guy keeps on coming - Page 3

guy keeps on coming

This is a discussion on guy keeps on coming within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just two days ago a shoplifting suspect slashed a city marshall when he was confronted at HOME DEPOT here in Corpus Christi. Corpus Christi, TX ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Just two days ago a shoplifting suspect slashed a city marshall when he was confronted at HOME DEPOT here in Corpus Christi.

Corpus Christi, TX | KRISTV.com | Shoplifting Suspect Slashes City Marshal, Flees

I always carry spray and would use it in the OP's situation assuming I feel threatened and he hasn't stopped. Also, there's a good chance I'd get a feel for his intent by his body language. not guaranteed, but quite possible.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

My answer depends on disparity of force
    and can go a few different ways.

Does you state permit Open carry?

1. In your scenario, you could have done the buckeye tuck as you made my way back to the hardware store slowly while facing him.Or back to your car. Don't let him pursue you thru the parking lot, if you do it puts HIM in control.

Do you have any H2H or CQC skills? if so you could watch him as you make your way to your vehicle and If he charges, prepare to meet him force to force and use whatever tool is available.
    What did you have in your bag ( I forgot) a wrench?, carpenters pencil? anything. Remember hard object against soft tissue is effective.

If he posses a serious bodily threat to you and/or he has a weapon..If he charges draw, and yell stop! and then yell for witnesses to call 911. If he doesn't stop, shoot him.

-----
    Last edited by eggs; June 25th, 2010 at 11:06 PM.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Please, I beg of you... FINISH THE STORY!!!

(and well handled so far)
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

I think the verbalizations are good. I would not be playing musical cars with him. As some others have said, I would use my great personality and friendly nature to convince him that he should go somewhere else.

If he continued, when he got within range I would give him a front thrust kick in the hip area, slowing/stopping him and go from there. If he pulled a blade as he was approaching, the same kick while drawing and firing. Many will say he will just stab you in the leg, but if you try it FoF, by the time most think of it they have been shot four or five times. Movement can be good, if you have the physical condition and confidence that you can evade him and shoot him sufficiently befor he can stab you.

Wow alot of posts!

Ok on with the story!

So the guy is looking at me when i yell stop.

By now alot of people are looking in my direction.

He kind of squints his eyes for a few seconds and mutters something under his breath. He then kinda routates around in a 360 and then heads away from me into the store muttering all the way... Keep in mind my direction to him is completly opposite the store, so him coming at me was not him just trying to get to the store.

My only guess is that he had some sort of mental problem.

My next concern was if he was about to go shoot up a home depot!

Called the PD and told them my story and made sure to mention the ccw part. A car was in the area ( got there in a few minutes) He asked immediatly where my gun was and when I told him it was on my right hip, he just smiled and said" All right, no problem as long as it stays there"

When i described the guy to the officer he just frowned and said "that is Kenny, he's not all there." At that point "Kenny" came out of the store and I IDed him. The officer had a talk with him and we all went on our way.

I guess this guy is pretty well known and has some major issues and is on medication. He has never been violent, but has had the cops called on him ALOT. He currently works for dominoes as one of those dancing human billboards while listening to the monkees over and over.....

Silver lining---->OC IN NOW PART OF MY EDC KIT!!!!
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I don't think Kenny is long for this world...
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

My son was on a ride along when his rookie LEO got a domestic violence call. They confronted a mountain of a man that wasn't all there abd wanted to have some funnin. He hadn't hurt anybody but had busted up the kitchen a bit.

The LEO called for backup and tried to talk the guy into a peaceful resolution, but no deal. Son said the guy moved slow but was too big and strong for the two of them. The LEO tased him knocking him down but the guy just pulled out the probes and stood up.

Backup arrived and a couple of the pros talked to him about going off his meds again. He acted embarrassed and went peacefully - they took him to the "home".

Appears the guys knew the address and situation and had fun with the rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I agree with this statement!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

If he doesn't get killed i expect he is likely to get a severe beating from someone less forgiving than I.

I have some HTH training but not enough to be completly confident.

I'm alittle angry now some time has passed for being put in that situation. But it was a learning experiance.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

You should have taken out your cell phone and called 911 first. Then given them a running detail of what was going down.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I'm assuming HD is closest here for the OP's quick trip, and it's his scenario...

I don't carry OC, don't want to... might in future, prolly not. I've had the stuff leak on me before... not worth it (to me). "You had pepper spray, why didn't you use that?"

Always carry a knife... goes on before the gun... another small one on keychain...
    FWIW, I have carried Fox labs personal pocket spray for a year now. About time to replace it too. It has never leaked in my pocket. And I have had to superglue the top back on. I've dropped it from the seat of a tractor trailer, onto concrete warehouse floors, and my tile floors. Nada, still kicking. Just a thought.

My mom works for the local PD in dispatch. She knows the "regular customers" by name, physical description, normal complaint, and voice. I ran into a lady while doing volunteer work for my Church. Gave my mom her first name and description. I got enough info to decide that it was not in my best interest to work with her. Stone cold CRAZY!!!!!!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    +1
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Still not a reason to drop the bag... and the batteries ain't coming out of those 20 pack cards, they might come out of the box... and if he's close enough to use the bag on him... he's close enough for me to use it as a possibly painful distraction... and then draw the gun, if needed.

Let's see what else has happened.. OP... finish the story, or take us to the next chapter.
    A bag used as a weapon or distraction can buy you valuable time. To move off the "X"; get to better cover; or get better shot placement.

I asked this very same question to My Krav Maga instructor. Guy comming at you no visable weapon, ignores repeated demands to stop. His reply; "your hands are up, plams open and when he get in reach deck him with a two hand spear to the chest or face as hard as you can. Don't even think about it, just do it"

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber View Post
    i would have been open carrying.
    +1!
    "oh crap that guy has a gun, he means business."
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links