Scenario: hold up in a restaurant - Page 2

Scenario: hold up in a restaurant

This is a discussion on Scenario: hold up in a restaurant within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by First Sgt Without the robber/gunman noticing, I believe I would ease my weapon out and have it ready "under the table". Based ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scenario: hold up in a restaurant

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Without the robber/gunman noticing, I believe I would ease my weapon out and have it ready "under the table". Based on stated location of where I and the wife are sitting, it appears we are not in a location to seek cover/concealment nor to try to exit the restaurant. Based on the numbers of people stated being in the restaurant, I'm sure there is always the possibility of panic. If that happens, then I would have to see what opportunity presented itself, either to exit or fight. By having my weapon at the ready under the table, I would be doing the only possible thing to prepare to defend myself and my wife, while sitting quietly and being a good witness. JMO
    This is the best answer so far, I would make ready and once it involved me or could involve me (the BG started shooting) then I would use a surprising amount of violence
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    So I'm seated and close enough to hear his threat? If I can draw unnoticed by the B.G. I'm taking the head shot.Not going to wait till he has his gun pointed at me or mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    You're seated close to the cash register having dinner with your wife in a fairly crowded restaurant. You have your gun with you.

A gunman walks up to the cash register, points a gun at the waitress and says.."give me the money or I'll blow your head off."

What would you do?
    Check Please!
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

I'm with post #13 at #17.

Nothing gets me in the mood for food quite like a dead bad dude.

I could go either way. It would depend on my read of the guy, dingy, higher than a kite and if the cashier got the money out quick or fumbled the drawer, etc. Also how good a shot, background, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If he's concentrating on the cashier, I'm creating a new passageway from one of his ears to the other. Then I'm asking for a free meal.

Somebody needs to say it!
    My concern there would be collateral damage. If you miss or the bullet goes straight through, you could very well injure or kill someone else.

As with almost all of these questions, it's very situationally dependent. There are a million and one variables that would affect how I handled the situation.

'1.Every location contains inherent advantages and disadvantages; whatever hand you are dealt can be improved by set up and positioning.

2. For most types of attack, 25 feet of space between attacker and target just about assures the target's survival..'

Paraphrased from Just 2 Seconds

If at all possible, I am not going to be near the register to begin with, I will try to have view and access to ingress/egress points. I may or may not have my back to the wall... If I have a better view of ingress/egress without being seen myself, I will take that position.

That said... in the OP's scenario... I would be a good witness, prepared to defend myself and loved ones with a surreptitiously drawn weapon.

I could not sit next to an armed robbery and let it happen knowing that I am armed and capable of stopping the threat to the cashier. Imagine the cashier as your wife/sister/daughter/etc. Now imagine that cashier being shot while an armed person sits idly by just being a “good witness.” I couldn’t live with myself.
    Of course this is situational and if you don’t have a safe shot, then you can’t be reckless, but I would do everything that I could to stop the event just as if I was the main target.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    You're seated close to the cash register having dinner with your wife in a fairly crowded restaurant. You have your gun with you.

A gunman walks up to the cash register, points a gun at the waitress and says.."give me the money or I'll blow your head off."

What would you do?
    Easy answer: it depends! There are a lot of potential variables. In general, though, I'm not getting involved if I don't have to. If I'm going to be in an establishment that gets robbed, I prefer that the roberry goes quickly, silently, with no violence. Gunfights are bad news and I don't want lead flying around me or my family.

If for some reason you do shoot, be aware that many others may not even know a robbery is in progress. If the first indication to people that something is wrong is you with a gun in your hand, you may very well end up getting shot by someone else in the restaurant.

Also, it is a huge mistake to assume that your shots will be the last shots and that the robber will not get any shots off in your direction.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman36 View Post
    I could not sit next to an armed robbery and let it happen knowing that I am armed and capable of stopping the threat to the cashier.
    You surely overestimate your powers to safely stop the robbery.

Imagine the cashier as your wife/sister/daughter/etc. Now imagine that cashier being shot while an armed person sits idly by just being a “good witness.”
    The scenario did not say someone was being shot. You made that up yourself.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

i think i may draw and depending on laws i may try to in a sense detain him order him to the ground and say you wait there till the police get here and take care of you, however if for some reason that is illegal i will draw and keep in out of sight and if the situation turns violent he would get a hole in his head

"It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
    The scenario did not say someone was being shot. You made that up yourself.
    OTOH, there are many documented cases of robbers shooting the cashier after getting the money. You can't just assume he's going to take the loot and leave.

As others have commented, you have to consider the state of the robber and victim, the backdrop, bystanders, etc.

Personally, I'm going to be a good witness. If I can, I'll draw and keep the gun down, out of sight. But, if I genuinely believe that the robber is going to shoot the cashier anyway (based on his demeanor), I might consider shooting him.

Although it's not in the scenario as presented, if the robber attempts to herd the customers and staff into the back room, all bets are off. I'd rather die fighting (and hopefully ruin his victory celebration) than get executed in some kitchen or back office.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I never sit by the cash register, restroom or entrance.
    Or the kitchen, or the busboy area.

Quote Originally Posted by Richiehd View Post
    or my back to the door
    Exactly. Took my gf awhile to understand why I do this. Now, she appreciates it.
    Also, when I used to get in "trouble" years ago when married looking at everyone that walked by. (Just seemed to be beautiful women?) lol Nope, it could be a 10 yr old or an 85 yr old, I just always look at everyone that walks by; usually, it's merely a "scan" of them, not a stare, but they are noticed, and taken in, in regards to my surroundings.
    Or, why I always ask for a booth in an area that we prefer. -Why sit next to screaming kids if there are 5 other booths wide open farther down? I've never had a problem with a "Seater" leading us towards and area and me smiling and asking nicely, "Could we sit over there in a booth, please?". Most people would just let themselves be seated where they are "led", but you have a choice. You do, really, folks.

Ahh our issues... lol
    Back to the topic. --->(depends on if he tries to interrupt me eating blueberry cheesecake...)
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

So many variables it's really hard to predict. Without adding a lot of "if this" or "if there were..." I would concentrate on getting the gun out of the holster and into my lap. Since we don't know what happened next I can't say what I would do.

I agree that the best course for all involved is generally just to be a good witness.

I went through a very similar situation several years ago. I went to the Benner cafe for dinner. I was seated in the middle of the room, at my request, as there were two doors, one in the front for customers and another that went into the kitchen area. I sat with my back to the side wall.

Not a minute later a Guy walks in and says, "nobody move, I just want the money and I'm out of here. Everybody keep your hands on the table." I tried to slowly move one hand under the table but he saw it and yelled at me to keep my hands above the table.

As the cash register was right inside the door, he then took the money and ran.

I made note of his size, weight and clothing, but didn't call 911. Why you ask?

Well, because this was a shoot/no shoot scenario held at TDI in West Union, Ohio.

A great school and a great learning tool, so much better than just thinking of scenarios. BTW, they replaced my handgun (and that of the bg) with a simunitions pistol. So, I knew that if I did the wrong thing, or was too aggressive, I WOULD get shot - and those suckers hurt!

Sorry, the scenario sounded so familiar I had to mention it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links