Video: A large Grizzly is Charging you and you fire a warning shot?? Lucky Idiot.

Video: A large Grizzly is Charging you and you fire a warning shot?? Lucky Idiot.

This is a discussion on Video: A large Grizzly is Charging you and you fire a warning shot?? Lucky Idiot. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Found this video on Liveleak today. Grizzly charges this guy and he fires a warning shot! This guy is lucky to be alive... discuss......

Thread: Video: A large Grizzly is Charging you and you fire a warning shot?? Lucky Idiot.

Found this video on Liveleak today.

Grizzly charges this guy and he fires a warning shot!

This guy is lucky to be alive...

discuss...

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    If the guy hadn't been a idiot he would have never had to fire a shot.

I lived in Alaska for 3 years and you would never believe some of the things I've seen the tourists (some, not all, are total idiots) do when they saw bear or moose on the side of the road. I second that the camera man is lucky to be alive to post that vid on the web.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: Hot Damn! What a Ride!

Gen3 G19
    Taurus TCP
    Ruger 22/45

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar

Unhappy

that is one of the dumbest things i have ever seen. he was spared by divine intervention i suppose.
    wow
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

VIP Member
    This happened in my home province of BC.

I'm expecting this guy to get a visit from the RCMP. Under Canadian law, it is illegal for him to carry a restricted firearm (a handgun) into the bush without a federally issued permit, which I doubt he had. I was declined such a permit and was entitled to one as a licensed prospector.

Canada is not a "shall issue" jurisdiction.

BTW, the full story is here, as well as comments from the general public............

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...on-lorenz.html
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    See, you don't have to shoot the cute and cuddly bear, just make a loud noise!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

My thought was, "Wow, he has a gun in Canada?"
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

They don't sell zoom lenses in Canada? Should never have been that close to a bear and it's cub in the first place.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Good looking bears.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

I call BS

At least on the part where the reporter says he placed the camera on a tripod to allow him to draw his gun. I watched the video twice and once the bear disappears and starts to charge the camera is very steady the whole time. I think the camera was on a tripod the whole time.

It is kind of hard to say how close she got, he may have been using a telephoto lens, but it appears she got pretty close. They say, "God protects little children and fools". So either the camera man was a small child or.......

Good thing he waited until the very last second. I wouldn't let them get that close, he saw them coming.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    If the guy hadn't been a idiot he would have never had to fire a shot.
    Agreed.

He was close enough that his camera clearly picked up the sounds of the animals grunting and breathing never mind trodding through foliage.
    A telephoto lens does not allow such sounds to be picked up.

This dude was crazy, stupid or both.

Also note the sound of the gun and the puff of smoke it emitted.
    It did not sound at all to me to be a large caliber bear worth chambering.
    I've fired S&W 460, 500, and .44 Magnum...They do not at all sound like that pop gun.

As well he goes on to state...
    Lorenz said he has had about a dozen grizzly encounters, but a bear had never charged at him before.

"It just really shows that their personalities are all different, just like people," he said.

"But also, it shows that they're unpredictable because they can be one way one day and totally different another day and you just have to be as careful as you can."
    Stupid!

He's done this roughly twelve other times and nothing untoward happened so he figures ehh it's safe let me do it, again.
    What's he do at home to comedown from the adrenalin rush, drink shot glasses of anti-freeze?!

Some people don't know...Some people don't learn...And some people just can't be told.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Stupid decisions that don't lead to (deservedly) catastrophic results often - and unfortunately - reinforce those bad decisions. This yahoo has a very well established pattern of bad decisions; this time it just created a minor fender bender in what is sure to be a 50 car pile-up if he doesn't figure out what a dumbkoff he's being...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

What I saw was two bears that caught the scent of a human somewhere too close for comfort and were escaping. The shot that was fired may have saved the person from getting trampled by the bear stampede.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Agreed. ^^

That is pretty much exactly what I saw as well. Attempt and interest to flee.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Links