Firing Shots to Scare Off Trespassers? - Page 2

Firing Shots to Scare Off Trespassers?

This is a discussion on Firing Shots to Scare Off Trespassers? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't believe in warning shots. Matter of fact, in most cases, I don't believe in warnings, period....

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 107
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Firing Shots to Scare Off Trespassers?

  1. #16
    Senior Member Array Divebum47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    763
    I don't believe in warning shots. Matter of fact, in most cases, I don't believe in warnings, period.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"


  2. #17
    VIP Member
    Array ksholder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,013
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    In Ohio, is it "legal" to shoot trespassers who haven't made a threat to life or limb?
    Nope. Gotta be in fear of life or significant bodily harm.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

    "When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

    You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

  3. #18
    Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,249
    In Florida, the Castle Law extends to the limit of one's property. However, I wouldn't want to go to court with nothing more than "he set foot on my property so I shot him".

  4. #19
    VIP Member
    Array sigmanluke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,209
    It's illegal in MOST places.

    It's not a good idea.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

  5. #20
    Member Array jensen47770's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    103
    Firearms Safety Rule #4

    Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

    I am not going to discharge my weapon unless I know their is a serious threat and more importantly I can see that threat. You lose all tactical advantage if you give away your position and you are also wasting bullets. If I am going to get into a gunfight in the middle of the night, chances are I have one magazine in my gun (because who is gonna put all their clothes on and grab their extra mag as well if their is an intruder).

    Furthermore, you are responsible for every round that leaves your weapon. I want to where every round goes. If you shoot someone on accident on your property because you are "giving warning shots" you are still responsible for the outcome. The intruder could be somone needing assistance because they broke down, could be a punk kid, could be an animal. The bottom line is that unless you have a legitimate target, you should not be discharging your firearm.
    Glock 19
    Springfield XD45
    Para Ord SF-45-A

    Being a victim is a choice, it doesn't have to be yours - Support Concealed Carry on Campus

  6. #21
    VIP Member Array First Sgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Posts
    7,969
    I personally would NOT fire. I think I would set up motion sensor lights at the buildings which house my most valuable property (i.e. my home, my barn, my storage shed, etc). In addition I would definitely invest in a high powered hand held "torch" (translate to highpower flashlight), so that IF I heard someone, or if one of the motion sensor lights lit up the night, I could also scan the area. With all that being said, I would ALWAYS have my most favored SD weapon at hand, whether it be my shottie with double aught buckshot or my Glock...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

  7. #22
    Member Array faif2d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    260
    At night here in Texas it is legal but not a good idea in my opinion! No warning shots, just center of mass and that means you can see the cause of the noise.

  8. #23
    Member Array Toml's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    34
    I wouldn't deliberately shoot to scare off trespassers. It is better to deliver the message that they are not welcome in person. My brother has a favorite method. He asks if they have seen me hunting in the woods, then casually warns them to be careful since he wouldn't want anyone to get shot.

    That's not to say that many a six-gun hasn't been unloaded into the air to discourage intruders or shotguns loaded with rock salt leveled at kids in the watermelon patch.

  9. #24
    VIP Member Array oakchas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,568
    I don't have to shoot folks at the perimeter of my property, the claymores take care of that... the ones that get thru, well, there's a few toe poppers out there for them... and then those will wake me and the dogs... And I can activate the IEDs from here...


    And that was sarcasm..

    No, I ain't gonna shoot no warning shots at any ijit climbing my fences. In fact, it's the dumbest thing I can think of... Short of the stuff I wrote above.

    The sheriff's busy you say... well them boys got on your property from a car, eh..? they didn't walk 50 miles to get to YOUR property... wait until they're a good ways in... then drive to their vehicle and get their license plate numbers.

    I've heard a little .22 rifle will shoot a mile... I think I'll stand in the middle of my property, and shoot one shot every point of the compass, and see who all friends and neighbors gets hit by mysterious stray bullets...

    THINK!

  10. #25
    Member Array Dusty1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Athens, OH
    Posts
    49
    Wow, lots of "don't do it" answers, but very little CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. So oakchas you would just hear noises late at night, then leave you're wife and family to go look for licence plate numbers? Sweet deal.

  11. #26
    VIP Member Array SIGguy229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kommie-fornia-stan
    Posts
    7,106

    Firing Shots to Scare Off Trespassers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty1 View Post
    Wow, lots of "don't do it" answers, but very little CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. So oakchas you would just hear noises late at night, then leave you're wife and family to go look for licence plate numbers? Sweet deal.
    Maybe that's because warning shots are a bad idea...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

    martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

  12. #27
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Posts
    17,629
    Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    In Florida, the Castle Law extends to the limit of one's property. However, I wouldn't want to go to court with nothing more than "he set foot on my property so I shot him".
    There's a huge difference between home invasion and simple trespassing. Research FL Castle Doctrine and it says it applies to using deadly force inside the home, auto, place of business, and anyplace you have the right to be. Quote: "The castle doctrine applies if you are attacked in your own home by an intruder." No where does it mention outside property. Unless there's immediate and clear threat to life, it's not a good idea to pop off shots at anyone simply standing on "property."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

  13. #28
    VIP Member Array LongRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,621
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Given that even out in the boonies you are responsible for every round fired, and where it ends up, it is generally a bad idea to give "warning shots".

