Scenario: Dog Shot in Yard

This is a discussion on Scenario: Dog Shot in Yard within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in the country and if any animal comes onto your property, you have the right to shoot it. If you hit a cow ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scenario: Dog Shot in Yard

I live in the country and if any animal comes onto your property, you have the right to shoot it. If you hit a cow on the road, the owner is responsible for your car damages. Now, if you know the dog and it belongs to a family, it is good manners to tell the family and give them warning. The second time you have the right to shoot it.

Ray
    Texas
    Check out my websites....

http://www.prophezine.com

http://survival4christians.blogspot.com/

Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

We own 14 acres out in the middle of nowhere. Have three horses, and a dog pack from a mile or so down the road got inside our fence and started going after the mares. I grabbed my tactical shotgun and placed a few rounds over their heads, and the dogs "went to ground" and stayed there until the owner screeched up in his pickup to claim them. He said he understood our concerns, appreciated the restraint, but would not blame us one bit if we shot to kill the next time they showed up. So far, they haven't, thank goodness!
    GMTC(SW) USN (Ret.)
    NRA, IDPA, NCPOA
    CZ-82, Para 1911A1, Mossberg 500, GSG-5

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophezine View Post
    I live in the country and if any animal comes onto your property, you have the right to shoot it. If you hit a cow on the road, the owner is responsible for your car damages. Now, if you know the dog and it belongs to a family, it is good manners to tell the family and give them warning. The second time you have the right to shoot it.

Ray
    Texas
    If I am forced to shoot a dog on my land that is aggressive can I sue the owner for the cost of the bullet? lol!!!!! I agree with you.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

You need to check your laws.

Here, there are distinctions of "on your property" vs "off" , and if it's animals that are considered livestock (horses, cows, chickens, pigs, etc) vs wildlife (skunks, raccoons, etc) vs pets (a cat , dog , etc). The laws here are much more open if they are to protect livestock.

Plus, as mentioned, you may be in an area where "discharging a firearm" may be an issue.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    If it were on my property injuring my cat or threatening me, I would shoot it, press charges against the owner for allowing it to run at large and then sue them for my cat's vet bills.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I have chickens. Chickens are considered "livestock" and protected by law ;) A strange dog inside my fence is a dead dog - that is if my ChowChow doesn't get to it first.

Still, I follow the SSS rules. No need to get all the neighbors mad at you....Dog, what dog?? Haven't seen her in two days?? Nope, haven't seen her either, hope ya find her!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links