When Tacti-cool doesn't pay - Page 7

When Tacti-cool doesn't pay

This is a discussion on When Tacti-cool doesn't pay within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to figure out where the logic stream from the OP happened. The criminals in question jumped the guys from the range because of ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: When Tacti-cool doesn't pay

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I'm trying to figure out where the logic stream from the OP happened. The criminals in question jumped the guys from the range because of all of their firearms stuff, not because they wore 5.11 pants. As the crime description did not include the taking of the gentlemen's clothing, it is safe to assume that the brand or style of clothing had next to nothing to do with the crime in question except that it was randomly on the victims when the criminals saw the actual target of the crime, their rather nice firearms and the ancillary equipment.

As for someone recognizing a vest, fanny pack, backpack, brand of pants, etc. These are all pretty much by people in the LEO, tactical, and/or CCW lifestyle. I have yet to hear about anyone walking by a group of thugs and having said thugs go, "Hey man, you like those Eotech pants?" or "Those Blackhawk light tactical pants be smokin', ese!" When I wear my 5.11 vest around the worst I get is "How's the fishing?" or "You catch anything?"

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    As for someone recognizing a vest, fanny pack, backpack, brand of pants, etc. These are all pretty much by people in the LEO, tactical, and/or CCW lifestyle. I have yet to hear about anyone walking by a group of thugs and having said thugs go, "Hey man, you like those Eotech pants?" or "Those Blackhawk light tactical pants be smokin', ese!" When I wear my 5.11 vest around the worst I get is "How's the fishing?" or "You catch anything?"
    +1
    You can't beat the 5.11 cargo pants IMO. They are cool (temp wise) with plenty of pockets. I wear them anytime I go into the field, the back pocket holds a field book perfect. Plus they make em in a size that fits 32x36 usually to get a 36 inseam I have to buy 33 or 34s and put up with droopy drawers, they get real bad about 1 in the afternoon when the sweats pouring down the crack of my rear. And so far they have held up well.
    Being shot in the process of committing a crime provides potent Pavlovian conditioning to the perpetrator.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    take a hint from this clip...

YouTube - Jump Ship?

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    lmao, tactical beer belly
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    As for someone recognizing a vest, fanny pack, backpack, brand of pants, etc. These are all pretty much by people in the LEO, tactical, and/or CCW lifestyle.
    Yeah with the cc population at what, 4% or so, most people are clueless, even if you're printing quite obviously. It's 87 in Detroit today, I have (long jean) shorts and a baggy Tiger's T-Shirt on. My SW 3913 is at 3:00 as usual, I'm in Barnes and Noble and I don't really care that much if I'm printing a little. I can see both doors and there's a wall at my back so it's all good.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Administrator
    These are the pants I usually wear. They are 5.11 100% Cotton.
    I only ever wear 100% Cotton long pants when I'm not wearing shorts.
    I like the Woolrich Cotton shorts in summer. Lots of pockets for shorts.
    I never really got into the vest thing. I don't own a vest.
    My top end is an oversize untucked 100% Cotton T-Shirt because I carry OWB. That works out fine for me because I have great holsters.

I dunno.
    Does ya all thimk they look too TactiCool?
    Because if you do....I don't really give a hootandahollerinhell. <~~
    and that be the truth.

Lead Moderator
    Uhh, I wear 5.11 pants while working plainclothes security. No one seems to notice , even crooks.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    You mean to tell me that you don't have any Front Sight yard signs to scare off the bad guys.

Front Sight: A Yard Sign Criminals Will Fear… - Self Defense & Firearms Training

Could a 4 weapon master ninja who moved his money to Guatemala be wrong?
    I almost took their defensive pistol course but their advertising/marketing stuff completely turned me off.
    Last edited by happydude; June 28th, 2010 at 01:35 AM.

My Gray Man System

I tend to live a more "prepper" lifestyle, so maintaining a "gray man" look is important.

