Firing Shots to Scare Off Trespassers? - Page 5

Firing Shots to Scare Off Trespassers?

This is a discussion on Firing Shots to Scare Off Trespassers? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by machine gun all depends on where you live... i live deep in the wooded mountains of northern VA. on about 18 acres... ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Firing Shots to Scare Off Trespassers?

Quote Originally Posted by machine gun View Post
    all depends on where you live...

i live deep in the wooded mountains of northern VA. on about 18 acres... most properties out here are large acre wooded and farming plots.
    if we hear noise in the middle of the night its usually a raccoon, coyote, deer, wildcats, or bears...
    it is NOT uncommon to hear gun shots during the day or night around here.
    but we also have a saying in these parts. no trespassing means NO TRESPASSING! and people will shoot... warning shot or not.
    I think many are not grasping the idea of being on acreage and responding based upon their experience / knowledge of living in suburbia or a city. Different rules apply out in the sticks. Folks around here shoot almost daily if LEO was called every time someone was doing some shooting that is all they would be doing.

I can almost tell you the number of guns one neighbor has because every time he buys a new one he is out shooting 5 to 10 boxes of rounds through it. Normally he just shoots a box or so.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    I can almost tell you the number of guns one neighbor has because every time he buys a new one he is out shooting 5 to 10 boxes of rounds through it. Normally he just shoots a box or so.
    i know exactly what you mean lol.
    we also have a LEO who lives about a half mile over and he invites everyone to come over and shoot couple times a year.
    sounds like WW3 i love it!

Quote Originally Posted by machine gun View Post
    i know exactly what you mean lol.
    we also have a LEO who lives about a half mile over and he invites everyone to come over and shoot couple times a year.
    sounds like WW3 i love it!
    Yep, we moved here from the city where gun shots meant a whole different thing than they mean out here. Quiet Saturday afternoons here often mean chirping of birds scampering squirrels, chipmunks and measured gun shots. It is nice to know that if it ever hits the fan we and our very few neighbors can hold this hill against every thing short of a full scale military assault.

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Firing Shots to Scare Off Trespassers?
    Illegal and irresponsible in my opinion. Remain silent and tactical in your decisions.

Imagine if it's some kid who, while playing on his or her property, got lost and wandered into yours. You just shot him/her. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by silo View Post
    Imagine if it's some kid who, while playing on his or her property, got lost and wandered into yours. You just shot him/her. Good job.
    On our farm, they would have to "wander" a good mile or better .... LOL.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

The fact that it happens is my point.

Imagine if it's some kid
    Complete straw man argument.

I deal in the real world fact, not imagined fantasy. Your imagined fairy tale scenario does not happen around here. Only a complete moron would allow a child to ramble aimlessly about in country with numerous backyard gun ranges, coyotes, bears and cougars. Kids around here grow up knowing the meaning of respect including respecting property rights. Barbed wire fences and clearly posted entry ways prevent accidental trespass.

Come to think of it those cougars, coyotes and bears keep the moron breeding level pretty low around here. Besides as I have repeatedly said anyone on my property is observed via video long before they enter the clearing to my home. I know my target long before I have them in my sights and pull the trigger. That said even if your scenario could happen where has anyone said they would shoot an unarmed helpless child?

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Bad idea. Know your target and what lies beyond it.

Secondly, if you're firing a weapon, it should be in self-defense..not for defense of property.

Third, now whoever is out there knows you have guns.....may try to come back when you're not home.

Now, if you have a home-made range off your back porch, there is nothing wrong with some target shooting...
    Ohhhh yes.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Anyone within hearing of my place or my neighbors, f you can call a quarter mile away neighbors, already knows we have guns. Between myself, my son, his friends and my friends, we fire thousands of rounds a year, in any thing from .22 to 44 mag and 45acp. Also rifles from .22 to one guy's 45-70 and my .50 muzzle loaders. I often hear the closest neighbor out behind his house shooting also.

Quote Originally Posted by Shackleton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Secondly, if you're firing a weapon, it should be in self-defense..not for defense of property.
    Ohhhh yes.
    Depends on your state law and if you work to support crack whores, fecal sucking maggots and other assorted scum bags. As stated I live in a state that respects the rights of honest hard working property owners above those of worthless thieving parasites.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Complete straw man argument.

I deal in the real world fact, not imagined fantasy.
    You live in a world with the sheeple, then. Maybe it's different in Washington, but I grew up in the country here in Missouri, surrounded by nothing more than corn, corn, corn, and pigs on each side. It was very easy to get lost, and the kids would travel good distances to get to each other's houses. If you don't think kids occasionally get lost, then you don't read the news. At least once a week there's a new APB on finding some kid somewhere in the nation. And you think it's OK to shoot randomly into the darkness without knowing the target or what's behind you? You're as naive as the sheeple against which we so often preach.

And you think it's OK to shoot randomly into the darkness without knowing the target or what's behind you? You're as naive as the sheeple against which we so often preach.
    No one is stupid enough to come walking up to a farm house at night around here without loudly proclaiming their presence ... anyone who comes quietly, is suspect.

No kids get lost around here. My God, they can look across the pastures and fields and see 20 miles and where home is. Besides, they aren't going to be doing it at night.

People out at night like that are cattle rustlers, thieves and BG's.... and any one is suspect until identified otherwise.

Anyone coming over ... will call ahead and let you know they are coming so they dont' get shot.

A warning shot in the air is a courtesy as well as to scare off predatory animals. .... human or otherwise. Second shots are not warnings.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Good luck with the impending lawsuit and probable jail time, then.

But, what about Christmas? You gonna scare off Santa as he's trying to shimmy down your chimney in the middle of the night? You're asking for a sack of coal!
    Honestly though, things are different in the country, I live there and after awhile, you know who's who, where they are, where they'll come from and what they probably want. Can't say that for the city. That being said, I will never shoot at something I can't positively identify, no matter where I am.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links