Interesting experience at the range tonight

This is a discussion on Interesting experience at the range tonight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I keep at least two EDC mags in my range bag, just in case....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting experience at the range tonight

I keep at least two EDC mags in my range bag, just in case.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

2. Remove Ads

Ideally I would have an additional weapon with me while at the range, unfortunately I only have the one (so far). So my only option is to keep an extra magazine loaded and ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Are you carrying normal fmj ammo in your carry weapon? If so, you might want to look into a quality hollowpoint round
    I do carry Corbon hollow points as my EDC rounds, unfortunately I had unloaded my HP rounds and put them in their box while I was plinking.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    Well, it may not help you but your story helped me.
    I'm glad my screw up could help others. That's what these forums are for.
    "Bolt actions speak louder than words."

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    When I go to the range I take three or four guns to shoot. My concealed gun of the day does not get used at the range. It stays concealed and ready in case I should need it.
    I do this, or I will alternate them. Un-conceal one, conceal another.

Don't get caught with your pants down!

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin

I bought a range mag. It stays loaded with FMJ's and is my emergency reload stashed in the nightstand drawer. I got tired of unloading carry ammo to load range ammo to shoot. When I am at the range I have my carry mag on the table, and the spare on my weak side. The range mag is in use.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    Well, it may not help you but your story helped me. In my paranoia, I always secure one magazine loaded with "duty" ammo on my person when I am target shooting/plinking because you never know when the SHTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I do this!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I have enough magazines that I always leave my two carry magazines loaded with my "game time bullets". No matter what I leave those loaded and in my mag while I am at the range. Before I leave, I put them where they need to be on me.
    Glock 19
    Springfield XD45
    Para Ord SF-45-A

Being a victim is a choice, it doesn't have to be yours - Support Concealed Carry on Campus

to the OP glad everything worked out ok
    Extra mag with HP in mag holster
    I carry a gun to protect myself & the people I love from the Monsters that roam this earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai View Post
    I always keep an extra mag loaded for the gun I am firing, and I keep at least one of my other guns on my person, locked and loaded. Glad to see that nothing apparently happened, and this is just a learning experience without too much pain.
    Bingo! ^^

If you are going to train with the gun you walked in off the street with, an item I generally will not do, then remove your duty magazines and picket them on your body (i.e. left rear pocket).

Better yet bring a range gun to train with as separate from that of your carry gun.

Also, why advance toward the parking lot with an empty gun when you expected danger?
    Stop in the safe place (building), reload your magazine(s), load your firearm safely in a safe area (range!)...And then go to investigate your vehicle.

There is no real rush to get there.

Why?

Because if you do get there and find a person(s) at your car stealing it or taking contents from inside it, what are you gonna do with an empty gun and a handful of rounds n magazines?
    What you gonna do if they are armed?
    What you gonna do if they do happen to get your stuff and/or take off with your car?

As well it's interesting tome that the range personnel made a personal choice to not only follow you out the door but to arm himself as well in the process. To do what exactly I wonder.

Place his own life & livelihood and that of his familys wealth and health on the line to stop a possible theft of property not his own?
    Place his employer in a potential position of culpability by his acting, on their behalf, to be a pseudo-security agent? I hope they have really good insurance and a written company policy allowing such action/re-action.

Did either of you think to look out the window toward the car first to observe and see what if anything might be the cause for issue?
    The car was parked directly in front of the business so looking out a window even the building doors window would have been a good initial play to ascertain what your environment might be as prior to going outside.

This was to my view a good dry run for you as to several views.
    Now is the time to think on this and orient a plan for next time. stow that plan away as a sub-routine of sorts in your brain so that the next time such an event occurs you won't be caught just simply acting by reaction. Rather next time you'll know what to do, when and how to do it, and what not to do as well....Because you have a plan. Follow the plan.

In orienteering and survival courses there is an acronym taught called 'S.T.O.P.'.
    It stands for; Stop, Think, Orient & Observe, Plan.
    Some folks learn it as S.T.P.A; Stop, Think, Plan, Act.

No matter whihc you prefer the bottom line is this can save you major money, if not your life.
    Personally I have found that it is applicable to all degrees of life including that of walking around in the world with a self defense tools.

This is not a criticism.
    Thank you for posting about the incident as others reading this thread may learn lessons from it as in what not to do.

$0.02 street.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Also, why advance toward the parking lot with an empty gun when you expected danger?
    Stop in the safe place (building), reload your magazine(s), load your firearm safely in a safe area (range!)...And then go to investigate your vehicle.

There is no real rush to get there.

Why?

Because if you do get there and find a person(s) at your car stealing it or taking contents from inside it, what are you gonna do with an empty gun and a handful of rounds n magazines?
    What you gonna do if they are armed?
    What you gonna do if they do happen to get your stuff and/or take off with your car?
    In hindsight all of your points make perfect sense. But none of them occurred to me during that initial adrenaline surge.

Did either of you think to look out the window toward the car first to observe and see what if anything might be the cause for issue?
    The car was parked directly in front of the business so looking out a window even the building doors window would have been a good initial play to ascertain what your environment might be as prior to going outside.
    The entrance is on the front of the building and the parking lot is on the side. There are no windows anywhere except the front, but I'll keep your suggestion in mind for the future.

This is not a criticism.
    Thank you for posting about the incident as others reading this thread may learn lessons from it as in what not to do.

$0.02 street.

- Janq
    I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions, yours too Janq. I don't take offense to them, I view them as CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and I welcome someone elses take on the matter. You've pointed out things that I hadn't considered even days after the incident. As you've said, this was a good dry run for me and I want to learn as much as possible from it.
    "Bolt actions speak louder than words."

Good thread.

I carry my P3AT in pocket and I leave a loaded mag/or weapon on the roller table in the middle of the room that I'm shooting in. (I shoot in a Sig Academy type room range.)

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

As others have noted, I keep my EDC on me loaded and ready to go when I'm at the range.

I always have a loaded firearm in it's holster on my hip, while I"m shooting whatever it is I"m shooting at the range.

Yep, had my car do the same thing... motion sensors , even thru the wall, kept setting off the alarm.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I agree with others, the ammo I shoot is generally not what I carry. That gets a little expensive. I always carry +1 and with an extra mag. My magazine from the gun goes on the loading table and the spare stays wherever it is at the time. I have two more magazines which I use for the range. So basically at all times I have at least two magazines loaded.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links