Range safety - from a different perspective

This is a discussion on Range safety - from a different perspective within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm relatively new to Defensivecarry.com but in my daily review of the posting I have pondered a question. How safe are you at your local ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I'm relatively new to Defensivecarry.com but in my daily review of the posting I have pondered a question.

How safe are you at your local range? I ask this because I am a member of a local outdoor range. We have keys to the gate and can shoot whenever we want (well, daylight anyway). Most days I shoot at lunchtime (it's only 5 minutes from my office - poor, pitiful me!). Anyway, most days when I am there I am the only one there. Sure, I'm armed, probably with half a dozen guns but while I am shooting I have my back to the driveway and have hearing protection in. Any suggestions?

Here in Georgia a few years back at a public range (national forest) not far from here there was actually a shootout - fortunately, the bad guys all lost.

While shooting ranges (Outdoor) do tend to be somewhat remote by nature, I never have considered myself a "target" for criminals while there. I do keep a wary eye out for others in the area though.

I think breaking into a gun store would be a much easier way to get weapons with a lesser chance of getting shot by someone who is honing their skills at the time. It would take some real stones to try that on someone on a firing line but I am sure it's happened.
    2A is not negotiable

I leave one ready to go on the bench while I fire the other one. In other words always have one ready. True while range is cold you have to unload, but you are then aware what's going on around you. If you are shooting alone, you could leave one hot.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

When you shoot, why not practice 360 degree scanning after you fire? Just another thing you can incorporate into your training for situational awareness and as a procedure to assess if you need to "fight" anymore if in an actual situation.

F.A.S.T ... Fight...Assess...Scan...TopOff

Just an idea.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    When you shoot, why not practice 360 degree scanning after you fire? Just another thing you can incorporate into your training for situational awareness and as a procedure to assess if you need to "fight" anymore if in an actual situation.

F.A.S.T ... Fight...Assess...Scan...TopOff

Just an idea.
    Not just an idea, but a very good idea. Keep your head on a swivel
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Since only members have keys...

[QUOTE=kristensdad;1663050We have keys to the gate and can shoot whenever we want (well, daylight anyway). [/QUOTE]

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I suppose you could prop a mirror up on the shooting bench to keep an eye on what is behind you but let's try not get too paranoid.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

If you use amplified hearing protection, you will be able to hear everything, other than when you are actually firing.

If you have one weapon, keep a spare mag always loaded on the bench and keep you eyes open

if you have more than one, keep on concealed on you and keep you eyes open
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    do you think there is a realistic defense against someone who shows up at the range and starts shooting on the line near you then decides to shoot you?...where a simple turn and fire is all it would take?...

this is up there with thinking nobody can get close enough on the street to attack you...its a real possibility...long shot but possible...and at a range where you are the only ones there the possibility is stronger...

but we may be getting just a bit paranoid now...

bnb,

My wife has asked about just this sort of scenario happening at the outdoor range where I train.
    To be honest it's a consideration of my own mind too.

Here is what I have normally do and have been doing for years now...

* I always park my car length wise and directly behind the actual lane where I am shooting;
    * I always try to select the top or bottom most lane so that I'm only adjacent to one shooter (left or right side). I do this at indoor ranges too.
    * I always as a rule carry when at the range. I do not run the gun that I am carrying.
    Note: If practicing draw & engage from the holster drills though then I will keep my duty magazines plural in my left rear pocket for easy and quick access. I will not go down range to put out/fix targets without having a loaded gun on my person. My rule.

* I actively try to train at times and on days when most other people are not thinking to go to the range.
    If it's overcast...I'm there. If it's drizzling...I'm there. I've even gone out on purpose during a steady rain to train. Why? Because I can almost be sure nobody else will be there to disturb me. And a rain slicker keeps me dry as I go to put out my targets (plastic pumpkins).

* If/when other people do show up I will stop shooting and appear to take a break. I'll load magazines or simply step away from my lane as to look as though I'm taking a rest/breather.
    In doing so though by all actuality I am actively observing the other(s). Do they look to me to be sketchy. Does their car have paraphanalia or some other overt/covert clues toward their interests or mindsets being the sort that could result in trouble for a guy like me (negro).
    To this latter item that is not at all a matter of paranoia or 'lookin fer trouble' thought. It is survival. This is America, and there in all manner of people with shall we say; Problems.

