Actually happened... would you have complied...? - Page 3

Actually happened... would you have complied...?

This is a discussion on Actually happened... would you have complied...? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Janq This. ^^ - Janq I value all your post highly but this seems to go against most of the post you ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Actually happened... would you have complied...?

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    This. ^^

- Janq
    I value all your post highly but this seems to go against most of the post you make they have a firearm pointed at you and you comply I just could not do it.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    Nobody has mentioned this yet but there are some very good precautions one can take to minimize your losses in a situation like this.

For starters, I never carry more than $20 cash. My wallet contains my drivers license (of which I have a spare at home), debit card, credit card, and 2-3 other useless cards. The debit card is linked to a small "buffer" account and the real money is in savings.

The second thing you should do is put the phone number for your bank and credit card in your cell phone. This way, as soon as you are robbed, you can immediately notify them before you even get home (assuming you still have your cell phone).

With these precautions in place, you stand to lose nothing of value by giving over your wallet. An afternoon of inconvenience, but nothing more than that. Now I'm not saying that you should hand over your wallet to anyone who asks like a good boy, but you can't always safely fight back when they have the upper hand.

In this situation, I would jump back and dodge away as soon as I saw the sight of that gun. I don't think they should start shooting just because I jumped back as that is an expected reaction, and if they wanted to shoot me for nothing, they already had the chance and didn't take it. I would not draw a gun from behind their vehicle. That's way too sketchy because there are probably several of them in the car all with guns and they could easily jump out and turn it into a horrible situation if I tried to initiate a shootout without cover. I would simply run to find cover, and if I survived long enough to reach cover and they were will following, that's when I would draw and start shooting.
    Wonderful post. I really like the idea of having all of the numbers you need in your cell phone in case you need to call the bank or CC company to alert them. The only think I don't like about this is that now they have your name and your address (from your diver's license) and if they get away - they could come back to your house and attack you, rob you, or who knows? I like the idea of carrying a dummy wallet but it occurred to me that if I put old credit cards, etc. they would still have my personal information. I don't like the idea of giving BGs my personal information for them to do whatever with it. In some ways the BGs having your personal info may be more of a threat to you than what little cash they would get from you. I have even thought of putting those cheesy cardboard credit cards in a dummy wallet (the kind you get in the mail with CC offers) and take the chance that they will be fooled long enough for me to do something - they don't have to be tricked for eternity, only a small amount of time.

I agree with the post that said anytime a gun is drawn on you, you are being attacked and although I can appreciate a lot of responses of what people would do as far as ducking and diving, etc. I have to admit I keep thinking of the old adage that says you can't out draw a drawn gun. You are at a huge disadvantage because they already have the drop on you - you have been ambushed.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Feign fear and compliance. "Oh poop, no problem, here's my wallet." Be meek. Give them a dummy wallet with expired/fake cards and a few bucks in it.

Draw and fire while moving to a difficult position to draw fire. Rear of car, down onto road, etc.

* Paper tags are untraceable in VA. YMMV.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    "Oh poop, no problem, here's my wallet."
    Ha-ha!

I am not advocating "Compliance" I am advocating that one make a proper "Threat Assesment". The OP puts you in a tactically inferior position. YOU must decide the level of threat and the probability that your counter measures will work. In the OP the perp is in a vehicle (he has some cover/concealment) he is holding a gun and you are confronted by him (he also has surprise) plus he has another Perp(s) on scene (numerical superiority). This is not the time to go Cowboy, this is the time to THINK your way through this.

If I am walking through a parking lot at 9 PM I am in condition yellow and if something does not look right condition orange . I carry appendix posistion and am proficient at rapidly accessing my weapon and placing fire on the target. Action trumps reaction. Whoever is walking with me will automatically be posistioned behind me when I face the threat giving them some protection and if it is my wife she will be accessing her 638. Showtime.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Actually...you didn't upset me at all. If you will notice...my initial response to the scenario was identical to your first post. As others have already said, these scenarios are posted to present possibilities, think the situation out, and learn from all the comments and reactions. I do not claim an "all knowing" response to ANY of these scenarios. I have an OPEN MIND which is of paramount importance IF you are willing to learn! As for the distraction option of throwing the wallet to the ground...I'm already in deep stuff, therefore am STILL prepared to and will GET OFF THE X and fight, whether the distraction works or not. But thanks for your input on my reply. It was quite interesting having you put yourself in the BG's shoes and explain to me how the BG would react. Obviously you MUST be speaking and explaining based on your advanced research and experience in said circumstances. Thank you for your enlightenment into the mind of a street criminal. I do apologize for my naivete... Again...JMO
    i'm glad that opposed to upsetting you i just tickled your sarcasm gene into action...i get it...i did see your initial comment...it doesnt change how i feel about the wallet on the ground distraction...

i put myself in the bad guy position to put a thinking human being in the position instead of the idiot that most replies assume is occupying the position...i grew up in a decent middle class neighborhood adjacent to a rough inner city...my mother worked in city schools and brought less fortunate kids home well into their teens on weekends to enjoy what we could offer that they didnt have...i am not touting myself as an expert but you get a bit more of a feeling for the way desperate people think when you live with them even for short periods of time...their mindset isnt what you imagine it is and its difficult for a good law abiding citizen to wrap their head around how these people think and why...thats where my statement that what you consider reason is a street mistake to them and could do more to increase aggression than satisfy it...

there is more i am hesitant to discuss regarding my past but no differently than anyone else including yourself i am throwing ideas out there in the hope that it will help someone make the right decision when the time comes and understand the possible repercussions of a poor decision...any of which could be my own decision...thats why i tack an explanation on my rebuttle as opposed to simply stating i dont think it will work...

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    i'm glad that opposed to upsetting you i just tickled your sarcasm gene into action...i get it...i did see your initial comment...it doesnt change how i feel about the wallet on the ground distraction...

i put myself in the bad guy position to put a thinking human being in the position instead of the idiot that most replies assume is occupying the position...i grew up in a decent middle class neighborhood adjacent to a rough inner city...my mother worked in city schools and brought less fortunate kids home well into their teens on weekends to enjoy what we could offer that they didnt have...i am not touting myself as an expert but you get a bit more of a feeling for the way desperate people think when you live with them even for short periods of time...their mindset isnt what you imagine it is and its difficult for a good law abiding citizen to wrap their head around how these people think and why...thats where my statement that what you consider reason is a street mistake to them and could do more to increase aggression than satisfy it...

there is more i am hesitant to discuss regarding my past but no differently than anyone else including yourself i am throwing ideas out there in the hope that it will help someone make the right decision when the time comes and understand the possible repercussions of a poor decision...any of which could be my own decision...thats why i tack an explanation on my rebuttle as opposed to simply stating i dont think it will work...
    It's ALL good Sir! I think we can all agree these threads definitely stimulate the thinking hat. I appreciate all scenarios and input/crossfeed that will keep me on my toes and mentally training for the worse while hoping it never occurs. Stay safe Sir!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Feign fear and compliance. "Oh poop, no problem, here's my wallet." Be meek. Give them a dummy wallet with expired/fake cards and a few bucks in it.

Draw and fire while moving to a difficult position to draw fire. Rear of car, down onto road, etc.

* Paper tags are untraceable in VA. YMMV.
    "tactical drama"...they do expect a reaction from you....using the reaction as part of your defense gets you ahead of the curve...in a close quarters situation you are expected to raise your hands when presented with a threat...the act of raising your hands can be a precursor to striking the agressor....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links