When Tacti-cool doesn't pay - Page 6

When Tacti-cool doesn't pay

This is a discussion on When Tacti-cool doesn't pay within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 9MMare I have a slightly-off topic question: If you are wearing a jacket over an OC rig...legally is that considered OC? If ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: When Tacti-cool doesn't pay

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I have a slightly-off topic question: If you are wearing a jacket over an OC rig...legally is that considered OC? If someone notices it (jacket open let's say)....?

Depending on the state (not sure about ours since I dont plan to OC off my own property)...isnt visibility of a cc'd weapon an infraction? I dont believe it's brandishing or threatening, but people here are extremely concerned about ever printing, period. (Beyond exposure to bg's)
    I guess it depends on what you consider an oc rig. My normal carry is owb, 3 0'clock with an overshirt or jacket. The garments worn do not print much if at all. Noticing is not the same as oc.

It is not threatening or brandishing unless you live in a state with picky satatutes on the matter. I don't consider minor printing (minor bulges) a big deal.

5.11 vest for daily wear, most commonly at work.
    Ham radio talkie in the right breast pocket.
    Left breast pocket with a half dozen pens (calligraphy, fountain, gel)
    Cell phone in the left horizontal zipper pocket (handy place and secure)
    Water bottles in the magazine pockets.
    Keys clipped to the D-ring under the left breast pocket.
    Look like a geek.
    (I wore this same vest working with handicapped children on field trips. Bottles of forumula in the mag pockets, diapers in the big bellows pockets, meds and syringes elsewhere as needed ... wear it instead of carry a bag)
    Tacticool?
    Practicool!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I have a slightly-off topic question: If you are wearing a jacket over an OC rig...legally is that considered OC? If someone notices it (jacket open let's say)....?

Depending on the state (not sure about ours since I dont plan to OC off my own property)...isnt visibility of a cc'd weapon an infraction? I dont believe it's brandishing or threatening, but people here are extremely concerned about ever printing, period. (Beyond exposure to bg's)
    Good question.

I am not sure about other states, but Washington state allows open carry. For me its just a preference due to comfort and access. I guess the way I wear a jacket over it may not be considered 100% open carry. I have been doing this for 3 months and haven't run into any stares or panic attacks. Then again, the only place I go for coffee is Starbucks. No I wouldn't open carry in Pete's Coffee. They would start throwing organic tea bags at me or their flower garlands.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

way to go sarge i agree

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
    5.11 vest for daily wear, most commonly at work.
    Ham radio talkie in the right breast pocket.
    Left breast pocket with a half dozen pens (calligraphy, fountain, gel)
    Cell phone in the left horizontal zipper pocket (handy place and secure)
    Water bottles in the magazine pockets.
    Keys clipped to the D-ring under the left breast pocket.
    Look like a geek.
    (I wore this same vest working with handicapped children on field trips. Bottles of forumula in the mag pockets, diapers in the big bellows pockets, meds and syringes elsewhere as needed ... wear it instead of carry a bag)
    Tacticool?
    Practicool!
    heh, some dudes just need to get a purse!
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    Good question.

I am not sure about other states, but Washington state allows open carry. For me its just a preference due to comfort and access. I guess the way I wear a jacket over it may not be considered 100% open carry. I have been doing this for 3 months and haven't run into any stares or panic attacks. Then again, the only place I go for coffee is Starbucks. No I wouldn't open carry in Pete's Coffee. They would start throwing organic tea bags at me or their flower garlands.
    It was weird, about 2 months ago when they were trying to pressure Starbucks into forbidding guns, they focused on a guy open carrying.

Duh! There are at least 10 times that many people CCing there! And they seem to have no clue. lol

They really are afraid of nothing if they are concerned about OCers. Lordy
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

So, in keeping with this thread, I got made by my 5.11 Pushpak again today.

Right in Seattle, by an acquaintance who I would never have guessed also carried. I dropped by to pick something up, with my Pushpak. He politely asked me if he could ask a personal question. I thought a minute, and said ok.

He asked if I carried and if I liked the Pushpak...that he was interested in them.

