Range safety - from a different perspective

This is a discussion on Range safety - from a different perspective within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; our local outdoor public range usually has 2 rso on the pistol range and every one i have seen oc's......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Range safety - from a different perspective

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    our local outdoor public range usually has 2 rso on the pistol range and every one i have seen oc's...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    My wife and I are RSOs at our range. We run this exact scenario everytime we are together at the range.

Guantes and 1st Srgent both had excellent ideas.

As bladen suggested, I really think it is a "remote" possibility. (I have heard of it happening though.) It's just ONE more reason I don't "shoot" alone!

The indoor range I train at is same.

I was speaking largely to outdoor ranges, although I've been to low grade indoor ranges that have no RSO working what so ever direct or even monitoring the facility (!).

Even still I have no thought toward the RSO.
    My own security, well being and peace of mind is on me...Not some guy or gal making $10/hr. to eyeball safety violations.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I also don't go to a range without a cc. A duplicate of my cc allows practice/training without revealing my cc.

The range where I shoot gets some "questionable" clientele from time to time. I always try to get a spot on the line as far from the entrance as I can, with a wall to one side of me. That way I can at least know I won't be attacked from one side.

A while back I wasn't able to make my normal Friday afternoon range visit. I found out the next day that a guy had gone in, rented a gun, stepped up on the firing line, and put it in his mouth. Glad I wasn't there that day...

It's not totally unheard of. The two guys involved in the 1986 Miami shootout robbed and shot a guy who was target shooting. I thought I remembered that's how they acquired some of their guns, but I'm not 100% sure of that. I looked it up quickly on wikipedia and this is all it says:

On 12 March 1986, Platt and Matix robbed and shot Jose Collazo while Collazo was target shooting at a rock pit. The pair left Collazo for dead and stole his car, a black 1979 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. Collazo survived the shooting and walked three miles to get help.
    1986 FBI Miami shootout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Updated: 11:06 PM Jul 9, 2008
    testimony: Wilson Shot Pastor McCalla NEW VIDEO
    The case against Daniel Smith and Stephen Wilson is now on its way to the grand jury. The two men are accused of murdering a Huntington pastor, Mark McCalla. WEB EXTRA: Preliminary Hearing Raw Video & testimony
    Posted: 8:18 AM Jul 9, 2008
    Reporter: WSAZ News Staff
    Email Address: news@wsaz.com

WAYNE, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A Wayne County magistrate sent the murder case of Daniel Smith and Stephen Wilson to the grand jury Wednesday afternoon. The two are accused of murdering Huntington pastor Mark McCalla at a gun range in Beech Fork last month.

The story with video report can be found at; testimony: Wilson Shot Pastor McCalla NEW VIDEO

Another one of those nothing ever happens around here everybody knows everybody type areas.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I tend to go during slow times. Mid day, mid week. RSO is armed, sometimes 2 if busy. Lot's of LEO's practice there too. The last 3 times there have been trainees there. Bonus. I pick the 2 lanes against the wall if I can. My pistol is loaded, I can CC there. When I get to the lane, if I am shooting my EDC then my carry mag is on the table. I shoot out of a dedicated range mag. There is a spare on my left side. I try to keep an eye out for everyone else while I watch my wife shoot. I've seen a couple questionable characters, and more than a few very new shooters. It's good to know whats around you. I have 2 pair of electronic muffs coming this week. That will help me keep track of whats going on too.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    to the OP: rule one--lock the gate behind you!! If all members have keys, then if you lock the gate behind you, potentially only other members can come up behind you; rule two: as already suggests, get electronic ear muffs, so you can still hear somebody approaching; Rule three (as already posted) keep head on swivel).........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Gate is always locked - club rule. That doesn't stop one from walking in either down the road or through the woods.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    OK--understand- -we have the same rule. I like the idea of the electronic earmuffs-good excuse to buy a set
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by kristensdad View Post
    Gate is always locked - club rule. That doesn't stop one from walking in either down the road or through the woods.
    Ditto and yep.

As well with regularity I have found first hand that _other_people will not only let me through under their own pass access (my car in queue behind them), but they will do so without having any idea what so ever that I am actually a member.
    I don't wear my range hat with ID buttons on the street and there is _nothing_ about me nor on my car that in any way indicates 'member' or that guy is a 'shooter'.

Never mind that walking past, under or around the gate is childs play including into and through the bordering woods.
    second outdoor facility near me doesn't even pretend and has no gate at all. You just drive in and start shooting, honor system style (!).

To my mind and experience gates & locks are ornamental.

- Janq

wonder if it's ever happened? at least recently? I read a post of a guy who said he didn't like so and so's gunshop indoor range because as he pulled up, an ambulance was there and he saw a bloody body come out under a cover. apparantly, according to the story, this guy had come in, and asked to rent a pistol, got it and loaded it up, and committed suicide. this guy who told this story was upset that the gunshop would not talk about it and tried to cover the whole thing up. so he would not go there anymore to shoot.

I have thought this very same thing only at outdoor shooting areas up in the mountains. here you are wanting to practice shooting for defense purposes, and yet you may be actually upping your remote risk of being shot by going up there in the first place. I was up there and this kid pulled up where I was shooting and I just kept the gun in the seat of my car and hoped he would just leave, he didn't so I just said well I want to shoot a bit more here, then I'll let you have the site to shoot and went out and shot some more. he was interested in what gun I had so I showed him the gun with it pointed very much away from his direction and the safety on of course. but I was thinking here I am with a loaded gun and this kid don't know me, and were up here miles from anybody. what if I had been some drunk goofball and didn't have the safety on, etc, this poor kid could have been shot accidentally or something. then when his fellow 19 year olds showed up to shoot, I thought I don't even want to be around them. time to go, who knows how safety conscious they were?

Quote Originally Posted by kristensdad View Post
    Here in Georgia a few years back at a public range (national forest) not far from here there was actually a shootout - fortunately, the bad guys all lost.
    Wait, someone was dumb enough to attack someone at a range? You know, where people have loaded guns? Better attacking someone at home, the gun is less likely to be loaded, much less on the person.
    Knowing is half the battle.

I remember a case a year or so ago of a guy who was a member on The High Road forum. He was shot while out at a range. I did a search and found his screen name and read some of his posts and he talked about going to the range... spooky. I think it is a risk. I've also heard of people that have been followed home from the range and robbed in their driveway. I think it is a good idea to have a CC or at least a spare loaded mag handy when at the range. You never know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links