Surrendering your weapon - Page 3

Surrendering your weapon

This is a discussion on Surrendering your weapon within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BikerRN Howdy Mr. Guantes. I have only one concern at that moment and will do what I think is best given my ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Howdy Mr. Guantes.

I have only one concern at that moment and will do what I think is best given my expirience and training, as well as "gut instinct". You too sir will do the same. To each their own. I can tell you that I will be assessing the situation and changing as needed to deal with it. Not having been in that situation there is no 100% guarantee how anyone will respond, and that only pertains to that situation, as each one is different in some small way.

Take care and stay safe.

Biker
    This is all anyone can do. I wish us both luck, should we ever be put in such an undesirable situation.

You stay safe also.
    Gloves

Each person must make the decision based on a number of things most are familiar with. Then they will have to live with that decision.

One point that I think is clear. "IF" he shoots your wife befor you take a shot, you have failed. I choose to rely on my own ability, rather than his sensitivity/humanity.

You all missed the only correct answer. Tell BG listen we are going thru a bitter divorse and she is tring to take my kids away from me. Now that my kids are safe over here. I dont give a hoot what happens to her. Take her with you so I can sit down and finish my diner. If this statement does not get the BG to have a puzzled look on his face and lower his gun for a second. Nothing will. So as he lowers firearm he is getting a headshot.

I will deal with the Mrs being pissed later.

15 seconds? I'm putting my bullet into his eye.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    Who in their right mind would draw their CC at this point in time? It's clearly not an opportune time to shoot the BG, all it does is put your family and greater danger and remove the opportunity to shoot him when an opportunity arises later.

I would keep it hidden so he assumes I am a regular unarmed civilian, wait until he turns around and then shoot him in the back.
    +1 to keeping the gun hidden but since we are playing by the OPs rules....

I seek cover so I don't get shot and let the mexican standoff ensue. I'm not giving up my gun and I explain to him that if he shoots my wife he is next to die. I would look for an open shot if one became available. More likely I would just try to talk him into leaving without hurting anyone else.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    I searched this two or three different ways and did not find anything if it is a recent repeat please delete.

It is easy to sit here and type in a response to a post with almost a 100% this is what I would do response so lets see how this one goes.
    Please answer honestly based on your skill level and how well you think you would react under stress.

You are sitting in a fast food restaurant with your family. Your wife takes one of the kids to the bathroom and leaves you with the other at the table.

You notice a subject walk in dressed in a military field jacket even though it is warm outside which raises your SA. As your wife exits the bathroom and walks by the subject he pulls out what you see is a Smith model 60 revolver and announces this is a holdup and grabs your wife.
    Your child runs screaming to you as you stand up drawing your CC the BG now knows two things you are armed and that the hostage is related to you. A couple of things here ... He is aware that he has grabbed my SO, simply because the child has run to ME screaming. I have COMMITED to a course of action by standing and presenting my weapon. The BG is now aware he is in a face off of some type, but HE is unsure now as to how it will pan out. It is during this time that I am making up MY mind as to how I will direct the situation and not wait for the BG to issue direction.

He announces all he wants is money and he will leave. A male employee attempts to grab him and is shot in the upper thigh for his trouble. He tells you this "put down your gun, give me the money and I will leave without problem" if not he will shoot his hostage. Again, a couple of additional points. He states all he wants is money, yet shoots an employee in the leg, demonstrating he is NOT shy about using his weapon and anything he said prior to that is probably a lie. He then states if I do not relinquish my weapon, he will shoot my SO, which I believe based on his demonstrated actions to this point. This in itself cements my decision that I am NOT waiting, nor putting my weapon down, but am about to fire. My wife also realizes what my decision is based on the look in my eyes and our discussion of this scenario. When I yell DROP, I am moving at a 45 degree angle FORWARD to my left or right and she is dropping as I take my shot(s). By moving forward at an angle I am closing the distance and improving target acquisition. I think at this point, my adrenaline will have taken over and everything around me would be excluded with the exception of what I am focused on doing at the time. I will NOT advise the BG that he has a choice of relinquishing his hostage and leaving, or facing the consequences and I will NOT give up my weapon. HE has already chosen and so have I.

You are face to face at a distance of 12 yards, the hammer is down on his revolver, your kids are safely behind hard cover of a metal serving counter, you are mostly concealed by an overturned table, the suspect has his back to a solid brick wall, you have the right shoulder, arm and a 1/2 to 3/4 headshot. He has given you 15 seconds to comply. My child is semi safe, I am focused, hopefully I will have noticed the hammer down on his weapon. I am moving as I yell to my wife DROP, my wife drops and I am taking my shots initially to the most exposed part of his body, which as stated is his shoulder, which should hinder his ability on the first couple of hits before I move aim to what is now his most exposed part after my wife has dropped, which is his head. I think/hope that the shock of taking hits (the BG taking hits) will at least hinder any return fire. I feel that it will also distract him from shooting my SO and draw his concentration on to myself. I will fire until the threat is stopped...

