guy keeps on coming

This is a discussion on guy keeps on coming within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; STRONG verbal commands and doing exactly what you've done thus far. You've communicated that there's a problem with his actions and you feel threatened, and ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: guy keeps on coming

STRONG verbal commands and doing exactly what you've done thus far.

You've communicated that there's a problem with his actions and you feel threatened, and there are witnesses hearing and seeing this. (If he's "deaf" as someone suggested, then he would understand the STOP hand signal and the hand on the hip/weapon. I mean really....has anyone here seen or ever had a deaf person come at you/looking like a threat/and staring at you/and following you? Really? Thus far, the guy's intent is threatening, "deaf" or not.)
    Good call on the 'creating distance', and getting an object in between you.

If/when he goes for something in his pocket or waistband, my weapon is drawn and fired. (He's already created a situation of threat, and he's not now reaching for a piece of candy to give me...)

Let's hear the rest.
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

2. Remove Ads

So far the OP has performed in a reasonable manner. There are other people nearby so it wouldn't hurt to ask those nearby to call 911, which might cause the suspicious man to think about going somewhere else unless he is a nut-case or doped up.

With no verbal threat having been made, and no weapon displayed, evasion tactics remain the best option. If the guy is able to make direct contact with you the only remaining option is physical resistance. If you are real lucky others in the area will step in to assist you. If not, you will be forced to defend yourself to the best of your ability. This will include the need to safeguard your weapon.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

Well, I didn't get the nickname Bark'n because of a "milquetoast" personality or inability to be assertive.

He would get the message to back-off or state his purpose.

I would only draw my weapon if he produced one of his own, however he would likely get the impression that I was prepared to do serious damage if he continued.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

i would have been open carrying.

This is why I have OC on my key ring, this way I always have another form of defense. I never walk out of the house without my knife, in fact I feel naked without it, I have been carrying it for so long.

You have done all the right things, given loud verbal warnings and expressing fear to yourself / addressing witnesses. Putting a car between you and the Perp is wise, always seek cover. You do not know what he is carrying and if he is armed with a gun, you have cover.

Honestly the next move is his, but this is the point where I would be taking out the OC spray and getting it ready to use.

Ray
    Texas
    Check out my websites....

http://www.prophezine.com

http://survival4christians.blogspot.com/

Μολὼν λαβέ

Everything seems to be going good, what is the rest of the scenario.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I understand the reasoning for dropping the bag... but I probably wouldn't. All I have is my gun... and a bag full of batteries... AA or AAA... prolly a card of 20 or a box of 10.

Dense weight in a bag= useable for defense, I'll keep it in my left hand, I can swing it. Once is all I get with the cheap plastic bag... but I still have my gun.

Everything else as OP posted is okay so far... But I doubt I'd yell the "you're making me uncomfortable" bit.. I understand you're actually telling surrounding folks this... but I think I would just yell "Back off!" Same folks will notice...

And, when you yell STOP they will perhaps pay closer attention.

I don't think I've got my hand on my gun yet... but, like you it's poised nearby. I've also checked for bogies elsewhere nearby but that was earlier... I still think he's alone...

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I understand the reasoning for dropping the bag... but I probably wouldn't. All I have is my gun... and a bag full of batteries... AA or AAA... prolly a card of 20 or a box of 10.

Dense weight in a bag= useable for defense, I'll keep it in my left hand, I can swing it. Once is all I get with the cheap plastic bag... but I still have my gun.
    Have you ever seen a Home Depot bag? Those things split when you look at them. Darn thing would likely shred as you swing it tossing batteries all over the road or on someones car!

More seriously, I would have done pretty much the same thing. Not to sure about putting something between the 2 of us that is going to block my view of him reaching for his waist.

So what's the rest of the story??
    Guns are meant to be shot Harley, not thrown!

Quote Originally Posted by cwaturner View Post
    Have you ever seen a Home Depot bag? Those things split when you look at them. Darn thing would likely shred as you swing it tossing batteries all over the road or on someones car!
    Still not a reason to drop the bag... and the batteries ain't coming out of those 20 pack cards, they might come out of the box... and if he's close enough to use the bag on him... he's close enough for me to use it as a possibly painful distraction... and then draw the gun, if needed.

