Defensive Carry banner

Defending against unruly mob/civil unrest

7K views 52 replies 34 participants last post by  TVJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Ive done multiple searches in hopes to find some thoughts regarding the legality of defending your home/family from mobs or civil unrest. Not a permanent breakdown of rule of law-however a temporary breakdown in civil order. Local law enforcement is too occupied to maintain order in neighborhoods. Id rather dig in rather than bug out, but have a BOB ready as a last resort.

The senario(which is what im planning to do)- Youve prepped for a situation like this. So you hunker down and dig in. As you watch the news you notice people running down the street and side walks out infront of your home. Some are starting go kick in doors. Dragging your neighbors out and taking whatever supplies they have.

You mostlikely already have your AK/AR/12ga handy since youre already expecting the worst. What do you do?

What Id like to do is start firing (hopefully Ill have my AR with a 90rd drum by then) from inside the house at anyone assaulting my neighbors-while hoping the gunfire will demoralize or disperse the mob. If the mob turns and focuses on my home I would continue to fire to hold them back. Id rather start firing from a distance rather than wait for the mob to enter my home and enact the castle doctrine.

BUT- When the dust settles, the bodies just dont disappear. The bodies will still be there, and I will be liable for my actions when law and order is restored.

A little about my situation and neighborhood. Its not a gated community. If you have google maps search "deltona, florida". You will see its a spaghetti bowl. No street flows in a straight line. You cant realistically defend a street or block with all the curbs. Have two vacant homes on my street. Nearest major city is Orlando, followed by Daytona Beach.

My home isnt the largest nor is it the hardest target. It has a large glass sliding door in the rear. Single floor. Yard isnt fenced. I get along with all my neighbors. However the only like minded neighbor is an elderly man next door. He owns one pistol with a box of 9mm cartridges, an old sears 12gauge with a pitted barrel, and an old marlin .22 thats also corroded. All other neighbors are either elderly and or severely unprepared for such a situation.

So im pretty much alone on the defensive side. Sorry for such a long post. I hope its not a dumb post- its something im genuinely concerned about. Mobs and riots are a very real thing. Mobs and riots happen when a local basketball team wins. Where the rioters are not hungry, and are disorganized. How much worse are they going to be when theyre desperate, hungry, and organized? No one is going to put their hands on my wife, or take the items that we've worked so hard to put asside, to increase our chances of survival.

Will check posts tomorrow morning- g'night all. Stay safe!

See less See more
#34 ·
Thanks everyone for your insight. Like Bomber mentioned, Im hoping that the sight of a pump gun, automatic rifle (AR/AK/saiga12) would be enough to discourage a mob. However mobs can be pretty irrational. Do you think a jury or prosecutor use the fact that I was already outside with a long gun against me? Waiting to pick a fight? Rather than hiding in the protection of our home to avoid a mob? Just thinkin. I really appreciate all of your thoughts on this. Loving this forum.

#38 ·
A better way would be for the neighbors to band together when looting starts in the area and post armed sentries- a guy or two in the bed of a pickup truck at roads heading into the subdivision would work fine. You need two things- a way to encourage people to head another direction, and the ability to respond with a number of armed people if the mob is spotted coming. Shotguns would be good, rifles better- you don't want them to get close enough for handguns!

#43 ·
Lol! True there are a lot of elderly folk in my neighborhood. At the same time we have some thugs that live on other streets. I had a big problem with hoodlums walking through my yard to get one street over. Another time I had two punks looking in my bedroom window. (I had left the window open that day cause the. Weather was nice. ) I grabbed my 870 and quietly walked to the window. I heard them still whispering to each other- I racked it and said that nothing in the house was worth getting shot over.

Yes while there are a lot of elderly, we have a lot of flunkies that can cause trouble and harm. Google deltona mass murder. Thanks for all your thoughts, I'm enjoying reading your thoughts. Keep them comming.

#41 ·
If they threaten my life, or they start dragging neighbors out of or starting occupied houses on fire, I will be defending my neighbors and my family. There is NO way I am standing by while people are in danger, whatever the law may say. I'd rather sit in jail knowing that I saved a family from being burned alive than be free with a guilty conscience.

My first thoughts would be roadblocks of vehicles at the end of my block, or further out if able to scrounge up that many defenders. Second would be sitting on my roof with my .22, shotgun and AK. The .22 is scoped and the most likely to be less-lethal especially if bounced. I would engage with that at about 100yds and hope that the sound of rounds overhead discourages them. If not, bounce some rounds off the road. Then bounce bird or buck with the shotgun, or perhaps lob birdshot in. Wouldn't cause injury at long range, but could be a decent deterent. If all else fails, I will use deadly force, but that would be LAST resort.

