Another vehicle approaches quickly and you have no exit. "Seeing the pic explains it" - Page 3

Another vehicle approaches quickly and you have no exit. "Seeing the pic explains it"

This is a discussion on Another vehicle approaches quickly and you have no exit. "Seeing the pic explains it" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIGguy229 Ah yes...the Jack Bauer Method.... if i saw that much motion going on in the car i would probably shoot if ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another vehicle approaches quickly and you have no exit. "Seeing the pic explains it"

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Ah yes...the Jack Bauer Method....
    if i saw that much motion going on in the car i would probably shoot if i were the property owner....

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If I turn onto a private drive thats posted,I stop and either back out or turn around and drive out,to continue driving down a posted road is called trespassing
    Exactly. In Texas it is smart to heed these signs. Unless a person is LEO or has legitimate authority to travel the road.

I went with a friend to deliver parts to a remote radio signal carrier site. What a trip, we passed through several land locked private properties each with no trespassing signs and gates. At one ranch the rule was to stop at the main house and notify them of what we were doing. We were challenged a couple times but always politely let through. Guess the landowners signed a restricted right of way at some time.

The point is I never thought about land locked properties where the only access is through other properties. It was a kick going up a 8- 10' wide dirt trail on the side of a mountain with a loooong drop off. A couple times there was no dirt between the outside of my door and the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I say..."sorry man, I took a wrong turn".

Then I back up until I am no longer on their property.

Then I leave.

Yeah, this is the only response, as far as I can see.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

In my part of Arkansas we have a lot of those type of roads, some of which are actually county roads, because if a family with kids live down it and a school bus has to go down that road, then the county does some maintanence on it. They might also have a county road sign but it may still deadend at a house. I can back up pretty good and pretty fast with just the rear view mirror in the cab of my truck, so I don't have to look to far away from a possible threat. Also, we have a version of the castle law, but it only applies to your house and not your property.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Yeah, right. I can't count the number of guys in their I-can-go-anywhere Jeeps I've had to pull out of ditches and mudholes.
    What photo were you looking at? Anything in the photo that the OP posted indicate that any modest vehicle would get stuck. I see no mudholes or steep ditch.

BTW, there are places I go that if you don't have a Jeep your not going to get there. Well maybe if you have a 4 wheeler or a home built off roader. Long wheel bases just suck on rocks and trails with tight turns.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    Exactly. In Texas it is smart to heed these signs. Unless a person is LEO or has legitimate authority to travel the road.
    I think that should be:

"Unless a person is LEO & has legitimate authority to travel the road."
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I have a long driveway, looks about like your photo. There are 'Private Property/No trespassing' signs.

Sometimes people come down my driveway when I'm not expecting anyone, and I go to see what the story is.

There are four categories they fall into.

1. They are looking for some other nearby place, made a wrong turn, and ended up at my place. These folks either ask if they're in the right place, or else they tell me they somehow messed up and ask for directions to the right place. Sometimes they're frustrated, but they are without exception polite and apologetic, and they never, ever draw a weapon. No worries, no problem.

2. They're looking for my place, but I wasn't expecting them for some reason. These folks I recognize, either by sight or when they explain why they're there. No worries, no problem.

3. They're looking for a place to make trouble. Not good.

4. They're looking for a place to make trouble, and they think they've just found it. Really bad.

If you come down my driveway, see me coming, and draw a gun, my conclusion is that you're in category 4 and that ability, opportunity, and jeopardy are all present. In that case, don't be surprised if, very suddenly, I do something to eliminate the threat, and what I do to eliminate the threat means that it seriously sucks to be you.

I suggest that if you screw up, drive past no trespassing signs, and are confronted, that you do everything you can to make sure the property owner decides you're in category 1. Be polite, be sincerely apologetic, be obviously non-threatening, answer questions honestly and without evasion, and ask for help/directions. If you are searching for some nearby place, mention the name, give your name, say if you're expected, and expect that the landowner will call that neighbor on his/her cell phone to confirm your story.

Anything else (aggression, shouting, evasion or dishonesty, etc.) puts you either in category 3 or 4. Drawing a weapon, ANY weapon, instantly puts you in category 4.

You don't want to be in category 4.

Thanks for all the replies. It was nice to read the responses from those that do live down roads that are posted.

That is why I love this place. You can post a simple question and get awesome answers.

Senior Moderator
    When I saw that picture, I thought you'd been driving around here in the Ozarks. At least half of the roads in Arkansas look like that.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Ya know, I used to enjoy going down backroads too... If I saw a sign like go away farms.. I'd leave. There was somebody else here on DC that had very detailed NoTrespassing signs... and took video of you looking at the sign to justify his shoot to kill any unwelcome person on his property mentality.

Even unmaintained roads are public roads in this state... If the road dead ends, the state marks it with DEAD END signs... If the road continues past the "dead end" onto private property, there is usually a sign that says "entering private property" and then the usual no trespassing signs.

