When Tacti-cool doesn't pay

This is a discussion on When Tacti-cool doesn't pay within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have you ever been at the mall and seen an "adventurous" type with a "discrete" carry vest and some 5.11's on and thought, "Geeze, could ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: When Tacti-cool doesn't pay

Have you ever been at the mall and seen an "adventurous" type with a "discrete" carry vest and some 5.11's on and thought, "Geeze, could he be any more obvious"?I know you've had to have seen this guy somewhere before. He's advertising to the world that he has a gun and some cool guy gear. Unaware to himself what he is not showing us is that he is a skilled marksman or real world operator, because those guys don't have to play dress up to go to Piggly Wiggly. The problem here is he not only appears to be "militant" or hostile to the general public, but beyond that he has now isolated himself to be victimized for crimes of opportunity to be committed by an increasingly aware and brazen criminal element.

Just this past year here in Central Florida two men were victims of strong arm robbery in their own garage after having visited a local gun range. The criminals (no, there is no other word for them) were in the range/shop and had targeted these two because of their equipment. Why the two men who had just practiced their skills did not fight back, God only knows. But what I really want to know is if a criminal is willing to approach two men, obviously armed with the latest cool guy gear, what could possibly be a deterrent? The honest answer is there really is no deterrent. They've already crossed the line and shown absolute disregard even when knowledgeable of a victim having a firearm on person.

Now, I know some of you might be thinking, "that's an isolated incident, my tactical gear let's criminals know I mean business." Well, yeah, I suppose you could be right in some if not most instances. Especially when the criminals are ignorant punks who prey on the weak. But why put it out there, what are you proving to anyone else? Couldn't you be just as safe or ready while carrying your weapon and gear in a more casual and truly discrete manner?

At one time I actually subscribed to the "gear is deterrent" school of thought. However, now that the line was crossed so close to home, I follow these simple rules.

1. Be a grey man

There are distinct advantages to appearing as though you are every day Jack and Jane going about your business. It may sound cold but you have the law of averages on your side. Do not isolate yourself for victimization by advertising your goods.

2. Be alert

Keep your head on a swivel and take note of unusual occurrences and suspicious activity. If you feel a situation isn't exactly safe, retreat to a secure place. Remember that your best defensive action is always avoidance.

3. Don't get caught with your pants down

While going about your business avoid carrying objects like bags or boxes that take both hands and try to keep your strong hand open. If loading large objects into your vehicle, ask the store if you can pull up to the front door. Minimize time with a cell phone to your ear as it not only broadcasts that you're not paying attention, but can effect your equilibrium as well.
    4. Your car is not a billboard

Do not keep stickers or emblems that might indicate a firearm or other gear being inside your vehicle. Showcase who you are via social networking sites if you care that much because though you may have all your gear on person, a criminal won't hesitate to bust a window and check for themselves.

To reiterate, it is always better to actively avoid conflict. Do not single yourself out as a possible victim by trying to impress others with your ninja style.

welcome to the forum!! You are correct. Its always better to blend in as opposed to stick out. As long as you carry yourself in a "i'm not an easy target so back off punk" sort of way, life will be good.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

One of the guys I know wears 5.11 this, and Tactical that... It embarrasses a few of us a little to be around him, and me when I realize I'm wearing a 5.11 belt. I wear it because it's a nice leather dress belt.

He is our local Mall Ninja.
    Knowing is half the battle.

Would my latest and greatest OD green Maxpedition pack be tactical-cool? Yes. Does my love of all cargo pants make me stand out to people that know those pants came from 5.11? Yes.

I do follow what your saying about not standing out, I try my best not too. I don't wear shirts that have Glock and HK written on them. But I don't see the point of avoiding things that function well just because you want to blend in better.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tysonc View Post

Do not keep stickers or emblems that might indicate a firearm or other gear being inside your vehicle. Showcase who you are via social networking sites if you care that much because though you may have all your gear on person, a criminal won't hesitate to bust a window and check for themselves.

To reiterate, it is always better to actively avoid conflict. Do not single yourself out as a possible victim by trying to impress others with your ninja style.
    You mean to tell me that you don't have any Front Sight yard signs to scare off the bad guys.

Front Sight: A Yard Sign Criminals Will Fear… - Self Defense & Firearms Training

Could a 4 weapon master ninja who moved his money to Guatemala be wrong?
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I am also a proponent of the gray man theory.

A lot of people wear cargo pants and shorts, as do I, but there are many on the market that don't highlight your carry lifestyle.

There are many who employ vests for their cover garment, but there are many options on that, too. I've heard of guys putting fishing type logos and such, on their vests to throw people off. Heck, I've heard of guys who wear fishing vests.

Most tacticool gear belongs on the range, or at your defensive classes, wear they're actually useful.

