I'm tellin' ya son it ain't no fun starin' straight down a .44

This is a discussion on I'm tellin' ya son it ain't no fun starin' straight down a .44 within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm tellin' ya son it ain't no fun starin' straight down a .44 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Just got home from work, as usual the neighbor’s dog greeted ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm tellin' ya son it ain't no fun starin' straight down a .44

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got home from work, as usual the neighbor’s dog greeted me as I got out of the car. So, I walked over and scratched her ears. She got out of the fence, ran about 2 steps, yelped and dropped like a rock. I still don’t know what happened but she got up, seemed like she was fine went back in the fence and refused to come back near the gate. I decided her behavior was odd enough to inform the neighbor but not tonight.

About that time I heard the neighbor calling her and decided since he was up anyway I’d tell him about it. Rather than walk out of the dark onto his well lit patio I announced my self and blinked my light.

Next thing I know I’m looking down the barrel of his firestorm .45 ACP (nice gun BTW) I turned my flash (Streamlight Skorpion 114 lumens) back on shined it right in his eyes and said “Put the gun down “ PUT.. IT…. DOWN. I could tell by the look in his eyes he was blinded and he put the gun down very slowly and showed his hands. (He told me he thought I was a cop) Then I, very clearly, identified myself, stepped forward and asked him to show me his new piece and found out that he had heard a noise in the back yard and was investigating.

I got three things out of this

1. I should have called out and identified myself

2. He was investigating “the noise” W/out a round in the chamber I could have had him a dozen times before he even knew I was there if I had malicious intent

3. He was on a well lit patio and had no night vision. He had even less when I bright beamed him.

I don’t know that there’s a moral to the story but it woke me up

2. Remove Ads

I'm glad he didn't fire at the light as soon as it hit him.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I'm glad he didn't fire at the light as soon as it hit him.

He couldn't have if he wanted to, no round in the chamber And I know better than to have the light in line W/ my body.

The moral of the story is:

Don't go looking for that bump in the night, as you just might find it.

Biker

Sponsor
    Did you ever figure out what happened to the dog?

VIP Member
    Might be time to move if the neighbor is pulling a .45 when he thinks cops are around. Good way for the neighborhood to get collateral damage.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Might be time to move if the neighbor is pulling a .45 when he thinks cops are around. Good way for the neighborhood to get collateral damage.
    So he thought you were a cop and aimed a gun at you?That will get him in a body bag,and you had no way of knowing that his gun wasn't loaded until you checked it.I would suggest he get some training before he ends up in trouble
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yep, definitely announce yourself if it is dark outside. A flashlight flashing doesn't give the guy any indication of who you are. Glad nothing bad happened

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    That's what I thought too. But after reading the original post again, I think it means the neighbor thought he was a potential BG when he saw someone approaching, and when the neighbor pointed his gun at him, he shined his flashlight in the neighbor's eyes and said to put the gun down, at which time the neighbor now believed he was a cop.

That's what I thought too. But after reading the original post again, I think it means the neighbor thought he was a potential BG when he saw someone approaching, and when the neighbor pointed his gun at him, he shined his flashlight in the neighbor's eyes and said to put the gun down, at which time the neighbor now believed he was a cop.
    thats what i thought too
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    The protocol for this sort of thing is to shine the light in an upward direction, illuminating yourself so that you can be identified by the other person. Pointing the light at him is a hostile act. Maybe not the kind of thing that will get you shot, but it isn't cool.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What I'm getting out of this is: your neighbor comes out with gun pointed at anyone who "approaches" his house. This is the type of person who gives the anti-gunners fuel to feed their flames. Maybe you need to explain "brandishing a weapon" to him in great detail. Next time--call him.

As for the dog ... invisible fencing?
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yea, I read it as the light & Put the gun down is why he raised his hands, Thought Treo was LEO, At least that's the way it read ; )
    H/D PS Ever find out about dog, (Shock Coller) ??
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawg View Post
    Did you ever figure out what happened to the dog?

No, she acted like she was wearing a shock collar and got buzzed but she wasn't wearing any collar at all. She seems fine this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    What I'm getting out of this is: your neighbor comes out with gun pointed at anyone who "approaches" his house. This is the type of person who gives the anti-gunners fuel to feed their flames. Maybe you need to explain "brandishing a weapon" to him in great detail. Next time--call him.

As for the dog ... invisible fencing?
    A little more detail is needed here. Apparently, my neighbor’s daughter was having a sleep over in a tent in the back yard. They all ”heard a noise” and went running in so dad came out to look The neighbor keeps geese and thought it may have been a coyote or fox after them. Under those circumstances being armed wouldn’t be unreasonable.

It was me shining the flashlight in his eyes that made him think I was a cop.

Glad you neighborhood didn't have have one in the chamber.. wow maybe its time he gets some training.
    I carry a gun to protect myself & the people I love from the Monsters that roam this earth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links