Also I will watch the shooter(s) to see if they are practicing basic firearm and range safety protocol. I do this at indoor ranges too.
    If I see the person arrive looking or acting in the least bit wrong...I will pack my gear up and leave. Period.
    Tomorrow is another day, and my kids need me to return home today.

* As they shoot and handle firearms does the shooter(s) show a minimum degree of proficiency with their firearm.
    Proficiency meaning ability to actually handle the gun properly. Can they keep the bore down range, or not. Do they shoot the ceiling, floor or over the back stop (!)?
    If so, then I pack up and go home. I have twice even left my target down range too not feeling safe to go out there with a questionable minded person being up range of me with firearms.

* If I drive up and see a long line of shooter(s) such as the days leading up to hunting season, I will then do a slow drive by to eyeball all vehicles and persons as best I can see. I go by my gut.
    If it says leave, I leave and come back another day.
    Otherwise I may get out and shoot too...But my above methods and rules continue to apply.

But bottom line when I am at any public/civilian use range I follow the above methods and rules, always.
    If at all my gut starts talking to me, I leave.
    Normally my gut is silent and only speaks up when there is something not quite right.

Some folk might think me being paranoid.
    Most of the RSOs I've talked to though who work such places and public events agree with my view, and 'policy'. Some being aware of my method will even go so far as to reserve an outer lane for me when I arrive or to segregate me from those of the public as I train (indoor).

I could see how a person might think such thoughts to be paranoid, and maybe I am.
    I'd rather wear that shirt though than one colored detention center orange or hospital ward blue. : |

- Janq

Spence: You worried about saving your own skin?
    Sam: Yeah, I am. It covers my body.
    Ronin, 1998
    Ronin (1998) - Memorable quotes
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

one thing is for sure, trying that at a crowded range with RSOs is a suicide mission
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Does their car have paraphanalia or some other overt/covert clues toward their interests or mindsets being the sort that could result in trouble for a guy like me (negro).
    Once when driving to Kentucky I stopped in Ohio for Gas around...4 AM? We were the only car at the station besides one other that pulled up in a pickup after we arrived. guys pulled into the adjacent pump and one left the truck and one stayed in the truck. My spidey sense was already tingling...

guy tries to engage into conversation with me as I look over his shoulder and notice Klan propaganda hanging from his rear view... so I am like hmmm.... black guy out in the middle of Ohio late at night....passed a huge confederate flag about 15 miles ago.... two bald white guys with goatees come and one talks to me with propaganda in their truck...needless to say I left that station before he even finished a second sentence... I figured no good could come of this...LOL
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    one thing is for sure, trying that at a crowded range with RSOs is a suicide mission
    Not necessarily CTS.

At the outdoor ranges where I shoot...I very rarely see people carry a firearm, on their person.

Typically outerwear is a tucked in shirt, thus unlikely to have a concealed handgun.
    As well I don't often see people having any sense of what is going on around them.
    Honestly I think it would actually be pretty easy for a duo if not single person to pull off an action at such places.

As well at outdoor public ranges typically to my experience there are no RSOs on the line. Just a guy singular or maybe two who travel by foot or car from one line to another eyeballing things to see if anybody is bleeding. Those guys I never see armed...And always they are Joe Blow civilian types in all manner of average pro-gun American physical conditioning; Overweight and aged 55+.

My most recent visit to my local outdoor range the RSO was a 90+ yr. old gentleman who is a three war veteran (WW2, Korea and Vietnam).
    He and I talked about life, living and shooting...As during a period when I took a break, to on the sly watch another shooter that had arrived.
    I would not personally trust in numbers nor assume that because others around me have guns that some drunk/drugged or simply criminal minded persons would not think to make a play at a gun range.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Yep...You know what I'm talkin' about CTS. [Your secondary post]

I've been there as well several times, ironically though only as I have been up here in of all places MA.
    Not what one would think to expect but again as I'd said this is America, and it's full of Americans...A people who come in every color, creed and miind set under the sun. : |

- Janq

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Yep...You know what I'm talkin' about CTS. [Your secondary post]

I've been there as well several times, ironically though only as I have been up here in of all places MA.
    Not what one would think to expect but again as I'd said this is America, and it's full of Americans...A people who come in every color, creed and miind set under the sun. : |

- Janq
    it can happen anywhere!

And about ranges, I guess everyone is different, the indoor one I usually go to has or two young RSOs who stand behind everyone locked and loaded and observing
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links