Another vehicle approaches quickly and you have no exit. "Seeing the pic explains it"

Another vehicle approaches quickly and you have no exit. "Seeing the pic explains it"

This is a discussion on Another vehicle approaches quickly and you have no exit. "Seeing the pic explains it" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The picture below was taken by me. I took it from behind the wheel today but it made me think. I can happen down the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Another vehicle approaches quickly and you have no exit. "Seeing the pic explains it"

The picture below was taken by me. I took it from behind the wheel today but it made me think. I can happen down the wrong road with ease. As I traveled down this road there where many signs posted that read. No Trespassing and Private Property. So this is what I ask of folks.

Another vehicle approaches quickly and you have no exit. Can't turn around, can't back up quickly either. They exit yelling and screaming what are you doing on my property. You have no clue if they are armed but they are very upset that you are on their property and continue to advance towards your vehicle.

How do you react?

EDIT: I did not happen down the wrong road today but the ride down it made me think.

I'll stay in my vehicle and start slowly backing up while keeping a close eye on the aggressor. If he does anything that requires him being shot, then so be it. Bang.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBXMan View Post
    I'll stay in my vehicle and start slowly backing up while keeping a close eye on the aggressor. If he does anything that requires him being shot, then so be it. Bang.
    Really ???? How long will you be in????

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

It would look pretty bad shooting someone while your trespassing on their property.

I believe that I would first apologize while making a hasty reverse back outa there.

Senior Moderator
    I say..."sorry man, I took a wrong turn".

Then I back up until I am no longer on their property.

Then I leave.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

haven't had that happen to me yet but my dad and I like to find back roads and see where they go when we're out on vacation. We followed one road up and down the mountain side and eventually came onto someone's property. Guess the owner didn't like us being there he came out the door holding a shotgun and asking us what we were doing. We apologized and said we were just exploring and we'd gladly turn around and get off his land. Told us not to turn around in his yard because he didn't want us ruining his grass..haha...

be polite apologize if you're on their property they have every right to be mad, wouldn't you? avoid violence @ all costs but if it comes well fight to stay alive simple as that for me

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Wonderful scenario. This is tough either way because if you proceed like CBXMan says (which I actually think is a good way to proceed) then it can be perceived as you being passive aggressive because you have not made your intentions known when you were being clearly addressed. For some people that would tick them off as much or more than your actual trespassing, etc.

Regardless of how you respond, I think the key is to remain calm. Don't allow someone yelling at you throw you off and respond with yelling back at them - for the most part that will probably only worsen the situation. I think for the most part, people aren't looking for trouble and if you remain calm and show non-aggressive body language and calmly apologize and explain that you got off track and it wasn't your intention to trespass then most people will graciously let you off the hook for your error even though they're not real happy with you.

As with most matters, I think communication is the key to preventing a lot of conflicts - that's not to say that you won't run into people that are unreasonable or people that are jumping at the chance to assault someone. With that being said, you want to be prepared for something bad but don't be so prepared that you actually bring it about because you brought your weapon out too early, etc. Also, I wouldn't hang around all day trying to explain myself, especially if it doesn't seem to be appeasing them, etc. There are some people that are actually embolden from someone apologizing because they see it as a sign of weakness. Don't increase passivity if it is bringing about undesired consequences.

Like most situations, a lot of it depends on a variety of factors. Human behavior is very hard to predict and it is perhaps one of the most difficult variables in any situation.

I'll be curious as to the other responses you get with your post because I'd like to see what some people will recommend as far as SD tactics are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by CBXMan View Post
    You could not have backed up this road without taking your eyes off of them. If you attempted to do so you would have ended up in a ditch.

I hate hate hate hate driving down roads like that. I sometimes have to deliver pizzas down PAVED roads that are no better than your pic - and accidentally tresspassing is the least of my concerns. I've also had to back down driveways that were half a mile long --- in the dark! Because the idot that lived there parked in the only turn-around spot. Talk about feeling trapped!
    I suggest that practice your skills at driving in reverse using the mirror.

(although, it's really easy to use the "sorry I'm lost, could ya point me in the direction of _____ " when you have a pizza sign on top of your truck, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    You could not have backed up this road without taking your eyes off of them. If you attempted to do so you would have ended up in a ditch.
    Why not, doesn't your car/truck have mirrors?

You appoligize and back up or turn around and be on your way.

Glad I have a Jeep, even if I did end up in the ditch you just keep on going.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I can back up faster than they can run along side my car...after that, all bets are off.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Why not, doesn't your car/truck have mirrors?
    He stated he would keep an eye on the aggressor as he backed up slowly. At some point in time he will have to break eye contact to correct his vehicle position.

On that road the aggressor could easily keep up on foot.

Apologize, explain how you didn't realize it and it was a mistake, and then ask for their help getting back on track to where you were going. Believe it or not, studies show asking for help.... changes the subjects mindset from confrontive to being assistive.

I love roads like that and are down there a lot. In one area, you could easily get "shot" if you go down the right one ... which I have... and ended up making some good friends as a result .... when intially they were pointing a rifle at me ordering me to "get out of here". I would NOT ever pull on them, that would end up with a long prison sentence and be wrong on many levels.

It's all in how you react. They have a right to be ticked if you are on their property and especially if it were posted. You are the one who's in the wrong at that point, not them for confronting you. They are just 'justifiably' confronting you ... if you get off their property they'll be happy.

If someone is on our farm, and they aren't known to me.... you can bet 1) I will check them out, 2) I will be armed. I've had idiots shoot at me .... found they were there hunting illegally ..... and I started staying armed as a result and will shoot back. But, I no longer just carry a handgun, I carry either my 30-30, 30-06, or AR for my protection.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

If I turn onto a private drive thats posted,I stop and either back out or turn around and drive out,to continue driving down a posted road is called trespassing
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Apologize, explain how you didn't realize it and it was a mistake, and then ask for their help getting back on track to where you were going. Believe it or not, studies show asking for help.... changes the subjects mindset from confrontive to being assistive.

Great comment...I like this a lot. It makes sense and after I read this I immediately imagined this taking place and can see how it turns the whole situation around. Great post!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links