When Tacti-cool doesn't pay

This is a discussion on When Tacti-cool doesn't pay within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a few 5.11 products. A while back I bought one of their holster shirts. The spandexy ones. It served its purpose for a ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: When Tacti-cool doesn't pay

I have a few 5.11 products. A while back I bought one of their holster shirts. The spandexy ones. It served its purpose for a couple situations but I don't use it anymore. A couple months ago I bought a pair of 5.11 cargos from LA Police Gear because they had a good deal. $40 for the pants, a belt and a "tactical" bag which is becoming my first-aid kit.

I love the pants, they're the ones with the zipped pocket behind the regular pocket that has small pouches built in meant for magazines. I usually wear polos at work during the summer and will be purchasing a couple more pairs of these pants because they're comfortable, allow me to carry a spare mag in my pocket comfortably, securely and with quick access. They just work good for what I do.

Do I care if someone recognizes that they're 5.11 and thinks I might be carrying? Nope. Chances are if anyone recognizes the brand they probably carry themselves. Nothing about them screams "tacticool."
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

2. Remove Ads

I wear 5.11 pants and shorts...

a lot. I started wearing them when they were Royal Robbins and they just work for me. I know where everything is by virtue of muscle memory.

I wear a Wilderness Frequent Flier belt as well. Again it just works for me.

I usually wear t-shirts and sneakers or Keen sandals. I keep my hair cut GI more or less and wear a short beard.

I do what works for me. I am an old Soldier and I reckon that shows.

No gun stickers on my car... but I do have a jump wings trailer hitch cover.

A couple of weeks ago at the Blade Show there were a lot of guys who were dressed like they were ready to storm Bin Laden's hide out... if that works for them who am I to say they're wrong.

BTW the 5.11 Covert Carry shirts are being sold in the PX and they work very well.
    Hooah! It's an Army thing!

topsblades@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by spander View Post
    would my latest and greatest od green maxpedition pack be tactical-cool? Yes. Does my love of all cargo pants make me stand out to people that know those pants came from 5.11? Yes.

I do follow what your saying about not standing out, i try my best not too. I don't wear shirts that have glock and hk written on them. But i don't see the point of avoiding things that function well just because you want to blend in better.
    i like wearing cargo trousers. Very comfortable with a little stretch in the waistband. The 5.11 belts are very good belts for carry gun support.
    . GOA LIFE MEMBER, GCO MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Tysonc View Post
    1. Be a grey man
    Agreed.

2. Be alert
    Agreed.

3. Don't get caught with your pants down
    I always have a belt on.

4. Your car is not a billboard
    Especially agreed on this. I work with a lot of officers who have PBA stickers and stuff on them. Guess what? A lot of their cars get broken into by scum looking for stuff (and at times finding it IDS and weapons.....no don't ask why people leave their work id in their cars....I sure don't)

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Woah, Woah, Woah, so what you're saying is, that if I am proud of something such as my NRA membership, or my XDM, that I should not wear or put anything on my vehicle because a BG might see it and try to rob me? So the fact that I carry to protect my freedom from robbery, assault, and rape, (yes it does happen to men, Deliverance can happen anywhere) means that I should live my life in fear of a BG seeing my NRA Life sticker on the back of my truck, and thinking to himself, hmmm, that looks like the guy I should rob. Well, I'm sorry if my 5.11 vest that I wear because its comfortable, helps me carry things, and IMHO looks really good when I take it fishing with me, broadcasts to the world that I carry a firearm. Guess what, sheep and wolves are both ignorant, chances are they see me with a fishing hat, a khaki vest, and jeans on, their gonna say, hmm, he must be going fishing, not, OMG HE HAS A GUN!!
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tysonc View Post
    Have you ever been at the mall and seen an "adventurous" type with a "discrete" carry vest and some 5.11's on...
    Yeah, his name was Massad Ayoob!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    She has her CHL, but does not carry, as she works on a federal installation where it is prohibited. A number of her co-workers are "gun" guys (and gals) and no one has mentioned the 5.11 bag. So don't worry about it. I think a lot of people are being too self conscious about "tactical" gear. Most people don't know and/or don't care. And a lot of people wear stuff because it is durable, functional, high quality, comfortable, and a lot more reasons other than trying to be "tacticool".
    I know, I cant take my gun to work either, but I often have my Pushpak anyway, that is my main purse. The rules about carrying there are very clear...I sometimes wonder if any of the mgrs wonder about my bag?

I know, I know, I have to just not worry about it.
    Last edited by 9MMare; June 16th, 2010 at 11:28 PM.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Administrator
    5.11+ is coming out with the new GreenPeace Line.

Instead of having 5.11 Tactical anywhere on the clothing...everything reads "SAVE THE WHALES!"

That should really fool all of the old ladies and the teenieboppers at the mall.

I work in corporate so most of the times I am wearing formals, a fitted shirt, producer pants, Aldo shoes and a tie with a vest or a cotton sleeveless sweater. Since it rains all the time I got myself a Kenneth Cole rain jacket for $50 (on sale at Macy's). Cargo pants and vests look great for casual wear but it isn't something you can wear to work.

I don't carry at work, but I do keep my EDC weapon in my car safe. I have started OC'ing sometimes and wear a jacket on top. It is more comfortable.

I somewhat agree that if you are going to wear camouflage or cargo pants with any logo like SigSauer, BlackHawk, 511 or similar, you may get unneeded attention from LEOs or BGs.

So keeping the gray man concept in mind, I dress classy whenever I am at work and no one can ever tell I am carrying or even like having a weapon.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    5.11+ is coming out with the new GreenPeace Line.

Instead of having 5.11 Tactical anywhere on the clothing...everything reads "SAVE THE WHALES!"

That should really fool all of the old ladies and the teenieboppers at the mall.
    If you really want to throw them off guard you can wear a Brady campaign T-shirt
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Yeah, his name was Massad Ayoob!

Nice
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member
    After reading this thread I may want to reconsider wearing t-shirt with superhero logos on them... someone might mistake me for Superman! :-o ;)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    If you really want to throw them off guard you can wear a Brady campaign T-shirt
    Now that would be great. Especially while OCing
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    I don't carry at work, but I do keep my EDC weapon in my car safe. I have started OC'ing sometimes and wear a jacket on top. It is more comfortable.

I have a slightly-off topic question: If you are wearing a jacket over an OC rig...legally is that considered OC? If someone notices it (jacket open let's say)....?

Depending on the state (not sure about ours since I dont plan to OC off my own property)...isnt visibility of a cc'd weapon an infraction? I dont believe it's brandishing or threatening, but people here are extremely concerned about ever printing, period. (Beyond exposure to bg's)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I own Woolrich elite, 5.11, and Black Hawk gear. I try to mix them up with "normal stuff", like t-shirts, and sneakers, etc. Most people are too wrapped up in themselves to notice the difference between my green 5.11 cargo shorts and my Old Navy ones. When I have a t shirt on from my fav sports team or band, etc. Being grey is as much about attitude and how you carry your self as it is clothing and whatnot. I have had many people be utterly shocked like I pulled a rabbit out of the proverbial hat when they find out I am carrying a sidearm in their midst sometimes for months or years at a time and they had absolutely no clue. Sometimes it s at-shirt and tactical pants, sometimes its a tacitcal shirt and jeans. Grey is a state of mind and a lifestyle not just a physical manifestation of your clothing or vehicle.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links