It isn't hard to imagine this happening in my town, as it has become a lot less of the nice town it was ie more assaults, murders, robberies etc than ever before. I blame that on the people from Milwaukee and such that have moved up here and brought gangs and such behavior with. We live only a few blocks from some of the more shadier areas, even though ours is still a nice area.

#42 ·
Anybody out there ready to toss a flaming bottle at your home - best take a quick and carefully aimed pop at that individual.

You don't need to get burned out of your castle and forced into the street at a time when the fire department will likely be busy everywhere else.

And have a couple of sheets of 1" plywood handy to close up that sliding glass door should the need ever arise.

#44 ·
Anybody out there ready to toss a flaming bottle at your home - best take a quick and carefully aimed pop at that individual.

You don't need to get burned out of your castle and forced into the street at a time when the fire department will likely be busy everywhere else.
Definitely something to be aware of if you choose a "close in" defense. If not taken seriously your neighborhood could end up looking like this...

Attachments

#45 ·
Living in the Poconos, which has come to be known as the 6th borough of nyc, I don't know if I would stick around out here if there was some kind of a non-localized riot or a full out collapse. Atleast not in my house, it's indefensable. If there was a collapse, as many people who could get out of the city before the bridges were blown, blocked, or overrun, would head straight into the Poconos. We're talking hundreds of thousands within the first day or two, if the road ways didn't become impassable.

The looting and chaos here would be heavy, almost as heavy as within the cities. Fortunately, alot of the good folks around here own firearms and there's been so much tension, it would give them good cause to use them. That being said, maybe word of everyone coming across the PA border being shot on sight would get back to the city, and they would stop coming here..

ETA: I went to an annual survivalist event held by our local police a few weeks ago, and they really tried to push for everyone having atleast a 3 month supply of food for everyone in your home. They didn't get much into firearms, at all, because of liability purposes/bad media. However, be rest assured some of these guys are ready for the undead to rise from the graveyard, all while fighting off the chinese at the same time.

#47 ·
Underground hide out.

#48 ·
I found out recently I live in the safest neighborhood I possibly could. My street is only one block long and ends in a cul-de-sac. There is deep water on all three sides. I am the only one on the block who isn't a current or retired pilot. Most of which are former air force or marines. I have electrically operated hurricane/security shutters on every window and sliding glass door. The front door and garage entry door are reinforced fiberglass with dead bolts. I found out at a recent block party that most of my neighbors are gun freaks and several have secret panels that hide large gun cabinets and safes. We have all been buying large quantities of ammo and stock piling it. Lots of 12 ga. 00 buck and .223 ammo. Let 'em come!

#50 ·
If there is a widespread breakdown in law and order and roving bands of marauders are in the neighborhood, the LAST thing I'll worry about is what the DA thinks.

Warning signs, armed sentries, and shoot to kill if threatened. Leave the bodies in the street as a warning to anyone else who comes through. If it happens, it ain't gonna be pretty and the law will be a long time coming back out to where I am.

#51 ·
Try to put together some type of shelter inside your house. I'm in the planning stage for one myself. The ideal room would stand up to any natural disaster (tornado, flood, power outage, fire, etc) depending on where you live. Obviously you can only do what you can afford. Try to make it secure against home invasions. Some cheap scrap iron in the walls would make it bulletproof and leave room for shooting ports. Secure the doors well and try to have a hidden way of escape. It would be a good place to store supplies that you want to have anyway such as extra food, water, batteries, radios, 1st aid, cell phone, a stocked gun safe, etc. Some tools would be good in case you need to dig out from a tornado, etc. Ideally it would have a way to supply fresh air or at least quality filter masks. I would store my scuba tanks there for a few hours worth of pure air. I plan to put together what I can afford, which isn't much, but is better than nothing. If a person, mob or disaster compromises the security of the rest of your home, there will be a place to go until you plan your bug out.

#52 ·
Try to put together some type of shelter inside your house... Some cheap scrap iron in the walls would make it bulletproof and leave room for shooting ports...
:haha: Bulletproof

Bullet resistant.

I'd not want to hang out long behind 1/2 plate. Another 20 rounds @ 300m started to rip through the center. Didn't bother to see what would happen at anything closer than 100m (no fun).

Spooky lesson between cover and concealment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.