Let's see what else has happened.. OP... finish the story, or take us to the next chapter.

Your first and what could be a seriously fatal survival tactics error...

And say this was a quick trip. I didn't grab the OC...
    Any trip be it walking across the street to buy cigs & gum at 7-11 or driving across country from Maine to new Mexico can and for real people very much does result in combat.
    So what if it was a quick trip. If you in your mind can justify bringing your gun, then you should also in kind justify bringing at the very least your can of OC.

Conditions exactly as you describe here are _exactly_ the sort of special and perfect conditions for use of such a specific tool.
    Parking lot in a public space with no safe background and unassociated third party people well within your 360 degree radius.

You do not want to fight only to be able to flee. You are actively thinking and applying technique to protect yourself and facilitate ability to _flee_ (escape!) as by repositioning yourself from the questionable but confirmed to be suspicious acting person.
    An OC product specifically as either a stream type nozzle (as oppossed to fogger or wide spray) or a gel type product would be perfect for this scenario...AND would facilitate your ability in the immediate upon contact and confirmation that the person is a threat to allow you to either flee to safety (escape!) and/or to buy yourself much more time to reposition yourself toward hard cover if not concealment toward draw and/or taking an aimed and clear background shot.

As well I too would not have dropped that bag.
    That bag of solid dense object goods is an improvised weapon in the immediate.
    I would not care at all if the bag were to split at first swing/impact or that my batterys would go flying in every direction thereafter.
    Priority one is to survive, and survival in my book means as by any means necessary. That busted bag of batterys can buy me real time if even in the matter of seconds to affect my survival.

With a person like this I would not slow down my gait nor stop.
    Rather I'd speed up my gait and if I had to run then well so be it...To my vehicle or _back into the building_....Whichever is closest to me in the immediate.
    This is another reason why I personally do not park my car far from where I might enter any building. As well I always memorize where my car is and walk direct to it with purpose rather than amble all about the lot and such.

If I could get to my car before contact, I'd be there and starting the engine directly. Open the door, get in, close & lock the door, start engine and stomp the gas just after selecting D, R, or 1.
    Otherwise I head directly back to the building and if it means I gotta run to get there then well so be it.

Home Depot is full of 'weapons', cover both hard and soft as well as areas of concealment.

$0.02 Street

- Janq always carrys a can of OC as along with a spare magazine, both being more real world useful than that of a pocket knife
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

+ 1 on keeping the bag full of batteries up to this point.

I remeber the movie with Sean Penn, they are locked up in juvie jail.
    He fills a pillow case with about 4 or 6 cans of coke abd beat the tar out of the other guy. I remember thinking, man that has got to hurt.

Granted the home depot bag will split after the first hit but it should give you so time to draw your gun.

Also, why would you buy batteries at home depot? Walmart's cheaper and the derelicts in the Walmart parking lot are a lot easy to get a read on.

I was thinking the same thing Ted...

Home Depot would be one of the last places I'd make a specific trip to just to buy batteries.
    Down there with Radio $hack or to a local medical supply house so as to pay straight retail.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I'm assuming HD is closest here for the OP's quick trip, and it's his scenario...

I don't carry OC, don't want to... might in future, prolly not. I've had the stuff leak on me before... not worth it (to me). "You had pepper spray, why didn't you use that?"

Always carry a knife... goes on before the gun... another small one on keychain...

I would switch directions again to see if he followed me. if so the gun would be coming out of the holster.You never know what this guy has for a weapon. I would not shoot unless your stalker tries to over come me or pulls a weapon. A call to 911 might be wise.

When he was 30' away, why not get in the car and leave. Why stand there starring at the goofy guy. If you are on the other side of the car, why not get in it, slide over and drive away? I have had "the feeling" and hurried my getting in the car and leaving quite a few times. Don't know if there was an actual threat or not, but why find out?

I wouldn't drop the bag either, what if he takes the bag and walks away? Is that OK?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links