Drop Wallet

This is a discussion on Drop Wallet within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone carry a drop wallet? With the crime rate going up (home invasions, robbery, etc) I figured I would start carrying a drop wallet. How ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drop Wallet

Drop Wallet

Anyone carry a drop wallet? With the crime rate going up (home invasions, robbery, etc) I figured I would start carrying a drop wallet.
    How does everyone set up the wallet that you will hand over to the BG (assuming you do)? I don't want to loose any credit cards or my CCW. Any ideas?
    Where do you carry the non-drop wallet?
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

2. Remove Ads

I'll drop my real wallet and shoot them as they are distracted.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

I actually don't carry a wallet at all. Aside from my EDC defense items, I only carry my DL, CHP, one debit card, a money clip with about $20 in it. Though I do have my old wallet from college (years ago) with meal cards, old Subway cards, and probably a handful of girls' phone numbers and room numbers from a dormitory in Canada that doesn't exist anymore. It's pretty thick. I should probably just start carrying that as my sacrificial goat.

Just to echo what I said on another thread, my wallet has less than $20 cash at all times, I do have a debit and credit card in it, but both are guaranteed against fraud, and I put the phone number of my bank/CC company in my phone for immediate notification. I have a spare DL at home.

If you do carry a drop wallet, make sure to put something in it to make it look real...like old cards you don't need, maybe even a couple bucks of cash...otherwise as soon as they pick it up they might be so pissed off that you tried to trick them that they would get more violent. If you do decide to fight back, having stuff in there may help as a distraction to give you the upper hand.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

VIP Member
    I do, on occasion. It has a handful of low denomination bills, business cards from countries I don't live in anymore, those "bonus" cards that businesses give you, and some random scraps of paper and whatnot.

As much as we all like to think that no BG will ever get the drop on us, it DOES happen. Sometimes compliance is the only legitimate option, at least up to a point. Having something to hand over (even if you only intend it as a distraction) can be helpful.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    Just to echo what I said on another thread, my wallet has less than $20 cash at all times, I do have a debit and credit card in it, but both are guaranteed against fraud, and I put the phone number of my bank/CC company in my phone for immediate notification. I have a spare DL at home.

If you do carry a drop wallet, make sure to put something in it to make it look real...like old cards you don't need, maybe even a couple bucks of cash...otherwise as soon as they pick it up they might be so pissed off that you tried to trick them that they would get more violent. If you do decide to fight back, having stuff in there may help as a distraction to give you the upper hand.

My drop wallet has $7, a picture of my wife and myself, a savings card from a grocery store, and three credit cards with expiration dates in 2012 and 2013. The accounts have been compromised and closed by the card companies.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai View Post
    I actually don't carry a wallet at all. Aside from my EDC defense items, I only carry my DL, CHP, one debit card, a money clip with about $20 in it. Though I do have my old wallet from college (years ago) with meal cards, old Subway cards, and probably a handful of girls' phone numbers and room numbers from a dormitory in Canada that doesn't exist anymore. It's pretty thick. I should probably just start carrying that as my sacrificial goat.
    Can I have those girls' phone numbers? j/k

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I have thought about carrying a drop wallet as well but like I said in another post, I have concerns about the BG having my personal information. I don't have an old driver's license to put in a dummy wallet because to my knowledge, we aren't allowed in Kentucky to keep our old driver's licenses (I asked one time if I could keep mine and was told "no"). With that being said I'm not crazy about the BG having an old CC - so that they could call customer service in an attempt to get my address. I know I may sound a little on the paranoid side but identity theft and stealing or acquiring information pertaining to your identity can be more of a threat than what little cash someone may get off of you in a mugging. Do a brief search on "Social engineering" and look into how a lot of hacking, etc. is done through phone calls placed into call centers and you'll start to see that relying upon a credit card company to not reveal at least some information about you is placing an amount of trust into an unknown person (the customer service agent) that I'm not sure I'm willing to give.

Also from another post, I have thought about placing those fake card board cards (the ones you get in the mail from cc offers) in a dummy wallet just so you'll have something in your drop wallet so that the contents of your wallet may give a legitimate appearance at first glance. To add to authenticity, add some dollar bills.

To answer another one of your questions - how you carry your drop wallet - from what I've read on here before, most people say they carry the drop wallet on their weak side.

Also like stated on here many times before, don't think that complying will guarantee that you will not be assaulted. Always be prepared to take action if the event escalates - and it can do so in a very small increment of time.

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    Also like stated on here many times before, don't think that complying will guarantee that you will not be assaulted. Always be prepared to take action if the event escalates - and it can do so in a very small increment of time.
    +1

The tactic of using a drop wallet when accosted by a potential mugger is no guarantee of safety. But if it doesn't work, it sure makes you look better when police show up after you've had to use force to defend yourself.
    I count myself nowise weaker in war, or grapple of battle, than Grendel himself. --- The Beowulf Epic

Main wallet is a tri fold, thick and uncomfortable to sit on.
    It rides in the right hand velcro flap pocket of the 5.11 vest.
    Decoy wallet contains less than 20 bucks and one credit card, the local bank's I can cancel with a phone call.
    If I have no choice but submit, the drop wallet in the hip pocket goes and I (hopefully) can make Jesse Owens look like a rank amateur as the bad guy goes for the surrendered stash.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

I have never thought about carrying something like a drop wallet, but as someone else mentioned here, I wouldn't want to give the BG anything with my name/address etc., on it.

The credit cards with "apparent good dates" but have been compromised are however clever. When the BG tries to use one, it would be flagged as a stolen card. lol

I may have to consider something like this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

putting in a credit card

What about using one of those pre-paid credit cards. You buy it, but don't put any money on it, or use it down to a balance of a few cents.
    They are supposed to look just like a real card at least at first glance and they wouldn't have any way to trace the card back to you. No name, no personal information on record.

If they want to use it they would have to put the money on it first.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Just remember not to have anything in your "drop wallet" that has your current address.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I don't carry a drop wallet but I have a real wallet in one back pocket and a Kel Tec .32 in a wallet holster in the other. I practice the distract and draw with that of I'm ever too covered to get to the primary.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

With my IWB/SOB holster, reaching for the wallet looks very natural...but it could be very 'unforgiving'.

No drop wallet for me, just SA...whatever happens, happens.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links