Another vehicle approaches quickly and you have no exit. "Seeing the pic explains it" - Page 4

Another vehicle approaches quickly and you have no exit. "Seeing the pic explains it"

This is a discussion on Another vehicle approaches quickly and you have no exit. "Seeing the pic explains it" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To quote Patric Swazee, "Be polite. Be polite until it is time to not be polite" An apology should suffice. Also, asking for directions now ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Another vehicle approaches quickly and you have no exit. "Seeing the pic explains it"

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    To quote Patric Swazee, "Be polite. Be polite until it is time to not be polite"

An apology should suffice. Also, asking for directions now allows the agitated property owner to maintain the upper hand and percieved control of the situation without having to continue with the outward agressiveness, thus saving face without backing down.

You may have no choice but to defend yourself, but attacking this person should be the last thing on your mind seeing as you are unlawfully on his property.

I hate to sound like my mother, but you truly do get more flies with honey...
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

most cel phones today are GPS enabled... Usually, when you are calling 911 they ask for name and location... if location is not known, they can (I don't know how long it takes) locate the phone by GPS... they, at the very least, can determine cel tower proximity... I'm not saying that 911 is gonna have the local gendarmerie there to help you in time... but it does at least give me a witness...

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    most cel phones today are GPS enabled... Usually, when you are calling 911 they ask for name and location... if location is not known, they can (I don't know how long it takes) locate the phone by GPS... they, at the very least, can determine cel tower proximity... I'm not saying that 911 is gonna have the local gendarmerie there to help you in time... but it does at least give me a witness...
    I can disable GPS tracking on my phone but as I said before. When you do not have a signal it does not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    I could be dead wrong about this but it is to my understanding that 911 could track the call and locate you. I haven't looked into it lately but I remember that they were talking about developing this ability back in 2000 just the same that I believe you don't have to be able to tell OnStar where you are at if you have an accident - and they send police/ambulance, etc. If they can track the call if you call 911, it probably won't save your life if you are involved in an altercation but it may prevent someone from rubbing you out and burying you in the woods where no one is to the wiser. I know that may not be much consolation but I like to think I gave someone a little grief after they murdered me. :-)
    Onstar works off of satellite, that is why when you go in a tunnel or under heavy foliage, or behind tall buildings you loose signal.

No typical cell phone services that I know use satellite for service, they use towers. Yes they can triangulate and find approximate area if you have good signal but in the boonies, most likely your going to have 1 tower at best.

I am not discounting 911 calls, but where the OP suggested you might be, 911 would be an afterthought in my book.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Yeah, right. I can't count the number of guys in their I-can-go-anywhere Jeeps I've had to pull out of ditches and mudholes.
    +1.No ditches or mudholes, but ask me about snow or the beach,..

Anyway, I'm in WVA(leaving for home tomorrow), so we're staying off a road like that, only worse as its rocks and you have to go up a very steep hill. I don't like it, theres three houses, and its hard to see if a car is approaching in the same direction. Luckily two of the three houses are rented by my family. That being said, I wouldn't get as far as passing the "no trespassing" and "private property" signs, as soon as I could make them out I'd back up. If I could just see them and someone approached in that manner, I'd probable point out this fact, and inform them I'm lost,and sorry and start backing up without allowing them the chance to further converse. Unfortunately if I'm in R, and their in D, then they could easily jump in their vehicle and catch up to me.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    I can disable GPS tracking on my phone but as I said before. When you do not have a signal it does not matter.
    As a safety precaution, you might want to make it a point to let someone know about the general vicinity where you are going to be that day. I know by the time someone might start to look for you, it could be too late to help but you never know.

For the most part, however, I believe most people will be reasonable as long as you show that you are sincere in your apology and they know you made an honest mistake.

9-1-1 may not be able to help you.

The wireless technology that is used to frequently in TV is a dream in most jurisdictions. 9-1-1 equipment in my city gives you the tower address, and on phase 2 enabled cell phones you can triangulate to get a better location, but there is still an uncertainty factor that is pretty significant.

As far as GPS enabled phones, our lovely lawyer society has cell phone companies requiring signed affidavits to be faxed to wireless companies explaining why the police have a life-or-death emergency that requires the cell phone company to release GPS information. Without an actual life-or-death emergency, then they also require an affidavit from the cell phone customer authorizing release of the information.
    "I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." ~Will Rogers

What I would do...

Keep the doors locked and the windows up except for a crack so they can hear you. Put the car in reverse just in case you need to increase distance. Smile real big, leaving one hand on the steering wheel and holding the other up in a wave, often received as a gesture of greeting and surrender. Your every action should be transmitting, "I am not a threat, I am stupid and lost."

"Man am I lost, how do I get out of here?"

My firearm is accessible if I need it, and the car is in reverse to help me exit the kill zone or at least increase distance. Unless you have driven into someone's marijuana field or meth lab you're not likely to have much trouble.
    "I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." ~Will Rogers

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    The LEOs can indeed 'find' you in an emergency. The cut off feature is to disable non-emergency tracking.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Many moons ago I was riding in a buddy's jeep (top and doors off) after dark when we were on a road similar to the one above. We rounded a turn and there were numerous guys in black with dogs and shotguns. Before we knew what was going on, two guys came out of the brush at the sides of the jeep and stuck shotguns in our faces and said, "Get the blankedy blank out of here NOW!" We said, "Yes sir, getting out right now!" and we had to go in reverse for about 400 yards before we could turn around. Both of us had handguns in the jeep, but we weren't about to even think about it. We had no idea what the deal was and didn't hang around to find out.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links