a BG coming to me prepared for and expecting a fight, same reason I don't OC
    I knew it wouldn't be long before some one posted an opinion on openly carried guns. I knew it. So predictable.

    OP, I'm curious if you own any BDU-type pants or wicking shirts. If you did, you would see that they are very functional apparel. I don't do malls or crowded spaces in general and I don't wear vests but I can assure you that the specialized clothing has a purpose other than looking cool. As some one else has already stated, if you train regularly, and I don't mean shooting paper from a static position at the local range, this gear is an indispensable part of your training apparatus, for one. There are other reasons but its neither here or there. It seems to me that if object to that mode of dress, then don't wear the stuff. But what purpose does it serve to dole out advice to others as if your point of view is the only one worth having? FreeAmerican hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned, and I'm not really. I'll do me and you do you. That's what makes America great.

    Different strokes for different folks man. I still can't wrap my head around why some are so opinionated about the dress habits and modes of firearm carry of other people.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

  15. #29
    VIP Member Array wmhawth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    4,376
    When Tacti-cool doesn't pay

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Have you ever been at the mall and seen an "adventurous" type with a "discrete" carry vest and some 5.11's on and thought, "Geeze, could he be any more obvious"?I know you've had to have seen this guy somewhere before. He's advertising to the world that he has a gun and some cool guy gear. Unaware to himself what he is not showing us is that he is a skilled marksman or real world operator, because those guys don't have to play dress up to go to Piggly Wiggly
    I couldn't agree more. It's amateurs who advertise like that. I'll have to admit to sporting a Smith and Wesson hat though. They were giving them away free to customers on opening day at the new Cabelas store in my little burg. Just couldn't turn down a freebee.

  16. #30
    Member Array novasig226r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Loudoun County, VA
    Posts
    28
    Maybe I'm just new. Perhaps it's because I'm dumb.

    What the heck is the difference between 5.11 "tactical gear" and my cargo pants from LL Bean or REI? What's the difference between the EOTAC shirts and the ones I get from LL Bean or REI? What's the difference between the belts? What about the "tactical vest" in the store and the fleece vest I have in my closet? If I'm hiking the AT in Shenandoah National Park and I'm wearing a pair of "tacical" boots, would I be less of a mall ninja had I simply worn my Timberland hiking boots?

    I don't mean to sound condescending, but those all look quite similar, both in look and feel. The one glaring difference that I can see is the "ninja"-like accessibility that the "tactical" gear gives to my carry weapon that the LL Bean doesn't offer. Otherwise, I feel the need to be enlightened.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Doesn't it just feel kinda cool to have a pistol strapped to your hip?
    By kashton in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: January 17th, 2009, 12:28 AM
  2. U Of Mn Just Doesn't Get It.
    By havegunjoe in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: April 26th, 2007, 04:51 PM
  3. My wife knows what's tacti-cool
    By mzmtg in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 27th, 2006, 12:07 PM
  4. It doesn't get better than.......
    By jarhead79 in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: July 15th, 2006, 01:54 PM
  5. Sometimes it doesn't take a gun
    By rstickle in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 21st, 2005, 09:02 PM

Search tags for this page

cargo pants tacticool

,

cheesiest tacticool stuff

,

eotech pants

,

how to dress tacticool

,

i dress a little tacticool

,

marksan piggly wiggly robbery

,

rei tacticool

,

seattle woolrich elite series tactical discreet carry jacket

,

self conscious wearing 5.11 vest

,

tacticool stickers

,

wearing blackhawk tactical pants with tennis shoes

,

what is the difference between emt pants and cargo pants

Click on a term to search for related topics.