Surrendering your weapon - Page 5

Surrendering your weapon

This is a discussion on Surrendering your weapon within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tacman605 If possible always try to leave an avenue of escape for the BG dont, if you can, get between him and ...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Surrendering your weapon

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    If possible always try to leave an avenue of escape for the BG dont, if you can, get between him and the door, tell him he is free to leave if he lets her go.
    But he's not. He threatened my wife, the only way he's leaving that store is in a bodybag.

I gave this some thought, I came up W/ a response and some rationales to back it up but I suspect that I'm still going to catch some flak for posting this but here's how I think I'd react

1. I don't believe for a second that he has any intention of letting my wife live so I have nothing to lose by trying.

2. The last thing I want is for him to have that gun pointed at her the easiest way I can think of to accomplish that is to give him another target, me.

3. I've been shot before. I know exactly what it feels like and I believe I can cover 12 yards before I bleed out.

4. Action always beats reaction, I bet I can get at least 3 steps (3 yards?) while he's screaming "stop or I'll shoot."

I'm going to close the gap as far as I can, then I'm going to start shooting and I'm not going to stop shooting until I'm dead or he's dead.

OK flame me

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    3. I've been shot before. I know exactly what it feels like and I believe I can cover 12 yards before I bleed out.
    Me thinks there is a story there....
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    Me thinks there is a story there....
    Not really, I was 21 or so and my dumb assed room mate was playing W/ a .38 and shot me. happened in Tarpon Springs Fla FWIW

On second thought there is a story the story is how Treo became absolutelty anal about gun safety that night and how Treo's number one rule, before all the others became " you do not touch a fire arm W/out checking the chamber ever . That's the story

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    hopefully he learned a lesson, I know you did.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    This sounds like a case where CT grips would be well worth the money, you have time to take aim and make it count.
    You put at least one round into his melon and hope your wife does as you have trained with her to do for years, which is drop to the ground/turn into dead weight, while you continue to try to neutralize the threat (aditional rounds to the melon).

I talk to him while my wife draws and shoots his nuts off. As soon as she drops out of the way I'm shooting.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Action beats reaction every time..... Headshot & Done

It may seem corny to some but the option of dead weight, faking a heart attack or fainting make the BG hold her up if she has the determination and state of mind to do it he will not do this for long or maybe just long enough to allow you a better shot it also may allow you to close the distance to where you feel you can make the shot.

FWIW, the easiest way to accomplish this is to simply lift your legs towards your chest. Just pick them straight up. Unless the have underhooked an arm, nearly no one can hold the dead weight of another person. Particularly when caught off guard. And if they did underhook an arm they are both going down most likely.

Treo, no argument from me. We talked about this in my CCP class in reference to kids. It's pretty widely accepted that if a stranger gets away with a kid they are not coming back alive. When asked if we would take the shot, I was one of a couple to answer yes. His answer was that he would rather have his child die of a gunshot from him than at the hands of BG. It's not a far reach to apply that to my wife.

As far as laser grips. I hope folks are better with them than the guy I saw at the range. He could not keep them steady. Seems to me it's like putting your scope on full power. It just exposes more problems to worry about. Maybe folks have better experiences with them.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    But he's not. He threatened my wife, the only way he's leaving that store is in a bodybag.

I gave this some thought, I came up W/ a response and some rationales to back it up but I suspect that I'm still going to catch some flak for posting this but here's how I think I'd react

1. I don't believe for a second that he has any intention of letting my wife live so I have nothing to lose by trying.

2. The last thing I want is for him to have that gun pointed at her the easiest way I can think of to accomplish that is to give him another target, me.

4. Action always beats reaction, I bet I can get at least 3 steps (3 yards?) while he's screaming "stop or I'll shoot."

I'm going to close the gap as far as I can, then I'm going to start shooting and I'm not going to stop shooting until I'm dead or he's dead.

OK flame me
    No flame here, I love my wife more then I can say even when she pisses me off. She's going to live no matter what I have to do even it means doing exactly what you have put down. It would be my last option, but an option no less and if my only options, it will be deployed without hesitation and with all due speed.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

My wife and I have TALKED about this type of scenario on several occasions.

Keep my weapon concealed/hidden as long as possible. Take the shot at the first opportunity.

You are face to face at a distance of 12 yards, the hammer is down on his revolver, your kids are safely behind hard cover of a metal serving counter, you are mostly concealed by an overturned table, the suspect has his back to a solid brick wall, you have the right shoulder, arm and a 1/2 to 3/4 headshot. He has given you 15 seconds to comply.

14, 13, 12,........

Please do not respond with I dont eat fast food, I am not married, I have no kids and so on. Please feel free to insert the relative or significant other of your choice into the scenario. Please exclude mother in laws.
    I guess you better practice dryfire, and be able to hit a 3x5 index card cold, on demand, from the holster at 10 yards

I lost a wife to cancer, I do not intend to loose one to the whim of some scumbag. I will take the shot and I will make the shot.

While bargining may work, if he gets a whim, doesn,t like your looks or whatever and shoots your wife, no amount of dead on the perp will bring her back. I will not take that chance.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    +1 to keeping the gun hidden but since we are playing by the OPs rules....

I seek cover so I don't get shot and let the mexican standoff ensue. I'm not giving up my gun and I explain to him that if he shoots my wife he is next to die. I would look for an open shot if one became available. More likely I would just try to talk him into leaving without hurting anyone else.
    I've read every response so far. The A+ goes to atctimmy. Assuming you've made the mistake of revealing that you are armed, then atcimmy's answer is just the way it should be handled from that point forward.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joecs1 View Post
    M&p 9c with ct. I dont think he will like that red light on his right eye ball! lights out!!!!!!!!!
    That's what I'm talking about! My M&P40 with crimson trace lasers. Draw, give him the option.
    We're not just going to let you walk out of here.
    Who's "we"
    Smith and Wesson and Me.
    SO drops to floor, I put the rounds on target. Then the phone call to the morgue.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    Brass. Generally speaking a shot to the head that penetrates into the brain will be devastating enough to end the fight. As far as the hand clench that is why I stated in the post that the hammer is down.
    On a revolver it would take a deliberate strong pull to the trigger to make it go off, not saying it could not, but dont know if the reaction to the head shot could or would do that.
    If your point of aim was just under the nose and they bullet penetrated to the medulla oblongata, brain stem, there would be no reaction he would just fall.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links