Firing Shots to Scare Off Trespassers?

This is a discussion on Firing Shots to Scare Off Trespassers? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone, had a question and was wondering what everyone thought about it. I live in the country where it is common for criminals to ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Firing Shots to Scare Off Trespassers?

Question Firing Shots to Scare Off Trespassers?

Hello everyone, had a question and was wondering what everyone thought about it.

I live in the country where it is common for criminals to trespass and steal from others. On a positive note violent crimes are very low, but the Sheriff is very busy and almost non-existant, so many homeowners own guns. I have heard on quite a few instances of friends hearing people on their land (usually late at night) and instead of investigating just fire off a bunch of shots. This usually succeeds in scaring off the tresspasser without incident.

Now I can see why it might be tempting to diffuse a situation without confrontation, and it usually works from what I've heard, but man if it dosen't sound bad to immediately let a criminal know you're armed AND broadcast you're location all in one move. I mean what if they we're armed too and were looking for trouble? Things could get bad in a hurry.
    So what are you're thoughts on this? Have you ever done it before, if so did it work out? Or what would or have you done differently?
    Last edited by Dusty1; June 22nd, 2010 at 12:52 AM. Reason: not phraised correctly

2. Remove Ads

Personal opinion, I'm not shooting off a weapon in the dark and not knowing what or who might be out there. If there is a direct threat and it's aimed a me or mine, that's a different story.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I sure wouldn't do it, but that may be because I've had too many drunk 'hunters' do some 'sound hunting' in my direction. But if you hit and kill someone, saying "I heard noises on my property" will be a tough sell...at least if I'm on the jury.

Bad idea. Know your target and what lies beyond it.

Secondly, if you're firing a weapon, it should be in self-defense..not for defense of property.

Third, now whoever is out there knows you have guns.....may try to come back when you're not home.

Now, if you have a home-made range off your back porch, there is nothing wrong with some target shooting...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

For the sake of discussion let's assume safety of the bullet landing is not an issue, and discuss noise vs. trespassers. Yes, it can be a bad idea, but how would you handle it differently?

It depends a lot on how your place is set up. Where the stuff that's valuable, stuff that's not, motion night lights and other things.

not a recommended practice - you are responsible for not only the direct results (where the bullets stop) of your actions but often for the indirect ones as well... (the old man who's car broke down on the road at 2:00 AM and has a heart attack - calls 911 reporting that as he approached the residence he was fired on... ) and in Ohio it is not accepted to use deadly force to prevent a "property crime", only acceptable if in "fear of death or serious physical harm"

of course IANAL and I did not stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night

Where I live I would have zero chance of hitting any innocent bystanders. I do fire rounds off to run off four legged trespassers, cougars bears ect. Dogs are for two legged trespassers. If they are thieves or vandals I shoot COM to protect property or the safety of my family and livestock as authorized by my state's laws. The only warning shots they get are the ones that penetrate them.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Given that even out in the boonies you are responsible for every round fired, and where it ends up, it is generally a bad idea to give "warning shots".

Having been lost, or broken down, in the boonies and having to walk upon a farm house in the middle of nowhere before, it would not be looked upon favorably by your's truly if you were to discharge a weapon while I was walking up to your house. Also, this practice of "warning shots" goes against the standard rules of gun safety.

You need to know what your target is, and what lies beyond your target. I'm not there to steal, but I can understand the frustration of the homeowners, and even empathise with them. The thing is, introducing a gun on an unknown is a good way to have things go real bad, real fast.

I won't be slinking around either. I'll be the guy hollerin' "Hello in the house!" I won't begrudge anyone answering the door in such a situation with a gun down by their side, just don't point it at me. Chances are, if I come to your door, and I don't know you, it's because I've already had a really bad day. I would hate to make a bad day worse by getting in a gunfight.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Where I live I would have zero chance of hitting any innocent bystanders. I do fire rounds off to run off four legged trespassers, cougars bears ect. Dogs are for two legged trespassers. If they are thieves or vandals I shoot COM to protect property or the safety of my family and livestock as authorized by my state's laws. The only warning shots they get are the ones that penetrate them.
    We can shoot people to protect livestock? Or just other predators?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Bad idea. Shooting is for SD - life on the line NOW. Shooting for any other reason is not justified.

BikerRN nailed it.....it breaks on of the four rules and warning shots arn't always a good idea.

Little Billy down the road looking for his lost dog would have a story to tell his parents........ that won't end up good either.

If you don't know, not sure, or whatever, it's best to not shoot.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

big bright motion sensor lights and a scary looking/sounding dog + alarm system.
    i dont want to advertise to a robber that i have guns to steal.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In Ohio, is it "legal" to shoot trespassers who haven't made a threat to life or limb? I doubt it. Go ahead and take a shot. You may find out the hard way they're carrying an AK.

Where I live, discharging a firearm, except in justified SD, is against teh law. It's designed to stop stupid acts just as you suggest.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Terrible idea.

Know your target and what lies beyond it.
    Exactly. If you don't know what you are shooting at, you have no business shooting. And if you do need to shoot, then you don't want to have been wasting ammo by using the firearm as a noise-maker. If running people off your property is a concern, that's what dogs are for.

There's no such thing as a "warning shot." That's the same as brandishing and probably illegal in most states if not every state.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links