    Having been lost, or broken down, in the boonies and having to walk upon a farm house in the middle of nowhere before, it would not be looked upon favorably by your's truly if you were to discharge a weapon while I was walking up to your house. Also, this practice of "warning shots" goes against the standard rules of gun safety.

    You need to know what your target is, and what lies beyond your target. I'm not there to steal, but I can understand the frustration of the homeowners, and even empathise with them. The thing is, introducing a gun on an unknown is a good way to have things go real bad, real fast.
    My shots to scare off animals hit the berm that is the backstop for my handgun range. Behind it is 900+ acres of state forestry lands. I know where ALL my shots go.
    To get to my driveway someone has to come nearly two miles up a dirt road off the closest road. No one comes 2 miles up an obscure dirt road looking for aid. Anyone coming to my house has to come through 200 yards of densely forested driveway the entry is clearly posted with a no trespass sign that in part says
    All persons entering this property must hold contract or invitation with the owner or tenant granting egress with indemnity. Any intrusion beyond this point without said contract or invitation is unlawful and will be seen as an attack with intent to trespass, extort, harass, oppress, threaten, intimidate, injure, mutilate, molest, or otherwise jeopardize the rights safety and life of the owner/tenant .............. Violators will be dealt with as hostile intruders
    By proceeding they have declared their intent to harm me and mine. By the time they have read the sign I have them on video camera, sensors have alerted me to their presence. Once they enter the clearing to my yard they are hit with spot lights so that they can clearly see the red blossoms appearing on their chest. I know where all my shoots go, as I said my warning shots to trespassers are COM.

    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    We can shoot people to protect livestock? Or just other predators?
    Lethal force is justified in the state of Washington
    A) In defense of self and others,
    B) to stop malicious trespass
    C) to protect property
    D) to stop a felony
    E) to detain a dangerous felon that the shooter has reason to believe would be a danger to others if they escaped. Such as a rapist who is running away from committing a rape

    Livestock is property so yes you can shoot someone to protect your property. If someone is on your property illegally ie with out an invitation, warrant or your consent you can shoot them in defense of self, others and your property. Some years ago a thirteen year old boy was caught climbing through a guys window. He was shot and killed, it was a no bill, the shooter was not detained arrested or charged. Last summer a couple came home to find someone in their home. The intruders were shot and killed, it was a no bill, the shooter was not detained arrested or charged.

    I am not a lawyer. This is my opinion based upon my understanding of my attorney explanation of the law to me. Consult your own lawyer to obtain your own understanding of the law and your responsibilities.
    Attached Images
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

    Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

  14. #29
    Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    charleston, SC
    Posts
    1,917
    Don't even go there--it is irresponsible and wrong, wrong, wrong. If you are in danger of bodily injury or death you fire at the slime. If you have time to just fire into the air or whatever, you have time to remove yourself from the situation. If you hit someone, say goodbye to your freedom and your possessions.

  15. #30
    Member Array celticredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Amelia Virginia
    Posts
    383
    I have done it once, and It wasn't "Little Billy" looking for his dog, or "an old man having a heart attack" It was someone in "my woods" shooting a shotgun in the direction of my house. My two 45 ACP rounds went into the ground about 10 feet from my porch and in a different direction. They weren't legally hunting, because there was no hunting season in at that time of year(Spring) and they were on posted land, plus, it was just after 11PM. And, oh yes, there was no more shots fired after my two

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. I had a scare last night
    By Pro2A in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: December 19th, 2009, 04:02 PM
  2. Drunks, Trespassers, and a shopping mall
    By SubNine in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: February 19th, 2008, 05:10 PM
  3. Bakersfield police cleared in firing 62 shots at man
    By BigEFan in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: September 12th, 2007, 05:00 PM
  4. 3am scare...
    By Gelicious in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: March 29th, 2007, 11:41 PM
  5. You people scare me!
    By czman2006 in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: March 9th, 2006, 10:54 AM

Search tags for this page

can i shoot a trespasser in oregon

,

can i shoot a trespasser ohio

,

can trespassers be shot in pa

,

can you shoot a trespasser in michigan

,

can you shoot a trespasser in ohio

,
gopher gun in oregon, watermelon patch trap
,

how to scare off trespassers

,

how to scare trespassers

,
is it ,eagel to fire a worning shot at trespassers in va.
,
is it legal to shoot a trespasser in pa
,

scarring off trespassers

,
shooting trespassers
Click on a term to search for related topics.