Interesting experience at the range tonight

This is a discussion on Interesting experience at the range tonight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hadn't been to the range in a few weeks so I opted to go plinking for a bit tonight. I was in the last ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting experience at the range tonight

Interesting experience at the range tonight

I hadn't been to the range in a few weeks so I opted to go plinking for a bit tonight. I was in the last stall on the pistol side and I had just finished off a 100 pack of Wally World Winchesters. As I emptied my first mag of the new box I felt my pocket vibrating and heard a squealing sound through my ear muffs. I ejected my now empty mag and put down my M&P and grabbed my keys out of my pocket.

I looked at my pager remote and it's flashing/vibrating/sounding. At first I thought the concussions from the range must have set off the shock sensor. The car was parked less than ten feet from the outside of the range wall.

I focus on the screen expecting it to say "Shock sensor" but instead it says "Door open". What???!!! door open?

The possibilities quickly run through my mind and I think "no one would be stupid enough to break into a car parked at a gun range. Would they?"

I look down at my M&P, both the mags are empty... what do I do??? (I had a serious oh crap moment).

I holster my gun and grab a handful of bullets and start loading a mag as I make my way out of the range. Two range guys see me and ask "is that your car?" as one follows me out the front door (armed).

I get outside and see my car lights flashing like a Christmas tree but no one around (By this point I had 6 rounds in the mag and the gun was locked and loaded, but reholstered).

We survey the car, no damage, doors locked, glass not broken.

I still don't know what the hell happened, the alarm is less than a month old and it's never flaked out on me like that before.

But I learned a VERY valuable lesson tonight. Always keep an extra mag loaded at the range. You never know when you might need it.
    "Bolt actions speak louder than words."

2. Remove Ads

I always keep an extra mag loaded for the gun I am firing, and I keep at least one of my other guns on my person, locked and loaded. Glad to see that nothing apparently happened, and this is just a learning experience without too much pain.

Quote Originally Posted by LunarEclipse View Post
    The possibilities quickly run through my mind and I think "no one would be stupid enough to break into a car parked at a gun range. Would they?"
    I thought the same thing when somebody sliced the tires of a few friends at a local range (anti gun county in a blue state). I said what you said and my buddy replied "maybe it's somebody that doesn't like guns" I think he may just have had a point.

I always keep my loaded G30 on me when I'm at the range. Even if I don't plan on shooting it, it still comes with me. If I happen to be shooting the G30 on that given day I'll carry my G23.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

After I prove a sort of hollowpoint in my carry weapon, I usually only shoot off my one carry mag at the range, and still have my two spare mags of HP on m person (if I am shooting my ccw piece).

Are you carrying normal fmj ammo in your carry weapon? If so, you might want to look into a quality hollowpoint round
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by LunarEclipse View Post
    But I learned a VERY valuable lesson tonight. Always keep an extra mag loaded at the range. You never know when you might need it.

There seems to be rash of people going into public indoor shooting ranges to commit suicide lately... What's to stop someone from going on a shooting spree and shooting others as well?

You never know when or where, or what circumstances you may need to defend yourself these days.

I don't use indoor ranges anymore because there aren't any close by, but I do go to Dept. of Conservation outdoor ranges. I always have one loaded gun holstered on my person, regardless of what I'm shooting.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Most times I go to the range I take at least one gun besides my edc. My edc stays loaded in holster while I practice with the other gun(s). When I'm done practicing with the other guns, I load one of them with defensive ammo and keep it on the bench (or in my holster, if it's near the same size as my edc) while I practice with my edc. On the rare occasions that I take only my edc to the range, I keep at least one magazine loaded at all times.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

Senior Moderator
    I have read about BGs that 'stake out' shooting ranges and follow the unwary shooter home. The idea is that they know he has a gun(s) and now they know where he lives; then when he's not home....
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Well, it may not help you but your story helped me. In my paranoia, I always secure one magazine loaded with "duty" ammo on my person when I am target shooting/plinking because you never know when the SHTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When at the range, I'm still armed for SD. Our range has a 'live in' guard/instructor and parking is 'fenced'.
    Glad the OP found everything to be OK.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Glad I don't have to deal with this malarky anymore

How can there be "self help GROUPS"?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

When I go to the range I take three or four guns to shoot. My concealed gun of the day does not get used at the range. It stays concealed and ready in case I should need it.

Distinguished Member
    Good point, thank you.

Both the local ranges in my area are very remote. It would be relatively easy for someone to take advantage of someone while shooting just as the BG's in the FBI Miami shootout did.

I always carry in addition to the weapon I am shooting. I also keep a check around me as I am often the only person there.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    When I go to the range I take three or four guns to shoot. My concealed gun of the day does not get used at the range. It stays concealed and ready in case I should need it.
    You got it! I do the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links