I do not intentionally drive onto POSTED private property unless I am lost or otherwise stranded (snow, 2 flat tires, engine quit, etc.) . And, I would hope that the property owner would be understanding, and render some aid in those situations.

As RE the OP, I would back down the road as carefully as I could... Yelling apologies if needed all the way... If I was being threatened, rammed, by the other vehicle, I would be on 911, speaker phone, all the way... I am technically in the wrong... being on private property... but I am doing everything I can to get off of it in a safe and expedient manner... And if the only witness to my death is 911, so be it... And I would not go out without having fired a defensive shot of my own... and 911 would know it.

But I try to stay out of private marijuana patches, meth labs, still operations, and other heavily posted properties like that out in the country, in the deep woods.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Ya know, I used to enjoy going down backroads too... If I saw a sign like go away farms.. I'd leave. There was somebody else here on DC that had very detailed NoTrespassing signs... and took video of you looking at the sign to justify his shoot to kill any unwelcome person on his property mentality.

Even unmaintained roads are public roads in this state... If the road dead ends, the state marks it with DEAD END signs... If the road continues past the "dead end" onto private property, there is usually a sign that says "entering private property" and then the usual no trespassing signs.

I do not intentionally drive onto POSTED private property unless I am lost or otherwise stranded (snow, 2 flat tires, engine quit, etc.) . And, I would hope that the property owner would be understanding, and render some aid in those situations.

As RE the OP, I would back down the road as carefully as I could... Yelling apologies if needed all the way... If I was being threatened, rammed, by the other vehicle, I would be on 911, speaker phone, all the way... I am technically in the wrong... being on private property... but I am doing everything I can to get off of it in a safe and expedient manner... And if the only witness to my death is 911, so be it... And I would not go out without having fired a defensive shot of my own... and 911 would know it.

But I try to stay out of private marijuana patches, meth labs, still operations, and other heavily posted properties like that out in the country, in the deep woods.
    I thought about calling 911 as well (assuming you had a signal) if an altercation came about. I wouldn't do anything to provoke an attack but I would defend myself and I might get killed doing so but 911 would have a record of what happened and the police I'm sure would investigate that matter. A lot of this scenario depends on details. I don't ever trespass on purpose so if I was on someone's property it would be out of a real need or out of pure ignorance. If I was broke down I would rather call for help on my cell phone and sit in the car while waiting than to go to someone's house - I believe that is the safest thing to do. If it was winter and my car wouldn't run, however, I would attempt to go to someone's house so that I wouldn't freeze to death - surely no one would begrudge anyone for doing that.

I'm sure all states' laws are different but to my understanding - in Kentucky you are not justified shooting someone for trespassing alone. I'm not sure how accurate this is so please don't jump down my throat if this is wrong - the way it was explained to me from the gentleman that sold me my gun is that if a guy was in my driveway burning my car down, I would not be justified in shooting him but if they were outside trying to burn down one of my buildings or my house, I could shoot to kill. I've also heard that in KY if someone is breaking in on you, they had better be in the house before you shoot them. I've heard smart comments before that say for you to shoot them and then drag them into the house which is absurd - like the LEO wouldn't see the blood trail leading from the front porch into the house.

One question for the 911 callers. If you don't know where you are what good is messing with 911 before you're in the clear?

You can't tell them what road your on, or give them enough information to be helpful at that point for the amount of concentration it takes to talk to the operator. Even if you can somehow give them an idea, more than likely a deputy is too far away to do you any good for quite some time.

911 would only be called after I was well away from the area. My focus would be on the other guy and backing up or getting the heck out of there as quickly as possible.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

I would say 90% of the time I'm on a road such as the one I posted I do not have a cell signal so 911 is not an option.

Thankfully I have not been confronted as I have gone down the wrong road more than once and most people in rural parts of Maine are easy going people.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    One question for the 911 callers. If you don't know where you are what good is messing with 911 before you're in the clear?

You can't tell them what road your on, or give them enough information to be helpful at that point for the amount of concentration it takes to talk to the operator. Even if you can somehow give them an idea, more than likely a deputy is too far away to do you any good for quite some time.

911 would only be called after I was well away from the area. My focus would be on the other guy and backing up or getting the heck out of there as quickly as possible.
    I could be dead wrong about this but it is to my understanding that 911 could track the call and locate you. I haven't looked into it lately but I remember that they were talking about developing this ability back in 2000 just the same that I believe you don't have to be able to tell OnStar where you are at if you have an accident - and they send police/ambulance, etc. If they can track the call if you call 911, it probably won't save your life if you are involved in an altercation but it may prevent someone from rubbing you out and burying you in the woods where no one is to the wiser. I know that may not be much consolation but I like to think I gave someone a little grief after they murdered me. :-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links