BTW, Welcome to the forum
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

jfl
    While I understand your position and it is very logic, I refuse to change my way of life because of fear.
    It so happens that I don't like the tacti-cool look, and dress in mostly jeans and shirts with some leather added when riding the Harley, so I pretty much blend in; but that's by taste, not by fear.

If I have to change the way I live because I am in fear of the BG's (lots of gang initiation crime in PB county) then, in my opinion, the BGs have already won.

I am going to live my life, my way, and will deal with the consequence.
    As N. Cage keeps saying in the movie "Ghostrider":
    You cannot live in fear !
    However you should not live in "white" either.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by Tysonc View Post
    Have you ever been at the mall and seen an "adventurous" type with a "discrete" carry vest and some 5.11's on and thought, "Geeze, could he be any more obvious"?I know you've had to have seen this guy somewhere before. He's advertising to the world that he has a gun and some cool guy gear. Unaware to himself what he is not showing us is that he is a skilled marksman or real world operator, because those guys don't have to play dress up to go to Piggly Wiggly. The problem here is he not only appears to be "militant" or hostile to the general public, but beyond that he has now isolated himself to be victimized for crimes of opportunity to be committed by an increasingly aware and brazen criminal element.

Just this past year here in Central Florida two men were victims of strong arm robbery in their own garage after having visited a local gun range. The criminals (no, there is no other word for them) were in the range/shop and had targeted these two because of their equipment. Why the two men who had just practiced their skills did not fight back, God only knows. But what I really want to know is if a criminal is willing to approach two men, obviously armed with the latest cool guy gear, what could possibly be a deterrent? The honest answer is there really is no deterrent. They've already crossed the line and shown absolute disregard even when knowledgeable of a victim having a firearm on person.

Now, I know some of you might be thinking, "that's an isolated incident, my tactical gear let's criminals know I mean business." Well, yeah, I suppose you could be right in some if not most instances. Especially when the criminals are ignorant punks who prey on the weak. But why put it out there, what are you proving to anyone else? Couldn't you be just as safe or ready while carrying your weapon and gear in a more casual and truly discrete manner?

At one time I actually subscribed to the "gear is deterrent" school of thought. However, now that the line was crossed so close to home, I follow these simple rules.

1. Be a grey man

There are distinct advantages to appearing as though you are every day Jack and Jane going about your business. It may sound cold but you have the law of averages on your side. Do not isolate yourself for victimization by advertising your goods.

2. Be alert

Keep your head on a swivel and take note of unusual occurrences and suspicious activity. If you feel a situation isn't exactly safe, retreat to a secure place. Remember that your best defensive action is always avoidance.

3. Don't get caught with your pants down

While going about your business avoid carrying objects like bags or boxes that take both hands and try to keep your strong hand open. If loading large objects into your vehicle, ask the store if you can pull up to the front door. Minimize time with a cell phone to your ear as it not only broadcasts that you're not paying attention, but can effect your equilibrium as well.
    4. Your car is not a billboard

All good advice...

Just as athletes like a challenge...some BGs love a challenge...

Stick out as a "tough guy" and you will attract a certain kind of BG...

I'd rather look "common"...I have some cargo shorts purchased at a normal department store...nothing tactical...

Be Aware, or Beware!!!
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

I don't want a BG coming to me prepared for and expecting a fight, same reason I don't OC
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Also for this same reason in H2H I won't take a defensive stance before a fight even begins...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

link or it didnt happen

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Tacti-cool is proof of effective marketing. No more/no less.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Good advice here. Same reason I don't have NRA stickers on my cars and don't open carry. I want the element of surprise and I don't want to give them reason to target me.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    You mean to tell me that you don't have any Front Sight yard signs to scare off the bad guys.

Front Sight: A Yard Sign Criminals Will Fear… - Self Defense & Firearms Training

Could a 4 weapon master ninja who moved his money to Guatemala be wrong?

That sign just screams "Wait till I leave the house to rob me. Free guns inside."
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Most of the time I wear Levi's and Harley T-shirts (summer) or sweatshirts (fall/winter), but occasionally I "dress up" and wear 5.11 cargo pants with the same shirts as with Levi's or get really dressed up and wear an untucked LL Bean or Gander Mtn long or short sleeved shirt. The 5.11s were on sale for less than $20, and I would bet that 99% of the people at the mall don't know/can't tell the difference between 5.11 cargos and all the other brands of cargos out there that half the men are wearing at the mall! I bet the only people who really pay attention are other "carriers". And I know people who wear cargos that don't carry. I also have a vest I wear on occasion, but don't wear it with cargos, only with Levi's, and I don't wear NRA or "gun" hats or shirts. I don't go out trying to look "Tacti-cool" but there is a college and an AFB near where I live and you'd be surprised at the number of cargo pants, vests, and back packs that are worn/carried by many in this area. Being a "grey man" is all about blending in. As the saying goes, "When in Rome..."
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links