I need some home security tips. - Page 2

I need some home security tips.

This is a discussion on I need some home security tips. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use an x-10 wireless system, 95 db siren and can be set up with many sensor options. Mine was around 100 bucks or so....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need some home security tips.

I use an x-10 wireless system, 95 db siren and can be set up with many sensor options. Mine was around 100 bucks or so.

Thanks for the ideas. Our dogs are ok, I like the IR and the x10 ideas alot.

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

My first thought was a dog. After that it was a self installed wireless alarm system. You can choose from many different sensors. All you really need to cover is the entry/exit doors and a ground floor motion detector...maybe two. They have pet immune ones up to 80 lbs. You do not need have to have it connected to a monitoring company if you just want it to alert you. The squeal of a piezo sounder in your upper floor hallway will alert you even through closed doors and a/c. I have this and am very happy with it.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    you can go to radio shack and get door alarms for 20 bucks a pop, they arm and disarm with a key that can be removed and they can be set with a 15 second delay for u to disarm them when u come in. very loud, easy to set off too, they just screw in. you can even mount them on windows with 3M tape
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Secure your doors with door bars
    talk a walk around your home and look for potential "weak spots" where access to your home can be easily gained.

Think like a criminal/burglar if you dont want to think like on of them , think like you locked your keys in your house and you need to get in.
    I carry a gun to protect myself & the people I love from the Monsters that roam this earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
    Maybe something like this? Should work indoors too right? Just a thought.Wireless Driveway Alert System
    Yep, These things are handy. I just got the flier the other day and they're down to $14.

I have one base unit that came with one remote head, then bought two more kits that use the same channel. There's a little white sticker that mentions the channel the unit works on.

One head with three sensors. I've got one in the shop, one in the carport, and the third. Shooting the longest distance in the house.

This setup works like a champ.

I spray painted the sensors black and hide them under the car with velcro facing back to moniter an open trailer when we're out on a dirtbike riding weekend if we're in a hotel. They'll trigger the base unit nearly 100 yards.

Dirty

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
    Maybe something like this? Should work indoors too right? Just a thought.Wireless Driveway Alert System
    How often do you have to change the batteries on the sensors and receiver for something like that?

VIP Member

re: Charlie wireless driveway alarm

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1826 View Post
    How often do you have to change the batteries on the sensors and receiver for something like that?
    I don't have an answer. Mine has been running now for about 3 months.

With 3 C cells in there, I think the receive-alert will chug a long time.

The infrared detector run on only a 9 volt. We are in and out through our garage (our what we use as a main entry) so the detector is doing its thing many times a day. 9v batteries can get expensive but you would need to use quite a few to add up to the cost of installing a wired alarm.

What I really like about the one I have is that it is not overly sensitive and doesn't do many false alerts. We have had two alert in 3 months time for no obvious reason, but these could have been a neighbor kid chasing a ball or a neighbor's dog.

VIP Member

re:Nccwchris don't mount with tape

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    you can go to radio shack and get door alarms for 20 bucks a pop, they arm and disarm with a key that can be removed and they can be set with a 15 second delay for u to disarm them when u come in. very loud, easy to set off too, they just screw in. you can even mount them on windows with 3M tape
    Don't mount with tape. My son had quite a scare one time when the sensor fell because the tape let go.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1826 View Post
    The sensors take 9v batteries. I always write the date on the 9v batteries upon replacement. I'll replace them when the red sensor led goes solid. It does depend on how often the sensor sees an IR signature, but the sensor batteries last right at 3 months which isn't bad at all.

The base unit which uses 3 C batteries will last roughly 6 months.

Dirty

A simple trick from a really long time ago (think Depression-era) is to fill a plastic bag with empty aluminum cans and lean it against the door. If the door is opened at all, the bag would tip and spill the cans out onto the floor. With the noise of the empty cans spilling, I'd think that would wake the dead. Just think of really basic "motion detectors" like this that are virtually free and don't require power.

If you don't want to spend a bunch of money on a real alarm system, you might try these cheapo, but god awful obnoxious things. They give off an ear piercing sound that you should be able to hear if someone opens a door or window after everyone goes to bed.

Door and Window Alarms Set of 8 - Improvements Catalog
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links