When Tacti-cool doesn't pay - Page 4

When Tacti-cool doesn't pay

This is a discussion on When Tacti-cool doesn't pay within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wellllll...I'm just one of those old, semi fat, retired military guys (remember, if you're military now and make it a career, then hopefully you will ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: When Tacti-cool doesn't pay

Wellllll...I'm just one of those old, semi fat, retired military guys (remember, if you're military now and make it a career, then hopefully you will end up being one of us someday), that wears my every day steel toe Georgia Boot, my carpenter jeans, a button down short or long sleeve shirt (depending on the temperature outside, and of course my VEST, that ever present neon sign that says I'm carrying OWB concealed, my VEST. Of course I do clean up nicely with a set of khaki pants from Tractor Supply, some nice Timberland Boots, but the same ole shirt and VEST. For the life of me, I can't understand why it irritates folks when someone wears a VEST. For those of you that see my VEST and recognize that I am carrying, please feel free to come up to me and say hello! I reckon I'll just have to broadcast to the BG because even with all the help of the "Fashion Police" on here, I just can't slip into the cargo shorts, or the untucked polos that the younger guys can wear to look so "tactically uncool" and invisible.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Tysonc View Post
    He's advertising to the world that he has a gun and some cool guy gear.
    I disagree. He's advertising to the minority of people that even know what 5.11 is. Most people have absolutely no idea what discreet carry vests are, let alone "shoot me first" vests. Those of us that do know, are not the type of people who would shoot him first.

I have a number of 5.11 short sleeve shirts and cargo pants. They are comfortable and seem to do a fairly decent job preventing printing.

Now I suppose it's possible that someone might recognize the brand, but really, its not different than anything I wear any other day, or what I wore before I had a CC.

I'll agree about the vests and fannypacks and that sort of thing.

I find the whole 5.11 thing amusing. 5.11 is a climb rating and the originator of the clothing, Royal Robbins is someone I use to climb with and is as far from tactical as Elmer Fudd.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    I don't want a BG coming to me prepared for and expecting a fight, same reason I don't OC
    Yes you have that luxury of CC.. I have to OC... But I would rather OC than not be able to carry at all. I just Keep my SA up on high alert, that should deter BG's "holy crap that guy sees me eyeing him and he got a gun, I'm picking someone else."

A friend I hunt with, his sons wife's dad was jumped by two guys with box cutters walking out of Home Depot down on 8mile and kelly the north east tip of Detroit. They cut his neck and face up good. He survived.

If it would have been me I can almost 99% say they would have saw my gun and said "nope not cutting that guy up, he's got a gun lets pick a different target."

I you can't say that OC makes you a target because
    #1 There is no proof of this happening (even if there is it is most likely made up by the anti-gun media

#2 Facts show that criminal like easy targets and steer clear of targets that present opposition. (you ever hear of a 300 pound ripped body builder getting his butt kick? odds are not)

#3 Why would a criminal pick to rob someone who could kill them? it just goes against the human nature of survival and common sense

#4. Think like a criminal just for a minute. If you see a police officer in the store you just walked up to too rob are you going to rob the store with the police officer in it? Common sense says no. Now same story only switch the police officer with an armed citizen. Would you still want to rob the store? once again probably not. Remember the armed citizen is much more likely to use their firearm before the police officer because, police are train to use deadly force as a last resort. Any ordinary citizens who feel endanger of their life, can use lethal force to protect themselves.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    I disagree. He's advertising to the minority of people that even know what 5.11 is. Most people have absolutely no idea what discreet carry vests are, let alone "shoot me first" vests. Those of us that do know, are not the type of people who would shoot him first.
    I'm hoping this is true. We've had several discussions over in the 'holster and carry options' section about the 'tactical bags' like the Maxpeditions and 5.11 Pushpak.

The discussion in this thread was a major concern for me, but overall, it sounded like most people wouldnt know the significance of such bags. I certainly didnt and until recently had never heard of 'tacticool.'

I ended up getting the 5.11 Pushpak for my carry purse, after discussing with other forum members. It suits my mode of dress (casual, jeans, boots, sneakers, etc) and Seattle is a very outdoorsy area where similar bags are common.

I needed something with a nice padded shoulder strap since I carry a fullsize gun and my other carry purse killed my shoulder after awhile.

I got 'made' at a BBQ a few weeks ago..."Hey, who's tactical bag is this?" (It was hanging on the back of my chair.)

So now I am very self-conscious when out shopping or eating in some (not all) establishments. I can remove the 5.11 patch...but is that enough? I also think cops are looking at me now...and I shouldnt care of course. (But they think I'm a dork or looking for trouble???)

But this thread is disappointing...I dont care about being cool, I only wanted functional...but I dont want to draw attention to myself either.

*sigh* (And comments about 'purse carry' will not be helpful...the things come with gun compartments and holsters).
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I find the whole 5.11 thing amusing. 5.11 is a climb rating and the originator of the clothing, Royal Robbins is someone I use to climb with and is as far from tactical as Elmer Fudd.
    I wondered how long this thread would go before someone mentioned the rating.

I was never a 5.11 leader, but I did manage to lead a few a solid 5.9's and a couple of 5.10- leads in my climbing days. Basic Rockcraft is in my library too.

Biker

Administrator
    I like 5.11 pants. I like and absolutely need the pockets. I always wear cotton Tshirts and have never been a hat and vest guy.
    Gee Willikers...do you think my choice of pants is advertising and shouting out that I'm carrying a gun? I never realized that so many guys were checking out my arse out in public.
    Anybody care to try and take it off me?

