Let's talk about dog attacks

This is a discussion on Let's talk about dog attacks within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For the last few days, I've taken my sons (ages 11 and seven) out for a stroll on a fairly deserted four-lane highway near where ...

Thread: Let's talk about dog attacks

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

Let's talk about dog attacks

For the last few days, I've taken my sons (ages 11 and seven) out for a stroll on a fairly deserted four-lane highway near where we live. There is a nice sidewalk on both sides for bicycling, jogging, etc... Sometimes they'll ride their little Razor scooters and I'll either ride a bicycle or just walk. It's been very peaceful and a lot of fun.

But it makes me think; what if we had to deal with a vicious dog? I always go armed, currently with a Taurus .45 (soon to be replaced) until the Kahr PM9 gets broken in. I have no worries that the .45 would easily dispatch a dog, but what concerns me are the legalities thereof. Obviously, I wouldn't let a dog attack my kids under any circumstance, but I'm sure there's a certain degree of risk involved where the law is concerned.

Do any of you have stories or other input on this? Even with good owners, a dog can sometimes get loose. I surely hope it never happens, but I also believe in being prepared.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

Springer,

There have been multiple threads on this subject including report by members civilian and police (on duty) who have encountered canines as well as even fired on them.

Run a search, it should be exceedingly easy to find.
    There is much reading here on this subject to current.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Threatening dogs

This recent thread went 8 pages before it was closed. A search will bring up more info than you can read in a weekend.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I believe most SD laws are similar in using lethal force if threatened with death or serious injury. I don't recall any of them stating it has to be a human making the threat.

But if it makes you feel better, that long range wasp spray will stop a dog.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I have killed an attacking dog in self-defense with my .40 2 yrs. ago. No legal repercussions. It all depends on your jurisdiction.

Depends on your state and local laws. In my state, you are only legal to do so if in defense of livestock or property. However, the most they can really get you with is destruction of property, and I've never known this to be prosecuted. Now we do have a new law that makes it a pretty serious crime to willingly kill pets--but there is an exclusion in that law for defense of "life and property".

I would guess by saying wild dogs would be no problem. AND--if you blast the meth-heads' pit bull that's always loose, I doubt the police will give you any grief, but the owners might.

Seems like overkill to me, unless the dogs are savaging someone or seriously threatening your kids. I've had a number of dogs THREATEN me, but none ever closed if I stood tall and shouted "NO!" in a tone that suggested "Stop or die!"

Depends on part in the area - traffic, closeness of houses or cars, etc - how dangerous would a shot be to others if you missed.

I have also found (with dogs who attacked my dog first) that I could grab them by the throat, lift up and hold them standing vertical. In that position, a dog has no leverage and it scares the daylights out of them. They are completely helpless and they know it. The few times I've done it, the dog lost all interest in anything but submission.

One exception - a few years ago, walking our 65 lb Humane Society special, a Rottie came out and stalked us. He weighed in at 200 lbs, and I later learned he disliked dogs. He was no threat to me, but he wanted to attack my mutt. My mutt was a year old and we had only owned him a few weeks, but he was equally determined to stay between me and the Rot.

Happily, there was construction going on and I found a heavy steel bar. My plan was to let the Rot attack Dan the dog, and then kill the Rot with the bar. About that time, the owner came running up and pulled the dog away while telling me how friendly he was.

And she was partially correct. Her dog liked PEOPLE....just hated other dogs. And 200 lbs of muscle is nothing to sneer at. I told her if it happened again, I'd get a shotgun and kill her dog myself. The following week, she built a fence to keep her dog in.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If a dog attacks you (I don't mean stand off and snarl), you have every right to protect yourself, whether it's a stray, wild, or the neighbor's "loves everybody" pet. A threat to life is a threat to life. Now if you happen to take down a pouchie dog, you might have some 'splaining to do afterwards.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If a dog attacks you (I don't mean stand off and snarl), you have every right to protect yourself, whether it's a stray, wild, or the neighbor's "loves everybody" pet. A threat to life is a threat to life. Now if you happen to take down a pouchie dog, you might have some 'splaining to do afterwards.
    'bout sums it up for me.

