Actually happened... would you have complied...?

This is a discussion on Actually happened... would you have complied...? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Authorities say around 9 p.m. Tuesday, they were called to the 1800 block of Main Street East. That's where two people say they were walking ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Actually happened... would you have complied...?

Senior Member Array KiltedTexan's Avatar

Actually happened... would you have complied...?

Authorities say around 9 p.m. Tuesday, they were called to the 1800 block of Main Street East. That's where two people say they were walking in a parking lot when a gold or silver Mitsubishi SUV pulled up. The passenger in the front seat pointed a silver handgun at them and told them to give up their purses/wallets.

After the victims complied, the SUV went east on Main Street.

The passenger with the gun was described as a Hispanic male, clean shaven but possibly balding. He was wearing a sideways red and white cap.

The victims could not get a good look at the driver of the SUV or a person in the back seat area. The SUV's windows were dark tinted, and it had paper tags.

You're asked to call the Police Department if you have any information on this incident.
    XD Service .45 ACP
    XDM .45 ACP Bi-Tone
    Ruger LCR .38 Special +P CT
    Texas CHL
    NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

If it was just me, I might have taken a chance on bolting out of the line of fire and drawing (but not necessarily shooting). They'd have a pretty limited field of fire from a vehicle and action beats reaction. If you are with a group, and people with you aren't as fast, you could get one of your friends killed.

it depends....

If there was cover around I would try getting off the X and getting behind something..him being in a vehicle limits his radius and travel...

I would also try bolting to behind the SUV and drawing...(ducking all the while)

being in an SUV really limits the attacker's options

If you are with a group, and people with you aren't as fast, you could get one of your friends killed.
    if I was with a group I don't want to startle the attacker and get my friends killed either so i'm not sure
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

If there was close cover (read: cover, not concealment) I might try making a run for it and drawing. Mostly it depends on how close the BG is. If he's stupid enough to get within a step of me I'm confident in my ability to disarm him, then draw and go from there.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

"No entiendo, ¿qué estás diciendo?"

Works for them sometimes...

All depends on the situation and how things were laid out, who was with me ect.

I am not fond of letting criminals get away with things, but if there was chance that my child was going to be in jeopardy, then I might comply.

Heaven help the person after I get the tag number and have their faces in my memory though.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Give up the property, protect your life. If they want $$$ they will take it and leave. If they want YOU they will try to force you into the vehicle. When you face being abducted, then is the time to FIGHT but not just for property.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    off the x...draw...ventilate the door and window of the suv...save a couple of rounds for the driver if they decide to participate...if theyre too lazy to get out of the vehicle and become a real threat then they need a little motivational action...

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    off the x...draw...ventilate the door and window of the suv...save a couple of rounds for the driver if they decide to participate...if theyre too lazy to get out of the vehicle and become a real threat then they need a little motivational action...

Classic answer to a perplexing conundrum that really isn't all that perplexing.

Biker

Everybody in the vehicle is engaging in armed robbery,as soon as dipstick with gun drops his guard,I move rearward behind door post and take out rear passenger glass as my round is aimed at BG's head so I can see if any threat in rear seat while I divide my magazine between the threats I can see,then call 911 to bring a bucket and mop
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Circumstances are very important in this situation.
    Movement for its own sake is not always the panacea that people think it is. Without some other factor such as distraction its use has some value, but not as great as perceived by many.

In this situation, you are probably around two to five feet from the main perp and your directions are limited to sideways and rearward or obliquely to the rear. Your forward movement options, which are often the best, are extremely limited if not nil.

Against a good shooter, without another edge, you cannot move fast enough to prevent getting shot. With a distraction, or if the perp loses concentration your odds will improve considerably. Without, they are poor.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    Give up the property, protect your life. If they want $$$ they will take it and leave. If they want YOU they will try to force you into the vehicle. When you face being abducted, then is the time to FIGHT but not just for property.
    This. ^^

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

If I am by myself, the first thought is "how can I gain the upper hand or at least equalize my position?" If I felt I could "GetOffTheX" and achieve tactical superiority, then that would be my move. If, however, that was questionable, then perhaps "backing away from their vehicle, while telling them you can have my wallet, and reaching for my wallet, tossing on the ground several feet away from their vehicle, and if they want it bad enough at that point to have one of them get out, then as they focus on my wallet, I am moving, drawing and firing. IF my family or any member of my family is with me, then that in itself presents a whole new ballgame. At that point I would have to see how things are going to play out as there are tooooo many variables. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    This is not always the case. Happens in the District of Crime all the time. Muggers walk up on unsuspecting victims, demand money at gun/knifepoint, then when the victims completely comply and give up the cash/valuables, they get stuck or shot anyway. It's not always take it and leave vs abduction. Some people are just animals.

NEVER EVER EVER expect the BG to just walk(or in this case drive) away like they claim just because you give them what they demand.

Make no mistake... The moment a gun is pulled on you, you ARE FIGHTING FOR YOUR LIFE. You're not fighting for property once someone pulls a weapon on you.

Edit (added some examples from everywhere):
    Liquor Store Owner Fatally Shot During Robbery in NW|ABC 7 News
    toledoblade.com -- The Blade ~ Toledo Ohio
    Maintenance worker who gave up wallet, car keys is shot anyway
    Pair charged in Saturday's robbery in St. Petersburg

Here's a recent one in rural VA of all places...
    WUSA9.com | Washington, DC | Teen Charged In Culpeper Va. Grocery Shooting
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Get off the X any way I can while keeping person with me safe (this is where TRAINING WITH A PARTNER helps - Learning to move them with you and out of the way), draw and direct fire at the occupied seats through the doors/windows and seek cover. Reload if needed and call 911. At this point the scenario can go either way - They can take off or they can shoot back (unless you fatally hit the BGs in the vehicle or hit one or more bad enough that they CANT fight).

TRAIN for any given scenario as you will default to your training in a high stress situation.

Just my .02
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links