guy goes to grab my wife's purse.... - Page 2

guy goes to grab my wife's purse....

This is a discussion on guy goes to grab my wife's purse.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by beaker now my wife is borderline disabled. she really cannot run. she has to use a cane sometimes to walk. she didn't ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: guy goes to grab my wife's purse....

Quote Originally Posted by beaker View Post
    now my wife is borderline disabled. she really cannot run. she has to use a cane sometimes to walk. she didn't have it with her this time. she loves informing people she's armed.
    Working on her SA might help avoid another situation like this. Being at a disadvantage already stacks the odd aginst her.

Quote Originally Posted by beaker View Post
    she agreed when i said she needs to carry it on her person more often. especially when alone but as far as to stop telling people she's armed, she says it scares people away... not always, not when someone has the upper hand on you already.
    Her Purse is not where that sidearm should be. Again, being at a disadvantage AND having her primary carry removed or unattainable in a struggle is VERY bad.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

and that is exactly why i 1) i dont carry a purse 2) i sure as heck dont keep my gun in my purse and 3) I tell others not to purse carry.
    If she is going to consider purse carry, I highly suggest she find a purse that can connect to her body in some way, so that it cant actually be taken away.
    I use the wilderness safepacker, which rides on my belt just like a OWB holster, but looks kinda like a hip new purse stlye, whenever I really cant use my normal IWB holster.
    Im sure there are purses out there that can both go over your should and around your waist, or over the shoulder and also snap to a belt. If not, you can retrofit one to do that.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

she loves informing people she's armed. maybe it's just me, i don't like telling people, especially men, bigger then me, close enough to me to take advantage of me, that i have something that they would want like a gun. especially in the case that he's grabbing on to what contains her gun. i told her she's lucky he was mental. if he was a criminal he could have grabbed your purse and you'd be SOL. i told her it would have went like this whats in here, a gun, ah don't hurt me, bang bang bang... bang. now its mine. what else is in there???
    I agree, not smart at all the announce that especially when they are holding your purse. I also agree with the cop...walk away..say leave me a lone and if they don't then respond with the gun, don't announce it.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member

re: Quantes--- re-read what that says

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    The 2009 Florida Statutes
    Title XLVI
    CRIMES Chapter 784
    ASSAULT; BATTERY; CULPABLE NEGLIGENCE View Entire Chapter
    784.011 Assault.--
    (1) An "assault" is an intentional, unlawful threat by word or act to do violence to the person of another, coupled with an apparent ability to do so, and doing some act which creates a well-founded fear in such other person that such violence is imminent.
    (

Title XLVI
    CRIMES Chapter 812
    THEFT, ROBBERY, AND RELATED CRIMES View Entire Chapter
    812.13 Robbery.--
    (1) "Robbery" means the taking of money or other property which may be the subject of larceny from the person or custody of another, with intent to either permanently or temporarily deprive the person or the owner of the money or other property, when in the course of the taking there is the use of force, violence, assault, or putting in fear.

Good luck trying to sell that to a watch sgt.
    This, "(1) An "assault" is an intentional, unlawful threat by word or act to do violence to the person of another, coupled with an apparent ability to do so, and doing some act which creates a well-founded fear in such other person that such violence is imminent,"

might appear to require TWO acts; both an unlawful threat and "some act which creates fear. However, the comma is in there for a reason. The sentence can also be properly read: " An assault is doing some act which creates a well-founded fear in such other person that such violence is imminent."

What the guy did was assault. Or, so it seems to me. IANAL.

A FL prosecutor or judge would need to parse that one for us and explain it. Needless to say, I think the officer was mistaken.

Bigger issue though was the op's wife's purse carry. Also, her physical condition makes it difficult to defend against it being taken. A rethink of the carry method and some self-defense instruction geared to someone with her disability issues is in order.

I saw no indication of any "fear" in the OP, she thought it was a joke.

I agree that the bigger issue is her SD arrangements.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I think that purse carry is THE WORST possible form of carry EVER. the purse is THE TARGET.... this story shows that. IMHO the gun needs to be on your persons at all times.

glad she is ok..... great learning experience for everyone.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    The cop had it right and your wife had it very wrong, in many ways.

You if someone already has ahold of your purse you don't notify them there is a gun inside.. ...

Purse carry is irresponsible. If your gun is stolen by a purse snatcher you didn't do enough. You shouldn't be charged with anything, but you are an IDIOT. Nobody deserves to be the victim of a crime, but sometimes they should have known better.

You don't walk into the bad part of town where you know you will be beaten, and then claim "that's not right". Yeah, it's not right, but you should have known better.

Get her a holster, spend 9,000$ on one, buy her a new wardrobe. I don't care, something, anything but purse carry.

Well, purse carry beats no carry. And I'm not a fan of it.

