Scenario: Dog Shot in Yard

This is a discussion on Scenario: Dog Shot in Yard within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CowboyColby S.S.S. Originally Posted by OldLincoln Sorry, but I don't know what that means. S hoot S hovel S hut-up...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scenario: Dog Shot in Yard

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    S.S.S.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    Sorry, but I don't know what that means.

Shoot

Shovel

Shut-up
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Shoot

Shovel

Shut-up

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt...

While I don't believe it's a legal issue (protecting yourself on your own property), missing dog becomes no problem as all...much less hassle all the way around.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well the OP said 'attacking' so I can shoot to protect my horses. And I'd do so to protect the dogs too.

However the logistics of doing that without hitting my animals are ugly. I'd have to get in very close. Pepper spray would probably work as well or at least to get it to back off. If it approached again, shoot.

I have never practiced this however. (Using pepper spray, then shifting to gun) If at home, both would be in my hands and I'd have my animals to deal with as well. I should put some more thought into this.

Thanks for the scenario.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I actually asked this question to the Sheriff of a county I have a house in. I know this is coming from the Sheriff and to be taken lightly as its not the law verbatim. There are numerous stray dogs in the neighborhood. Recently one of the strays attacked someones dog as they walked out of the house and almost killed it before they could get the stray off the dog. According to the Sheriff its fine to shoot an animal in that county (you can discharge weapons there as its not city)if its attacking someone or another animal. Everyone in the neighborhood who walks carries a stick because of the dog issues. I mentioned that to the Sheriff and he said he'd even recommend carrying a gun while walking.

I was speaking to another neighbor about the issue as well and they said they shot a dog who attacked his chickens. He called to report it and they were not even concerned.

The dog problem is pretty bad, if you drive by in a car random dogs will jump on your car and scratch it. Unfortunately there are no leash laws or much of animal control there. Next time i'll have some sort of Pepper/OC spray for dogs when they run up on me.

Scenario: Dog Shot in Yard

What is the corresponding law to the Sheriff's assertion? Is is covered by state, county, or local ordinance? Have you read the laws yourself? Probably a good place to start...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

In Michigan, legally you cannot shoot to protect your property.

That property includes your pets.

If a dog is attacking your pet you cannot shoot to protect it.

However, if I thought the dog was attacking me.....dead dog.
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

An old college buddy of mine shot his neighbor's dog many years ago. It had repeatedly escaped into his yard and went after the chickens. They gave the neighbors ample warning to get the dog under control. One day the dog was loose and killing a chicken and he pulled out his rifle and shot it. There were no repercussions other than futher deteriorating the relations with the neighbors. This was in rural Spotsylvania, VA (less rural now but still rural), about 20 years ago.
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

I read of a very relevant case today in my morning paper:
    A neighbor with a gun who killed a snarling dog after it and another attacked a post office mailman's truck said Monday he told the dog to go home before he fired the fatal shot.

Police said the 51-year-old mailman had just driven up to the Arlington house on the 1400 block of Panther Run Road about 3:30 p.m. Friday to deliver mail when the two dogs, one a white and brown American bulldog, the other a Labrador retriever, ran across the lawn right at him. The dogs, owned by a Jacksonville police officer, barked and growled as they tried to jump in the mail truck window.

"The whole van was rocking and shaking, and everyone heard him screaming," said Adam Cuppoletti, 34, who said Monday he was working in his yard across the street.

The mailman's scream alerted Cuppoletti, who grabbed his handgun from the kitchen and ran back outside, yelling at the dogs to stop. As he yelled "no!" and "stop!" several times, the pit bull turned and growled at him from the street, then came into his yard.

"I yelled for the dog to stop. A 100-pound American bulldog is a pretty intimidating dog," Cuppoletti. "I told 'Petey' to stop and go home, and it snarled, growled and immediately ran toward me, into my yard. I brought up my pistol and fired one round."

The wounded dog ran back to its yard, leaving a trail of blood before it fell and died. No one was injured, and the other dog disappeared.

Cuppoletti said he works for the Navy but wouldn't say in what capacity. He said he was trained to use a firearm.

Cuppoletti said the dogs had been lounging in the neighbor's front yard since he got home earlier but ran at the postal van when it pulled up...No charges were filed in the shooting, police said.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetchuck View Post
    In Michigan, legally you cannot shoot to protect your property.

That property includes your pets.

If a dog is attacking your pet you cannot shoot to protect it.

However, if I thought the dog was attacking me.....dead dog.
    A dog 'attacks' my pet, I'm in control of my pet...thus, the dog is also attacking me... attacking dog.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Looks like that scenario is fine in Washington State.

RCW 16.08.020
    Dogs injuring stock may be killed.

It shall be lawful for any person who shall see any dog or dogs chasing, biting, injuring or killing any sheep, swine or other domestic animal, including poultry, belonging to such person, on any real property owned or leased by, or under the control of, such person, or on any public highway, to kill such dog or dogs, and it shall be the duty of the owner or keeper of any dog or dogs so found chasing, biting or injuring any domestic animal, including poultry, upon being notified of that fact by the owner of such domestic animals or poultry, to thereafter keep such dog or dogs in leash or confined upon the premises of the owner or keeper thereof, and in case any such owner or keeper of a dog or dogs shall fail or neglect to comply with the provisions of this section, it shall be lawful for the owner of such domestic animals or poultry to kill such dog or dogs found running at large.
    Last edited by ak56; June 22nd, 2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Can't even spell my own state.

Hit 'em hard the first time that follow up shot when they are running and howling is tough, but doable DAMHIKT

Raised sheep for 15 years and have dealt with both strays and neighbors pets on several occasions "ole Bucks a good dog he'd never hurt nothing." In MO your G2G if the animal is damaging your stock, don't know about cats. But as stated earlier S.S.S.
    Being shot in the process of committing a crime provides potent Pavlovian conditioning to the perpetrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Shoot

Shovel

Shut-up
    Best answer!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    dead dog! I would shoot it for attacking anything on my property animals, children, anything.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^

But they also have laws against animals agressively about to do bodily harm up to and including killing/attacking anyone, therefore I believe I would shoot, given the proper circumstances, even in a city.
    That said I live in a rural area, and I would definitely shoot an animal doing harm to any person, old or young,if I could not chase it away.
    Isn't that exactly what Shooter said, check the local laws?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My county dump is a posted gun free zone, but I have carried my concealed handgun there ever since I was chased back into my truck by feral dogs a few years ago when I went to dump my trash. I'm not sure that carry isn't covered by pre-emption statutes anyhow. The dumpsters are provided and maintained by a private company, but I've been unable to determine who owns the land where they are located. But, concealed is concealed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links