Combat Handguns magazine, Sept 2010, Page 8 - Page 2

Combat Handguns magazine, Sept 2010, Page 8

This is a discussion on Combat Handguns magazine, Sept 2010, Page 8 within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yeah, I picked up this issue this week, and it is a good article. I doubt that a significant percentage of civilians who carry (or ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yeah, I picked up this issue this week, and it is a good article. I doubt that a significant percentage of civilians who carry (or LEO's for that matter) have everything planned out like is recommended in this article. Paying attorney retainers prior to any incident and having $5-10K in disposible cash laying around is probably beyond a significant portion of the population, particularly in the current economic situation. Certainly something to talk through with family etc. though.

Alchemist77

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist77 View Post
    Yeah, I picked up this issue this week, and it is a good article. I doubt that a significant percentage of civilians who carry (or LEO's for that matter) have everything planned out like is recommended in this article. Paying attorney retainers prior to any incident and having $5-10K in disposible cash laying around is probably beyond a significant portion of the population, particularly in the current economic situation. Certainly something to talk through with family etc. though.

Alchemist77
    Was the money part the only thing you focused on?

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Was the money part the only thing you focused on?
    uh....no. As with nearly all of Ayoob's columns and books, there were valuable points about preparation for potential events, and it certainly seems possible that even a justified shooting could financially ruin someone even with good counsel, or land them in prison for a long time. Considering those possibilities should be part of the decision to carry or not.

However, as with many aspects in life, retaining a lawyer or sequestering thousands of dollars to do so is a matter of risk, critical path, and probabilities. As I'm sure you know, there are a plethora of companies and people out there who are offering to the every-day person various forms of "insurance" against all sorts of potentially nasty eventualities. If we all paid premiums / membership fees, etc. for all of the various "insurance" options, most of us would not have sufficient cash flow for food and other necessities.

Everyone should prepare, but not everyone will be able to pay preemptive retainer fees or wave large amounts of cash to lure a specialized defense attorney etc. as was suggested to avoid a worst case scenario. If someone can, great.... probably a good idea. But, having a spider, even a sympathetic and friendly one, tell the flies that they need pay for insurance against being caught in a web, and be prepared to "hock" every item of value they have to bribe a good spider to help them in a reasonable period of time bears careful consideration on the possibilities and the nature of spiders.

Alchemist77

A lot of insurance plans we have cheap access to will pay for your defense in a noncriminal situation. If you win they pay if you lose they don't pay because you were criminally negligent.

BTW, I know of no attorney who does not charge his/her mother. Nice attorneys are the ones who give their mom's a professional discount of 3%.
    "I wish I would have done the hard things when they were easier to do."

Just picked up a copy today
    “Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death” –General Omar N. Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by JeffMRC View Post
    BTW, I know of no attorney who does not charge his/her mother. Nice attorneys are the ones who give their mom's a professional discount of 3%.
    Yeah, and the ones who don't offer there moms a discount are running for, or are current members of congress.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links