unthinkable horrible scenario-based on recent news - Page 2

unthinkable horrible scenario-based on recent news

This is a discussion on unthinkable horrible scenario-based on recent news within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK--just to clarify--I did not (or at least I don't think I did ) actually say that watching video games CAUSES any kind of mental ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: unthinkable horrible scenario-based on recent news

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    OK--just to clarify--I did not (or at least I don't think I did) actually say that watching video games CAUSES any kind of mental disorder, nor does it CAUSE kids to not understand the difference between right or wrong.

What I did (try) to say is that younger kids, often have a difficult time distingushing between real people and make-believe objects and a big diet of violent video games certainly does not help kids make those mental distinctions.

Dave Grossman, either in his book "On Killing" or in the lectures he gives (I had Dave come to Fort Bragg several times to speak with the MP Brigade that I was Chaplain for) talks about the impact of violent video games on kids............
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Re: unthinkable horrible scenario-based on recent news

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    ...younger kids often have a difficult time distingushing between real people and make-believe objects...
    This is probably true up to age seven or so. But age ten? Twelve? No way. They're definitely able to distinguish between real and make-believe; they just have trouble appreciating or pondering the rippling consequences of their actions. They also have trouble grasping the truth of their own mortality, the idea that they CAN in fact die. This is a result of being young, nothing more.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

This might be cold of me, but any kid pulls a gun, he is not playing games. Dead is dead.........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogtx View Post
    I am confused on "disparity of force". He has a gun, you have gun. Where is the disparity?
    I'm not sure if there's a specific term. Disparity of force as I've heard it used seems to refer to a general concept with some sub elements.

such as:
    male vs female
    is there more than one threat.
    Size/strength
    if the person is trained in martial arts or has previous training.

I've generalized these under the term disparity of force to remember them

It really doesn't matter what the "cause and effect" are in this kids reality.

In my reality, I'm facing an armed robbery and I will respond with merciless and deadly lethal force in an attempt to save my life before he kills me.

In my reality, I'm in fear of being killed in the next split second if I don't respond. The "gunman" has the opportunity, the ability and has placed me in jeopardy by pulling his gun on me in what I recognize as aggressive, assaultive, and combat behavior used exclusively by armed aggressors.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Well, If I am by myself, I run.

Since my sig other is involved I tell her to run and I take the gun from the kid.

Shooting a kid is the same as shooting a grandmother, I'm choosing not to do it.

Quick action is needed though, and there should be no hesitation.

In my neck of the woods it can still be done.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogtx View Post
    I am confused on "disparity of force". He has a gun, you have gun. Where is the disparity?
    Disparity of force usually only comes into play when a person utilizes lethal force to defend them self against an otherwise unarmed opponent.

If there is a group of unarmed aggressors attacking a single person, there is a force of numbers present where it doesn't matter if they are unarmed. A single individual is presumed to be unable to successfully defend himself against several assailants with out using a weapon.

If an unarmed aggressor is so physically mismatched against the defender because of the aggressors massive size, strength and height advantage, it is presumed that a normal person would be unable to effectively defend them self without using a weapon.

Likewise with a large unarmed male aggressor against a female victim. It is presumed that the female would be unsuccessful in defending herself without a weapon.

And again, if an unarmed aggressor is attacking an individual who has a physical disability or frailty it can be presumed that he can not successfully defend himself without the use of a weapon.

So disparity of force really only comes into play when one uses lethal force against an unarmed but superior aggressor.

If that aggressor is armed with a deadly weapon, you can automatically respond with lethal force to defend yourself. Disparity of force is not an issue when the aggressor is armed with a deadly weapon, regardless if they are a teenager, pre-teen or middle aged.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

12 years old or 25 and 6'5" makes no difference. If I can he is going to get shot. The gun is an equaliser in both directions.

Take the gun away from the child and give him a firm spanking.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I'll take my wallet out and comply, I'll throw it to the side of him that he has to reach down and away with his gun hand from us. Then it's pull and fire without hesitation. As someone stated here and my experiences in the military also, 12 or 32, a gun in either hand will kill me.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Baby rattlesnakes concern me just as much as adult ones.
    Eliminate the threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    Don't think I'll speculate, but one thing I can tell you from experience in a combat zone is that a 12 year old with a gun can kill you just as dead as a 32 year old with a gun.
    Probably deader. At 12 the skills are fresh when you train at 10. 32 gives time for skills to relax.
    Knowing is half the battle.

Just as professionals train in real-life to make motor-actions and shoot/no-shoot reactions a reflex response, kids playing highly "realistic" video games in which they make bloody person-on-person killing a thought-free reflex are doing the same thing, except they have a joystick or keyboard in their hand instead of a gun. Note also that the military and Law Enforcement has for some time been using "realistic" video games to teach strategy and rapid shoot/no-shoot reflexes. The next generation pilots flying the armed UAV's are doing nothing different from playing a video game, but the missles they launch kill real people in real-life. So the lines between video games and real-life are becoming blurred by new technology as well as mental conditioning of kids exposed to video violence in games and movies.

However, in the moment of such a confrontation, if a person has presented a real and imminent threat to me and mine, they are fair-game for being shot.

Alchemist77

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I believe that you're going to need some form of distraction, the reaching for a wallet,the taking of a step, something. Because no matter what your training,mindset or skill level maybe. You're still going to be a "little" slow on reaction because you're looking at a "kid".

Granted, it's a kid that needs shot.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links