Firing Shots to Scare Off Trespassers? - Page 7

Firing Shots to Scare Off Trespassers?

This is a discussion on Firing Shots to Scare Off Trespassers? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; if verbal warnings and a flood light don't work on a trespasser, there will be no warning shot......

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Firing Shots to Scare Off Trespassers?

if verbal warnings and a flood light don't work on a trespasser, there will be no warning shot...
    LongRider likes this.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

But officer, I just fired a warning shot, In the direction of his head....

GM
    IMO firing a firearm like that is a bad idea, even if we assume that the bullet will land in a safe place.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Not sure what the big deal is about shooting kids, grannies, etc that trespass....we ALL know that you must identify your target before you shoot. Common sense says that once you ID a kid or granny or neighbor....no great massacre will occur. As Long Rider has also implied.
    LongRider likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

An aquaintance once fired his .357 in the air to run off a bunch of kids in his driveway. They were trespassing. But he was paid a visit by the SO for shooting out their back car window. His denial was so fervent the LEO decided to look around and found the slug had hit his phone line overhead and glanced downward into the car. Luck that nobody was hit. So for sure, know where and what you're shooting at.
    Kimber PCII .45
    Springfield XD9mm SC
    Kel-Tech P-11 9mm
    AR-15

db4usa: You are of course, absolutely correct, but what odds would you care to give on the following: #1 Those kids shorts were forever unusable after that and #2 They repeated that behavior anytime soon? Btw, welcome to the forum!

Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Dusty: All I read was your initial thread and did not even bother with the replies. Your firearm is for your protection if you are in imminent threat of death or great bodily injury--at least that is the way it is in most states. Using that as a basis and seeing that you are in Ohio, I am being kind with my words by saying that discharging your firearm for no other reason than you think or even know that someone is trespassing is, to say the least, irresponsible and probably illegal. My real thoughts on this kind of action, since I do not know you, are quite contrary to your apparent positive take on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Not sure what the big deal is about shooting kids, grannies, etc that trespass....we ALL know that you must identify your target before you shoot. Common sense says that once you ID a kid or granny or neighbor....no great massacre will occur. As Long Rider has also implied.
    Exactly, Thank you. Washington state law authorizes the use of lethal force in defense of property I am a big advocate of following the law.

As some do not seem the grasp the concept of wilderness, thought maybe some pics of our place would help put it in perspective. The deck shot is our backyard where I often shoot skeet. Its approximately 900 feet up from the valley below. No one is coming up that side of the property. The closest town is 22 miles away barely visible, on the other side of Hoods Canal. The front shot, honestly is from the top of the hill across the dirt road. Between our house and where I took the pic is my berm, the dirt road to our house and than forest. The others are night pics after the fog has drifted into the valley below makes it look like we live on a mountain top.

Point is I know my backstop. Well. That said, as I said before my warning shot are center of mass. Meaning as 9MMare clarified I have identified and sighted in on the trespassers invading / endangering my property The non fatal warning to NOT TRESPASS on my property for ANY reason comes over 100 yards before I start shooting. My firearms are not intimidation tools, they are lethal force tools to end any and all threats to me, mine and my property.

Trespassers are invading threats to my property that by passing the posted notice shown in a previous post have clearly declared their intent to do me or mine harm. They will be dispatched with accordingly. Meaning, yes we shoot trespassers here as authorized by law.
    Attached Images
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Hmm, I think I'll just sit back and watch this one unfold. Good points on each side. I do however live in the country that is a little bit bigger than the required twenty acres to be considered country living. (Joking Eagleks) I understand where your coming from on that. I see alot of signs that say 5 acre lots country living well it is till the 2nd lot sells. I've heard many stories especially from the older fellas around here that warning shots happen they are just that warnings they could lay you flat from a very long distance with iron sight 30-30's. Nowadays you can get in trouble for it from what i've heard.
    If i had that popcorn emoticon I'd put it up. Carry on

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    I agree it is a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by db4usa View Post
    An aquaintance once fired his .357 in the air to run off a bunch of kids in his driveway. They were trespassing. But he was paid a visit by the SO for shooting out their back car window. His denial was so fervent the LEO decided to look around and found the slug had hit his phone line overhead and glanced downward into the car. Luck that nobody was hit. So for sure, know where and what you're shooting at.
    WHAT ? There aren't drive-ways in the country.... or the neighbor's car sitting there. It's the country. If you hit something... it'll be your own car or the tractor, or one of the cows. Besides, I know of no one who shoots "bullets" into the night, but use / carry "shotguns" ... and the pellets would never leave the property.... shotguns don't shoot nearly that far.

Out there... ya'all better bring a really really really bright flashlight to ID things.... see, it gets real dark out there. We can actually see this bright line of stars called the Milky Way because of the lack of "light" from those city street lights, homes, etc. I'm sure you've read about it somewhere.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Exactly, Thank you. Washington state law authorizes the use of lethal force in defense of property I am a big advocate of following the law.

As some do not seem the grasp the concept of wilderness, thought maybe some pics of our place would help put it in perspective. The deck shot is our backyard where I often shoot skeet. Its approximately 900 feet up from the valley below. No one is coming up that side of the property. The closest town is 22 miles away barely visible, on the other side of Hoods Canal. The front shot, honestly is from the top of the hill across the dirt road. Between our house and where I took the pic is my berm, the dirt road to our house and than forest. The others are night pics after the fog has drifted into the valley below makes it look like we live on a mountain top.

Point is I know my backstop. Well. That said, as I said before my warning shot are center of mass. Meaning as 9MMare clarified I have identified and sighted in on the trespassers invading / endangering my property The non fatal warning to NOT TRESPASS on my property for ANY reason comes over 100 yards before I start shooting. My firearms are not intimidation tools, they are lethal force tools to end any and all threats to me, mine and my property.

Trespassers are invading threats to my property that by passing the posted notice shown in a previous post have clearly declared their intent to do me or mine harm. They will be dispatched with accordingly. Meaning, yes we shoot trespassers here as authorized by law.
    Forget all the other arguments... Do you guys have room for a border and his dog...? Sorry, couldn't help myself. That's one heck of a view.
    LongRider likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

OK without going through all the pages of replies here is my spin on it.... REAL BAD IDEA.... always know your target, always know the threat level, shooting in the air, not good and in some places is referred to as careless discharge of a firearm and can get you in a peck of trouble....

Now on the other hand tossing out a string of firecrackers with a lit fuse and yelling loudly some Fraze of your own choosing could have the same effect and be a whole lot less problematic should the Police get called on you.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Get some surplus parachute flares.
    Cockroaches don't like bright lights.

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are cunning and you sleep with your mouth open.

Many years ago, my uncle would blast off his black powder cannon when he had trespassers.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links