14, 13, 12,........

Please do not respond with I dont eat fast food, I am not married, I have no kids and so on. Please feel free to insert the relative or significant other of your choice into the scenario. Please exclude mother in laws.
    I have tried to give my thoughts in bold above...I have trained from 15 yards in, moving left, right, forward, back, angle forward, angle back. I have confidence in my target acquisition ability and the running of my EDC. As is proven, I hope that I will default to the level of training that I have mastered. My wife and I have discussed mindset, choices, and preparation for what will happen prior to, during, and after a life altering experience. I pray every day that I never experience anything like this, but also pray for the strength to meet the BG headon with deadly accuracy. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

This does not sound like my wife. Her SA is WAY better than mine. But.. ok, ok...

I have a pretty hard and fast rule with my kids. No one leaves with them. That's pretty much the way I feel with my wife. Depending on his demeanor and my level of stress (how steady am I, how much of a target is there, where is the gun aimed right now) would be what makes my decision. If I feel steady enough, have a good target, and it's going south there is a good chance I would shoot. If my nerves are shot from the adrenaline then I'm hoping my wife looks for a chance to drop to give me a better shot. It's what I used to call situational discretion, letting the situation determine how you react. If he decides to take her hostage and leave the rules change drastically!

All that said, if I pre drew my weapon it would be to the side of my leg or just behind. Precisely to avoid being made.

HKinNY, priceless answer!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    This is why you should carry a bug. You put main weapon down, he drops his guard and *bang bang bang bang*, end of problem.
    I go with this one, adding one bang for a total of 5 (5 round cylinder in the revolver). Also I had to substitute "helpless relative" for wife - my wife, like me, is a 3rd - almost 4th - degree black belt, well versed in striking and grappling. He grabs her, it's the last thing he'll ever grab, and he'll be begging me to shoot him to end his misery.

But let's say he grabbed a helpless 2 year old...I'd go with the above. "Surrender" the main carry, draw the BUG (maybe saying "Okay, I dropped it and here's my wallet,") and end it.

The "option" of him leaving with the hostage, or me trusting that he'll take the money and leave the hostage OK, is not really an option as I'm not that trusting.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

VIP Member
    Guys this scenario is presented to make you think of your level of training and confidence in your abilities.
    The question is can you under stress put a shot or shots into a 4-5 inch target, the head, or 6-8 inch target, the shoulder/arm and be prepared for follow up shots if needed at a range of 12 yards with your current carry weapon.
    I attempted to fill in all the gaps i.e. kids are safe behind hard cover, there is a safe backstop, the brick wall, the hammer is down on the revolver meaning it will take a significant stroke on the trigger to fire a round.
    The responses are good keep them coming.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

It's pretty much all the same after you remove the window dressing. At the point that I feel my life is in danger, I am shooting the threat. I will continue shooting as best as I can as fast as I can and maybe start moving to increase distance until my life is no longer in danger.

I have the ability to make the shot and I have no doubt that I would take the shot, while closing the distance between us; there would be blood shed, but at least it would be on my terms.
    John Luttrell

3D
    Answer from my head: So if I've already drawn my weapon in my usually practiced manner it would be with both hands on the gun (my usual shooting grip) and both arms extended forward with sights on his head, safety off. I carry a crimson trace equipped Kimber - if that red dot confirms my sight picture he will never say 14. I can make that shot repeatedly at the range.

Answer from my emotions: Just thinking about this scenario intently makes my hands start trembling.

I'm going to keep that red dot on his head and pull the trigger while he's talking.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Not a situation I wish to consider. What ever I think or say now, when it hasn't happened, is most likely not going to be what I actually do if in that position.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Normally I hate this type of thread because it brings out the chest thumping macho men but
    something about it got me really thinking. My wife is the only human being on the face of this planet that I truly love. No matter what else happened I would kill the guy. I do not have the words to express that sentiment strongly enough but I assure you that if you harm my wife I willkill you regardless of the consequenses to myself you will die.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Nice scenario. I've discussed such scenarios with my wife and trained her in what to do in various scenarios (self-defense) (insert Grandkids) and in such a scenario as this, it would be one word from me to her "Drop" and she would instantly put elbow to wherever and become dead weight and I don't care who you are, dead weight going down will leave enough of you vulnerable enough and more then enough target area for me to acquire and I'm taking my best shots.

I do admit the talking about letting her go and him going his own way (the stand off scenario) without anything but his life is a good possibility and one that he would probably take, shooting someone in the thigh/leg is not the same as killing someone, lets keep this in perspective here.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links