*sigh* We both agreed that we should remove the 5.11 patch...and it led to a great discussion and finding some cool common ground.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    Or maybe 5.11 pants are comfortable, utilitarian and extremely wear resistant...so some of the people that wear them are just wearing quality pants?
    ^^This^^

Or they are wearing the "Tacti-cool" vest because their hips are destroyed from one too many patrols through Iraq and they want to carry all their crap without putting any more weight on those hips than they have to.

I get annoyed by people who like to cry "Mall Ninja" over this and that opinion of what is acceptable for clothes, accessories, knives, holsters, etc. You don't like it and wouldn't wear it.

Yes, we know.

Some of us see the practical/tactical side of these items and use them to their fullest. You may sneer at me and my 5.11 (yep, I proudly own one of these remarkably useful items) tactical vest, but maybe when you see me pull out my smokes, keys, wallet, money, flashlight, cellphone, or any other item I so choose to carry that day, you might find it within your heart to forgive me my weakness and accept that others are less fortunate in their sense of taste and propriety than you.

With a daily life of ice-pick-like pain in my side, I have to cut unfortunate corners and find ways of continuing my loathsome (to some) existence without offending others' delicate sensibilities.

In the matter of defense, I can assure you that I will do my absolute best to destroy completely anyone who would do my family, myself, or anyone around me any harm. I can offer further assurance that I will do so regardless of whether or not I'm wearing "socially acceptable" clothing, a tac-vest, or a pretty pink party dress.

And I'll look damned good while doing so.

So the next time you see some tired, decrepit, and worn out looking fellow on the side of the road limping along in his "ninja gear", perhaps you can find it within yourself to descend from on high to lavish some much needed but always refused pity upon that poor and hideous wretch.

And...I'm done.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

LOL Evil Monk
    Fortune favors the bold.

VIP Member
    The only place I've seen most of this stuff is in Kuwait and Iraq being worn by old, fat retired military guys over there as contractors. I suppose you could refer to the guys as operators. They operate projectors and powerpoint slides, they operate NTVs, they operate ranges... Nothing against them. They serve their purpose, and it's less Soldiers needed to do those jobs, but they do look like a 5.11/Eotac catalog.

Well I wear 5.11's everyday here but I dont operate projectors and I dont have my powerpoint tab, these guys are not operators most of them are not even armed.
    This style clothing is issued because it holds up and contractors unless embedded with a specific military unit are not authorized by the SOFA to wear military uniforms.
    When home I may wear a pair of 5.11 pants or shirts on occasion but I dont think they are any different from khakis from old navy or dickies from wal mart.
    I agree most people dont really know the difference as long as you dont go overboard with it. It is the same thing as those who dress as bikers with the Harley t shirt, cap, biker wallet and so on and only drive a kia.
    I completely agree with EvilMonk my body has seen far to much abuse over the years from carrying gear, weapons and 40 pounds of body armor if some piece of clothing makes it easier on me then I will use it fashion statement or not.
    I dont really care is someone thinks I am carrying concealed or look like a threat to them I mind my own business and if they mind theirs we have no problems.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Wear what you want. To many good men and women have died in the past 200 plus years to give us our freedoms to let others dictate our choice of clothing. When someone else starts paying for my clothes then I might consider their taste in clothing..............NAH !
    Last edited by rocky; June 18th, 2010 at 10:57 AM. Reason: language work around
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
    Tacticool?
    Practicool!
    exceptional quote!....

I have a tactical beer belly
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Excellent post TYSON ! I own one of those vests and have worn it once, for all the reasons you indicated. I do NOT have an NRA sticker on my truck(I DO have crossed rifles/Airborne Tab, H-D and a Palin sticker...but I live in the South now...oh well!)to confirm I'm a gun guy,although no weapon stays in my truck. I guess in the end,at least, vehicle-wise you can blend in with the natives. As for my person, I DO NOT advertise I carry,but again in the South the chances are greater that a citizen does than in my native NY. In sum, hiding in "plain sight" might be the answer and adjusting your look for the environment you are in(rural vs. city etc.). Great thoughts though!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

After reading some of the posts...I'd have to agree that a vest is practical and again, to each their own. THAT is what makes America great!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links