Here in Texas it is hot 80% of the year, which means I wear shorts a lot.I work out of the home, so I do not have to maintain a work wardrobe per say.

I wear Wrangler Twill Cargo Shorts. I like these because they have great cargo pockets, both sides have cell phone sleeves in, deep front pockets, velcro back pockets. Lots of room to carry your EDC. These are also able to take a 1.5 width belt

Belt - Justin Cowboy belt extra thick, holds gear, heavy buckle acts as secondary weapon if needed.

Shirt - Here in Texas Hill country many guys wear a mossy oak cammo beefy-T shirts. I like them because they have a pocket also.

Shoes- Ariat leather work boots.

Baseball hat

Where I live, this is total grey man. I look like everyone else.

Here is my max load EDC...

Glock 19 w/ extra mag
    Flashligt
    Multitool
    Cold Steel OC Spray - key ring, pen, & 1.3 can
    5.11 3.5" folder
    Cold Steel Vequero serrated 4" folder
    Wallet
    Key ring with OC spray, mini flashlight, mini swiss army knife
    Sunglasses that are shatter resistant / scratch resistant mirrored

If I do not want to wear a cammo shirt, I wear a checkered Wrangler short sleeve and under that I wear a 5.11 deep cover holster shirt. This is what I wear to church most of the times with a nice pair of jeans. Out side of church I will also wear a baseball hat of some sorts with this.

I will see about taking a picture so you can see all the gear on in my grey man system.

ALSO.. I do have a 5.11 pushpack, which my father in law gave me. I love it, but here in Texas they would call it a "european handbag" aka man purse. It is part of my B.O.B. Maybe "Tacticool" will come more in fashion here and then I can carry that with a ton more EDC gear that I could think of.

Ray
    Texas
    Last edited by Prophezine; June 27th, 2010 at 10:50 PM. Reason: forgot somethings
    Check out my websites....

http://www.prophezine.com

http://survival4christians.blogspot.com/

Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Seriously though, being the "grey man" is obviously the optimum in concealment. Wearing "tacticool" stuff, depending a lot on where you live, may or may not tip anyone off that your CCW. Same with pro gun stickers et al.

Where I live, if I wear 5.11 pants, shirt and vest the local LEOs might confuse me with one of their own. A lot if not most of our Sheriffs Deputies dress like that when not on uniformed duty. If I wear 5.11 pants, (and I sometimes do), I never get a second look. Same with wearing a tactical vest. I was once asked if I was in to backpacking because of my tactical vest though.

It's just not a big deal around here.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Seriously though, being the "grey man" is obviously the optimum in concealment. Wearing "tacticool" stuff, depending a lot on where you live, may or may not tip anyone off that your CCW. Same with pro gun stickers et al.
    Heck, never mind what I'm wearing I don't even want my neighbors (I live in a condo/townhome complex) to see me with my range bag. It's digital desert camo... I wanted something different than black but wasn't thinking at the time. One saw me yesterday putting it in the back of my truck. He stopped and chatted telling me about his car problems (as he always does), not sure if he picked up on the bag or not.

One thing I noticed is I don't know if it's how I dress or if it's how I carry myself but people are always stopping me on the street for directions. It literally happens at least once if not twice a week out here on the streets in front of my office. There could be 5 of us in a group and they'll as me. I had one guy jam on his brakes in the middle of the road to ask me directions. That put me on high alert as I backed up and put a little distance in between us (I was off the curb getting ready to cross). The guy in the delivery truck that almost rear ended him was too happy and I couldn't even hear what the first guy was saying with the noise of the diesel engine running, I just waved him on by as there was no way I was walking closer to his car.

I don't know if it's tacti-cool or not but one thing I can't go without is dark sunglasses. 1. because my eyes are sensitive to bright lights - overcast days can sometimes be the worst and 2. because I can keep eyes on people without them knowing.

These are my latest favorites...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Sponsored Links