Due to the political leanings of my local area I will let a dog bite me before I deal with the problem in a lethal manner. I accept that as a given. Others may not be so inclined, and I haven't had to do so, and hope I never do. The thing is, if I go to discharging my gun I stand a very real liklihood of a bullet going somewhere I don't want it to. Therefore I have opted for a blade in regards to dog attacks.

Yes, I've had a little training in the matter, and worn a bite suit too. I recognize that it won't be "pretty" and that I may be maimed for life. As I grow older I may not be so inclined to deal with things in this manner, but I also don't have any children I'm protecting either. That too is a consideration for folks to keep in mind.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by bsms View Post
    I have also found (with dogs who attacked my dog first) that I could grab them by the throat, lift up and hold them standing vertical. In that position, a dog has no leverage and it scares the daylights out of them. They are completely helpless and they know it. The few times I've done it, the dog lost all interest in anything but submission.

Interesting. I've heard this before but never seen it in action. Are you talking about small or medium sized dogs...or a German shepherd? What happens when you eventually let them go?

I've done it a few times on dogs up to around 90 lbs. I don't think I'm strong enough to do it with a 150-200 lb dog. I then shook them while yelling in their face (and trying to block my own dog from disemboweling them). Maybe the dogs I've done it with were wimps, but they all became submissive. A couple I handed back to their owners, and a couple I just shoved back and watched...remember, I had my own dog with me, and he was a pretty tough fighter when forced. The dogs I shoved back & released just took off running.

The advantage was that the dog WAS helpless. He may be a powerful animal, but his legs have no power when his body is vertical. Holding him up puts my arms along his chest and my hands at his throat, so it isn't easy to bite me. However, it would be tough to grab a charging dog reliably by the throat. The dog I owned back then had hair 12" long, and dense - other dogs could chew on him all day without drawing blood - so I let him take the initial attack, and THEN grabbed the throat. That was the most dangerous moment, since my hands and arms were exposed momentarily to the dog's teeth.

Haven't done it in years. That was back when I took my dog jogging thru neighborhoods, and surprisingly respectable looking people would sic their dogs on me and Chris thinking it would be funny...and then get upset when Chris (the dog) and I beat the tar out of their dogs. One guy (a USAF major) warned me his dog could beat mine, and then opened the gate to sic his dog (doberman) on Chris!

Now I live next to public land, and jog in the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I will let a dog bite me before I deal with the problem in a lethal manner... may be maimed for life.
    Biker
    after being bitten by a Weimeraner in 2006 and still feeling the pain, I will never let a "friendly" dog that I don't know close enough to see their teeth. I'm not saying it is OK to shoot, just that I will not "let" a dog bite me! Pepper spray!
    I do everything the voices in my wife's head tell me to do!

Impossible is not a word. It's just a reason for someone not to try!

I don't plan on getting chewed. Did that as a smaller child, won't do it again!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Back in the summer of '95, I did some door to door canvasing and during that summer I was attacked by dogs about 7 times. Each time I used pepper spray sprayed directly in front of the dog as it closed w/ me, not directly into it's face. It stopped the attack instantly each and every time. The dog in each instance stopped cold in it's tracks, but your milage may vary. I also carried a AMT .380 Backup DAO in a pocket holster.

I learned several things about dogs and dog attacks. They are most often unprovoked and happen with the speed of a nightmare. Don't think you can out run a dog. They will catch you within a few yards. Beware of chained dogs. Sometimes their chain's length goes well beyond where you are standing and this fact is not wasted on the dog. He knows if he can reach you, you don't. Assume he can.

If you are carrying a gun and expect to stop a serious attack by a large determined dog like a Pit bull or large angry sheppard, go with a heavy caliber like a .40 or .45. Pits, can carry on an attack with major injuries to themselves. I have heard some very serious failure-to-stop stories (from cops) with lesser calibers, with some Pits soaking up 9mm HPs like a sponge and keeping up the attack till they were hit multiple times. This is NOT a senario you wish to be a part of say, if a Pit, Rottie, or other large animal is going "Alien" (yes, that "Alien" from the movies of the same name) on someone. I spoke with one lady that summer who was suddenly attacked by her friend's dog. She was bitten in the face and required MAJOR reconstructive surgery both on her face and inside her mouth. The attack was totally unexpected and came without warning from a pet she was familier with no less.

Just some thots....

Starsnbarz
    Deo Vindice!

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Links