unthinkable horrible scenario-based on recent news - Page 3

unthinkable horrible scenario-based on recent news

This is a discussion on unthinkable horrible scenario-based on recent news within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Movement, distraction, deceit, pleading, etc, any or all may have a use in any given situation....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: unthinkable horrible scenario-based on recent news

Movement, distraction, deceit, pleading, etc, any or all may have a use in any given situation.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Take the gun away from the child and give him a firm spanking.
    Disciplining that child is not my responsibility. My responsibility is protecting my life and the lives of those I love.

I'm sorry, but a gun is a gun, no matter who is holding it. It doesn't matter if its loaded, either. He points it at me, I have to assume he intends to kill me or do great harm. It doesn't matter if its a 12 year old child with a gun, an 80 year old grandmother with a gun, a 21 year old athlete with a knife, or a dog. If I feel something or someone intends to do great harm or death to me, I will shoot, or I'll die trying.

Speaking from a strictly personal viewpoint, as one that has had an armed encounter with a lady that has tried to stick an 8" knife in his gut, a lady that most folks wouldn't consider shooting, I can say that training and instinct do in fact take over.

They, training and instinct, keep your intoxicated mother from trying to filet you like a fish. Kid, mother, dirtbag, it makes no difference to me. A lethal threat is a lethal threat, and will often be met with appropriate violence and force in my world.

So, in answer to the question, would I shoot a twelve year old? As surely and quickly as I would a seventy year old.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    Don't think I'll speculate, but one thing I can tell you from experience in a combat zone is that a 12 year old with a gun can kill you just as dead as a 32 year old with a gun.
    Pretty much sums it up for me.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

We all say that the use of deadly force is a LAST resort.
    I understand he has a gun. 12 or 21 he could shoot and kill. totally understood.
    But no one here would take a second and see if you could take him out fist?
    hand him your wallet, and when he goes for it knock him the #*^$ out. This is questionable when its a grown person, but a 12 yo? You could probably be able to read him well enough to tell if he is srs business or if he is scared and unsure.

just a thought.

please tell me if i am wrong...
    Life is a game of chance, be prepared to throw down when its time to dance. If your young, enjoy it cuz your youth is gold and never waste time every single day you grow old. written is a page in the book for you, with hard times and bad luck to see what you will do.

First, you have to close the ten feet between you without getting shot.

Right. hand him the wallet if he steps closer, take him out.
    12 yos arnt the best tactitions in the world Im sure you could find a way.
    but if all else fails pop him
    Life is a game of chance, be prepared to throw down when its time to dance. If your young, enjoy it cuz your youth is gold and never waste time every single day you grow old. written is a page in the book for you, with hard times and bad luck to see what you will do.

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreSlot View Post
    We all say that the use of deadly force is a LAST resort.
    I understand he has a gun. 12 or 21 he could shoot and kill. totally understood.
    But no one here would take a second and see if you could take him out fist?
    hand him your wallet, and when he goes for it knock him the #*^$ out. This is questionable when its a grown person, but a 12 yo? You could probably be able to read him well enough to tell if he is srs business or if he is scared and unsure.

just a thought.

please tell me if i am wrong...
    scared and unsure
    That makes it more likely that the worst will happen.

Kid, Grandmother, whatever, I don't much care. I will consider the situation, and if I think it's warranted, respond with lethal force. In the other scenario, about the badguy holding your spouse hostage, it is only the consideration of possibly shooting my spouse that keeps me from actively engaging the threat at that time.

All situations are subject to change, and thus the response will change as well, depending upon the situation. For the most part, if you place me in fear of my life or grave bodily injury, and I have the opportunity, I will respond in what I consider an appropriate manner.

I do what I can to avoid being in fear of my life, or grave bodily injury, but that doesn't mean it can't happen again.

Biker

VIP Member
    Ok good scenario. Guys if you get the chance you need to read some of Lt.Col Grossman's articles or books. I think the point trying to be made on here by the OP is that kids that constantly play hyper violent video games become desensitised to a violent act.
    As stated so well the disparity of force issue does not come into play, IMO, is this. A gun is the great equalizer he is armed so whether is 12 or 20 makes no difference.
    To the case at hand do I want to have to shoot a 12 year old or anyone for that matter no, will I to protect myself and spouse yes.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

He gets within about 10 feet and pulls out a nice shiny, chrome-plated revolver and points it at you and tells you to hand over all your stuff. What do you do now???
    Well, you can't outdraw a drawn gun pointed at you. Sooooooo......,
    the smartest thing would be to give it to him.

You could try a trick, have your gun out and ready to go if you can do so without being seen. When you give him the wallet, say nicely and quietly "OK, here it is" while tossing it to the left of the BG so he can't catch it, or even directly to him, and make the whole thing, words and action blend together. Usually an object suddenly appearing will take ones attention away for a moment, if he isn't sure what's going on he may move the gun instinctively towards the left as well as looking towards there or if it's being tossed at him, he might instinctively lower the gun to start to prepare to catch it. At THAT moment, pull your gun up an start shooting.

Will it work - it might.

Well, you can't outdraw a drawn gun pointed at you.

The above is not always true.

I believe we have a member here who has drawn against a shotgun pointed at him and would be considered the "winner" of that situation. He is certainly the survivor, as he is posting here.

If he wishes to reveal himself he will do so. Out of respect for this person, and his privacy I will not reveal who this person is.

Biker

Video games and movies make kids do bad things... [ Edited to keep from being pimp slapped by the mods ] BS!!!!

Kids have been doing really bad violent things to other people since before there were video games and a severe lack of movies to watch.

As one person posted - Parenting! Stop blaming the world for the failings of the breeder.

In the given scenario, I am not closing the gap. I'll bank on the distance giving me better odds on survival if the threat decides to pull the trigger. Nor am I going to comply. I am going to do whatever is necessary to stop the threat. I'm equal opportunity - I will not discriminate against any person threatening my life with a weapon. A threat to my life is a threat. I would not want to get sued by the family of a MS13 gang banger that tried to kill me and got shot if I did not treat the 12 y/o the same.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crankinNM View Post
    Well, If I am by myself, I run.

Since my sig other is involved I tell her to run and I take the gun from the kid.

Shooting a kid is the same as shooting a grandmother, I'm choosing not to do it.

Quick action is needed though, and there should be no hesitation.

In my neck of the woods it can still be done.
    10 year old boy/girl/mother/grandmother doesn't make a difference. They are armed with a deadly weapon and are intent on causing harm to me. They get no more special treatment that a 32 year old male with a gun.

In all actuality I'd be more worried about a 10-12 year old than an adult in this situation. Their actions tend to be more emotionally driven than thought driven.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    Don't think I'll speculate, but one thing I can tell you from experience in a combat zone is that a 12 year old with a gun can kill you just as dead as a 32 year old with a gun.
    This has already been quoted a few times before, but it says it all. There are a lot of variables in this scenario, so it makes it a little harder to give a concrete answer, but if the threat needs to be stopped.....
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    10 year old boy/girl/mother/grandmother doesn't make a difference. They are armed with a deadly weapon and are intent on causing harm to me. They get no more special treatment that a 32 year old male with a gun.

In all actuality I'd be more worried about a 10-12 year old than an adult in this situation. Their actions tend to be more emotionally driven than thought driven.
    95% are saying that...........

Actually the intent is not to cause you harm. The intent is to get your "stuff" by scaring you into compliance. Lots of room there to take advantage of a poorly thought out scheme withot being railroaded into the common protocol of a quick and deadly response.
    Last edited by crankinNM; June 20th, 2010 at 10:57 AM. Reason: forgot an L

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links