Pepper spray, kubaton, pen, stick, yell, scream, kick, something. I think me and mental patient would have been covered in pepper spray, blood, and gravel when the dust settled. But, it would likely not happen if I was around. He's probably smart enough to not do that to Jane Doe and her spouse. Makes you wonder how mental he is, or if he's playing on the mental image to get by with this crap. Glad it worked out.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Title XLVI
    CRIMES Chapter 784
    ASSAULT; BATTERY; CULPABLE NEGLIGENCE View Entire Chapter
    784.011 Assault.--
    (1) An "assault" is an intentional, unlawful threat by word or act to do violence to the person of another, coupled with an apparent ability to do so, and doing some act which creates a well-founded fear in such other person that such violence is imminent.
    (

Title XLVI
    CRIMES Chapter 812
    THEFT, ROBBERY, AND RELATED CRIMES View Entire Chapter
    812.13 Robbery.--
    (1) "Robbery" means the taking of money or other property which may be the subject of larceny from the person or custody of another, with intent to either permanently or temporarily deprive the person or the owner of the money or other property, when in the course of the taking there is the use of force, violence, assault, or putting in fear.

Good luck trying to sell that to a watch sgt.
    Not a problem.
    The key to the assault charge is, was the person in fear they were going to do them harm and did he make physical contact, or do them harm ? Answer : yes.

Robbery, was he attempting to take her purse against her will, answer : Yes. Then he was attempting to deprive her of possession of it without her permission. Did he demand money, and she tell him NO... yes... and he went ahead and attempted to take her purse to get the money anyway ... then it's an attempted robbery.

As with most laws, it's a matter of "intent" of the actions of the person doing them, or fear on the part of the person they were done against.

A guy reaches in thru a barred front to a store and grabs a shirt.... is it shoplifting or a burglary ? I've seen people convicted doing this of burglary and theft , because the burglary law states "any portion of a person's body enters the premises with the intent to steal".

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Not a problem.
    The key to the assault charge is, was the person in fear they were going to do them harm and did he make physical contact, or do them harm ? Answer : yes.

Robbery, was he attempting to take her purse against her will, answer : Yes. Then he was attempting to deprive her of possession of it without her permission. Did he demand money, and she tell him NO... yes... and he went ahead and attempted to take her purse to get the money anyway ... then it's an attempted robbery.

As with most laws, it's a matter of "intent" of the actions of the person doing them, or fear on the part of the person they were done against.

A guy reaches in thru a barred front to a store and grabs a shirt.... is it shoplifting or a burglary ? I've seen people convicted doing this of burglary and theft , because the burglary law states "any portion of a person's body enters the premises with the intent to steal".
    Paragraph 1. If you would show me any indication of fear on her part in the OP, I might agree.

Paragraph 2. I saw nothing in the OP that indicated that he tried to take the purse away from her, just that he tried to ascertain the contents. I saw no demand for money, just a statement, "I need money." Again, I saw nothing indicating that he tried to take the purse away from her.

Paragraph 3. Agreed, but I don't think that the intent to deprive her of her property has been illustrated, merely obnoxious behavior by a person with apparent mental problems.

Paragraph 4. It is whatever the DA's office will file or gets a conviction on.

Maybe the OP will add some details re the items in question that may help clarify things.

Well, purse carry beats no carry. And I'm not a fan of it.
    get her a kahr, it will fit on body nicely
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Telling someone you have a gun is unbelieveably poor practice. If it was my wife, the moment the perp grabbed her purse she would have backed up quickly and yelled "robber, robber, he's trying to steal my purse!" as loud as possible. Now who feels uneasy?
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

You might want to get your wife a cane sword.

Another thing she might want to start carrying is some pepper / OC spray. I carry Cold Steel Inferno in several sizes. Pen, key ring, and 1.3 oz. This is a foam that melts on the face. Nice thing with it being foam is that will not blow back into like some of the liquids or mists can do if there is a breeze blowing.

Watch the vid>>>

The managment needs to be set strait and yea, if they do not, I would bring it to the attention of the press.

Has anyone run a check on this "mental" guy to make sure he is not a sexual offender? Here is the national list CHECK NOW >>>

Ray
    Texas
    Last edited by Prophezine; June 25th, 2010 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Forgot the picture
    Check out my websites....

http://www.prophezine.com

http://survival4christians.blogspot.com/

Μολὼν λαβέ

the cop says no charge for someone trying to snatch a gun? maybe you should try to snatch his gun and see how he feels about it then? not really, just saying

I have a several purses for carrying my gun. Most not only go over my shoulder...they go over my head too. When I am going into a store, especially alone, the weapon compartment is unzipped and a firm grip on my weapon. If they grab my purse...I still have my gun.
    I have gone since to carrying my new gun...a Ruger LCP...in my pocket most of the time, but still use my purse weapon on occasion. I went to a pocket gun mainly because of the weight that the purse gun (5 shot Ruger pistol) added to my purse.

Now about telling anyone about my gun....NO. They will know I have a gun when they see it in my hand...not unless or until then. It is this lady's ace in the hole.

The gentleman whose wife is the main subject of this thread needs to impress on her the tactic of being ALERT to one's surroundings AT ALL TIMES. This means when armed...or not. This means alone...or not. You have to be alert to who is around you and what they are doing. This guy should never have gotten this close without her verbally "dressing him down". "GET AWAY FROM ME!!!" Would have probably worked wonders and would have drawn the attention of others (which is a good thing).

As for the Walmart manager....I would inform him if he and his staff encourages this type of person to accost customers, you are going to contact cooperate and then do so. Just because they find him "funny" doesn't mean he can't be a problem for customers and customers are their business.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links