guy keeps on coming

This is a discussion on guy keeps on coming within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok I was walking through the parking lot at home depot today. Just bought some batteries for my xbox controller. I scan my immediate surrounding ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: guy keeps on coming

guy keeps on coming

Ok I was walking through the parking lot at home depot today. Just bought some batteries for my xbox controller. I scan my immediate surrounding as usual as i walk to my car. I notice a man in his late twenties walking toward me but i assume he is walking to the store front. He's scruffy looking, but so am i when i have chores around the house

But something is wrong. I notice he is staring right at me and walking right in my direction. He is between me and my car so i pretend to look for my car a aisle over. As I move over so does he. Still staring and coming at me.

Now i wonder if i did something, Maybe something like a rock came out the back of my pickup and hit his windsheild. Hopefully..........

He is still pretty far, about 30 feet but definatly coming over to me.
    I smile and say "Hi, something wrong?"

Nothing just stares.

Now he's inside twenty feet and alarm bells are going off. Things like the 21 foot rule with knives pop into my mind.

I let the bag drop from my left hand and circle around a station wagon to get it beween me and him.

In a loud voice I yell something like "Sir you are making me uncomfortable, please back off!" Some people are near and are definatly noticing. I have a firm defensive posture and have my right hand poised near the butt of the g19 i carry at 3:30 iwb.

He is now only two cars over. He has nothing in his hands and has not said a word. He has slowed down a bit, but looks as though he is deciding which side of the station wagon to approach from.

I yell real loud "stop!!!"

Ok i will stop now and see what you guys think so far. Would you have drawn already or said something different?

What would you do. What if he keeps coming?

And say this was a quick trip. I didn't grab the OC or the pocket knife I normally bring to keep the glock company.

You only have your gun
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

2. Remove Ads

I would have done what you did so far, but I don't duck behind a car at all... I would be standing ground with a look that let them know the space better not be invaded and if they have business with me they better be telling me what it is .....

I guess I don't usually have an issue after that point. My daughter says I have "a look" that I get in that type of situation which clearly communicates how 'serious' I am and she says it would scare the devil himself.

It also depends upon how I read his intent..... as I may also just say "what's up ? ".

I'd say keep moving around....be a hard target...***IF*** he produces a weapon (knife, gun, club, etc.) and continues chasing you, I'd say you've fulfilled the requirements for retreat and self-defense. I would continue to be verbal in your intent to be left alone (for witnesses to recount later)...vs "He just shot him...I don't know why!"
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I would do what you did, but my grumpy old guy, and unfriendly look, coupled with some adjectives and hand motions...usually I find that panhandlers turn directions and spout out something like, "He's crazy!"

That's fine with me...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    And say this was a quick trip. I didn't grab the OC or the pocket knife I normally bring to keep the glock company.

You only have your gun
    Don't do that again. The only optional thing I carry is a flashlight. And it's quickly becoming indispensable. I grab my spray if I'm going outside in the yard. I'd rather spray a dog than shoot it. Same thing here. I can't do that if it's in the house. Wife thinks I'm weird, but it's all good.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Is this just hypothetical or what?
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

hypothetical it seems like...I don't carry spray so my only non lethal option against an unarmed attacker is my body
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    hypothetical it seems like...I don't carry spray so my only non lethal option against an unarmed attacker is my body
    Me to...I'm fairly big (6'4", around 240) and know how to use my voice...I've never had too much issue with people avoiding me if I want them to (my wife says I can stare real mean...but really, I'm a ***** cat )

My sidearm is the only weapon I carry...unless you count a Gerber multi-tool...

I think the op is a great way to handle the situation...up to this point...

I can't wait to hear "THE REST OF THE STORY"...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

i'm 5'6" and 165ish lbs but I know how to use what I got.

howveer in this scenario with the person chasing him around the parking lot, I think giving clear verbal warnings and posturing the way he did would be the right thing. this guy is obviously up to something and its not asking directions.....
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    If he doesn't produce a weapon and gets within striking distance I am going to knock the crap out of him and continue to hit him until he loses concienceness or runs off.

Wake up your having a nightmare
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Wake up your having a nightmare
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Senior Member Array KiltedTexan's Avatar
    Just a thought: this guy could be deaf...
    XD Service .45 ACP
    XDM .45 ACP Bi-Tone
    Ruger LCR .38 Special +P CT
    Texas CHL
    NRA Member

Just a thought: this guy could be deaf...
    not exactly and excuse for following a guy all over a parking lot in a threatening manner without trying to communicate in some fashion (if he's been deaf a while he should know better and should have some way to express himself, I know enough deaf people to know this)
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    Even a deaf person can see a hand motion to stop and certainly interpret facial expressions -plus often lip read.

SO far in the story, doing good. Keep object between the two, use command voice, draw attention of crowd.

At this point guy could be mute, and just wanting to hand back to you the wallet you dropped. Too soon for a gun or for anything physical besides keeping space with movement.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links