Another vehicle approaches quickly and you have no exit. "Seeing the pic explains it" - Page 2

Another vehicle approaches quickly and you have no exit. "Seeing the pic explains it"

This is a discussion on Another vehicle approaches quickly and you have no exit. "Seeing the pic explains it" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I inadvertently trespassed on a property once, and while driving down a road very much like this, a truck come screaming toward me. Two men ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another vehicle approaches quickly and you have no exit. "Seeing the pic explains it"

I inadvertently trespassed on a property once, and while driving down a road very much like this, a truck come screaming toward me. Two men jump out; one with a shotgun and the other with an AR. Point. Set. Match. There's no fancy footwork, cute driving skills, or pistolero feats that will fix that situation. I apologized and explained that I was looking for such-and-such address, and asked if they could point me in the right direction. It turned out that I did have the right driveway but that I needed to make a side turn about 100 yards back into a secondary driveway.

I saw them a couple times after that and even went skeet shooting with them.

I agree with some of the comments that an apology is in order. You are trespassing. I would shift the subject and ask for help. If they don't give it and tell you to beat feet, do what they say. If they want to call the police, well, then you're just going to have to explain to the officer your side of the story. In this scenario, I'm not even thinking about killing a property owner while I'm trespassing on their property.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If I turn onto a private drive thats posted,I stop and either back out or turn around and drive out,to continue driving down a posted road is called trespassing
    My job requires me to drive down these types of roads. I do not always have the luxury of having a cell phone signal so I must trust that the directions they gave to me are correct.

Today I figured I was on the right road but I had no clue. It is never fun to read those signs nor was I informed they would be there. I just knew at the end of the road a house would come into view.

So I take the chance and go down these roads a few times each month. Going down that road only enforced the reason I carry while working.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Backing up is a skill that many people have not mastered. Since I drive ambulances for a living I'm pretty good at using mirrors to back up. Still, I do it in a slow and deliberate manner to avoid making a mistake. If someone is yelling/threatening/chasing it is a recipe for disaster. Better be as meek as possible to dispel their attitude.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I agree that just apologizing is definitely the best route. Unless you stumbled into a drug operation or something the owners will more than likely be reasonable once they know you are geniunely there by mistake.
    I know that if someone were trespassing on my property I would investigate (armed) but if they are calm and explain themselves then no harm no foul.

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm... on second thought..if confronted and I was out in the middle of nowhere...

I would never avert my gaze from the person addressing me. I would smile and try to look unthreatening while easing my .45 out of its holster and press checking it to make sure its operational if things go down. Just is case, I'll also ease out my truck gun, a .40 Sig from underneath the console for a very quick "New York" reload if things go south. I would also reach behind my neck and undo the snap on my knife as one can never be too safe. While doing this, I've already shifted the truck into reverse, and using both mirrors to aid my progress backing out, and going slowly(in case the situation warrants me slamming it into forward and gunning the engine in order to run over the guy confronting me), I would continue on to the main road.

So as to avoid the same error again, I would make a way-point on my GPS to insure that I never turned down that driveway again. It would also serve to warn my wife and two boys that it was an area to be avoided at all costs as one can never be too safe these days.

Or, I might just say," Sorry man, I took a wrong turn",and continue on my way.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

when you see the first sign "No Trespassing" and "Private Property", that is the time to start backing up. then it never gets to the point or yelling.

if you disregard that then "slowly drawing out of my holster" on there property would be a very bad idea and likly to get you shot with no fault on the home owner.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Where I live is pretty close to rural areas and roads such as these. In fact, quite a few of my friends are the owners of said roads.

The first time I ever went to a certain friends house to shoot it was with a group of shooters that had all been there before, and all knew each other - I was the new guy and no one really knew what I was driving.

I got about halfway down the driveway when a pickup darted out of a side road (read: trail) blocking my path. Four guys came out of the truck, two out of the cab, two out of the bed, all carrying their shotguns in hand and pistols (interestingly enough three wheel guns and one 1911) on their waists. For a second I thought "Well that's goodnight for me!" Then I was recognized by the invitee, and all was well.

I've made the mistake of turning down the wrong road and as with the cases in this thread, I was open and honest, and asked for directions. Every time the situation went from tense to almost friendly. (Almost).
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Hmmm... on second thought..if confronted and I was out in the middle of nowhere...

I would never avert my gaze from the person addressing me. I would smile and try to look unthreatening while easing my .45 out of its holster and press checking it to make sure its operational if things go down. Just is case, I'll also ease out my truck gun, a .40 Sig from underneath the console for a very quick "New York" reload if things go south. I would also reach behind my neck and undo the snap on my knife as one can never be too safe. While doing this, I've already shifted the truck into reverse, and using both mirrors to aid my progress backing out, and going slowly(in case the situation warrants me slamming it into forward and gunning the engine in order to run over the guy confronting me), I would continue on to the main road.

So as to avoid the same error again, I would make a way-point on my GPS to insure that I never turned down that driveway again. It would also serve to warn my wife and two boys that it was an area to be avoided at all costs as one can never be too safe these days.

Or, I might just say," Sorry man, I took a wrong turn",and continue on my way.
    Ah yes...the Jack Bauer Method....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

remain calm...apologize profusely and back up slowly
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Why not, doesn't your car/truck have mirrors?

You appoligize and back up or turn around and be on your way.

Glad I have a Jeep, even if I did end up in the ditch you just keep on going.
    Yeah, right. I can't count the number of guys in their I-can-go-anywhere Jeeps I've had to pull out of ditches and mudholes.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I'd apologize for being on their land and turn my way on around if I was trespassing. If that didn't work or if we're just talking some random side road I'd see if I could sneakily draw my firearm, but my first reaction is to use my Jeep with its nice lift kit and 33's and get the heck out of Dodge. I don't need roads to run!
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

With doors locked and windows up I show my hands on the wheel. I yell my apology to them and tell them I am looking for "X" who is supposed to live around here. Then I leave. If they try to enter my vehicle or confront me with deadly force, it breaks loose. I drive a 4x4 F-150 BTW. Yes, I have a traveling companion or two with me always.

VIP Member
    That picture looks like my driveway!

Where I live there is a sign that reads 'End of State maintenance.'. It is at the point that the pavement ENDS! Also at that point is my first 'NO TRESPASSING" sign. At that point anybody can turn around & SHOULD! Once you get past that point it looks like your picture.

The next sign after that is more specific:

NO TRESPASSING! What part of Go Away don't you understand?- goawayfarm

There are then two more signs after that.....

If after passing all four 'no trespassing' signs they deserve what they get! When anybody gets any further than that, they are met with an armed owner!
    Last edited by goawayfarm; July 1st, 2010 at 09:30 PM.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    whats the problem?...the guy comes at you yelling and asking what youre doing on his property...answer him politely...no reason to lie...if he gets violent you just found out that your habit of exploring is no different than walking down a street in the bad section of town at night...if youre someplace you shouldnt be you need to be prepared to react to whatever comes your way...and expect it...

is a property owner coming out with a shotgun any different than the number of guys here who answer a doorbell with a drawn handgun?...yeah...i guess it is...the guy ringing the doorbell isnt doing anything wrong and is looking to speak with someone...just driving on somebodies property for fun is a bit less appealing legally and may result in less than desireable reactions...

I see alot of "No tresspassing" and "Private Property" signs. However sometimes they are misleading. I see them stapled to trees along the sides of a road... this means those woods are private property not the road. So it would depend how these are posted. Not sure what the OP meant but this is what i pictured. And this logic nullifies the "as soon as i see this sign i back up" logic.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links