I still have Royal Robbins shirts....I wonder if people think I climb?

(Hell no! But I did like rappelling, lol)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Anybody care to try and take it off me?
    What, the pants or the arse?

I wear some 5.11's at work, and even have a couple of pair for non-work times. Truth be told, I'm not that impressed with them. I'll go back to wearing my Carhartt Carpenter Pants.

Biker

I never cared for the 5.11 pants as I never found them comfortable, but the shirts were nice. BTW, they weren't for personal use, just business otherwise I wear Wrangler cargos. Very comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I'm hoping this is true. We've had several discussions over in the 'holster and carry options' section about the 'tactical bags' like the Maxpeditions and 5.11 Pushpak.

The discussion in this thread was a major concern for me, but overall, it sounded like most people wouldnt know the significance of such bags. I certainly didnt and until recently had never heard of 'tacticool.'

I ended up getting the 5.11 Pushpak for my carry purse, after discussing with other forum members. It suits my mode of dress (casual, jeans, boots, sneakers, etc) and Seattle is a very outdoorsy area where similar bags are common.

I needed something with a nice padded shoulder strap since I carry a fullsize gun and my other carry purse killed my shoulder after awhile.

I got 'made' at a BBQ a few weeks ago..."Hey, who's tactical bag is this?" (It was hanging on the back of my chair.)

So now I am very self-conscious when out shopping or eating in some (not all) establishments. I can remove the 5.11 patch...but is that enough? I also think cops are looking at me now...and I shouldnt care of course. (But they think I'm a dork or looking for trouble???)

But this thread is disappointing...I dont care about being cool, I only wanted functional...but I dont want to draw attention to myself either.

*sigh* (And comments about 'purse carry' will not be helpful...the things come with gun compartments and holsters).
    I saw your post about your purse. I don't think it's anything you need to worry about. I think that the vast majority of people have no clue. We tend to forget that we are a minority. Most people don't carry guns. They don't know that 5.11 Tactical makes clothing geared toward people that carry guns, they don't know what instructor belts are.

Outside of my circle of gun people friends, no one has ever commented on my Maxpedition Malaga, other than to say "Hey, that's a pretty cool bag, I like how you can add all those pouches, 'n' pockets, 'n' stuff." The few that have noticed my Wilderness belt just thought it was a cool belt. "Oh, there aren't any holes, so it's totally adjustable? Cool! I want one." I don't live in a rural, outdoorsy area either. I'm in the Philly Metro area, and I spend a lot of time in Center City, and South Philly. I've never had a cop give me a second glance due to my "tactical backpack". Even with my safety orange MCS logo patch on it.

If you're walking around in head to toe 5.11 Tactical, Woolrich Elite, or TAD Gear clothing, yeah, you look like a dork, but most people simply don't make the connection of _____ clothing/bag = gun.

The Push Pack has loop side Velcro on the outside, doesn't it?
    If you're really bothered about it, get some girly morale patches to put on it.

Administrator
    My point being that it really accomplishes nothing to stereotype and/or demonize 5.11 (in general) as a company since they do manufacture styles of clothing that are specifically designed NOT to appear TactiCool.

So...Folks should be aware of the fact that there are now 5.11 styles that are intentionally discreet but still have features that are quite beneficial to folks that daily carry concealed.
    Like heavy belt loops being properly positioned, double stitched seams, heavier duty pocket material, and (important to me) 100% Cotton.
    Absolutely, I would reserve the 5.11 Logo Free Hat for the range though.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post

Hey Mare, I think I replied on the other thread that I bought a 5.11 Pushpak for my wife to use as a purse. She had been carrying leather ones and the straps kept breaking. No problems with the Pushpak so far. And no one has mentioned it to her or stared, etc. She has her CHL, but does not carry, as she works on a federal installation where it is prohibited. A number of her co-workers are "gun" guys (and gals) and no one has mentioned the 5.11 bag. So don't worry about it. I think a lot of people are being too self conscious about "tactical" gear. Most people don't know and/or don't care. And a lot of people wear stuff because it is durable, functional, high quality, comfortable, and a lot more reasons other than trying to be "tacticool". I wore Levi's and leather jackets before I ever owned a motorcycle because they were comfortable, durable, and functional--not because I wanted to look like a "biker". I've continued to wear Levi's and leather jackets for many years since I've owned motorcycles for the same reasons. And I'll continue wearing the same stuff long after I'm too old to climb on a bike and hold it up. I feel the same way about 5.11 cargos--I wear them when I "dress up" because they are durable, comfortable, high quality, etc., NOT to be "tacticool". Since I retired a few years ago, the suits, sport coats, ties, etc. have been relegated to a storage closet. 5.11 cargos are as "dressed up" as I get these days. (The only exception has been for 3 funerals.) It is all about comfort these days.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I wondered how long this thread would go before someone mentioned the rating.

I was never a 5.11 leader, but I did manage to lead a few a solid 5.9's and a couple of 5.10- leads in my climbing days. Basic Rockcraft is in my library too.

Biker
    Royal and I did the East Buttress of El Cap one summer, Grade IV or V (don't recall), 5.10b, at the time, in three and a half hours, climbing on a 300', 9mm used as a single rope, sometimes both climbing at once.

Sorry for the deviation.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links