A bit of a freak-out at Wally World

This is a discussion on A bit of a freak-out at Wally World within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I found myself at the local Wally World a few weeks back, purchasing the last of my supplies for my big trip to D-Day. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

So I found myself at the local Wally World a few weeks back, purchasing the last of my supplies for my big trip to D-Day. I'm sure some of you know it; the massive, week-long paintball event in Northeastern Oklahoma. Anyhow, I was there purchasing tent stakes, foodstuffs, batteries etc.

My parents are also with me as they were doing some grocery shopping of their own. We came out of the frozen foods section, more or less finished with our shopping and saw a guy I thought and hoped I'd never see again in my life. We'll call him John. Stay with me here, I feel like the background story is very relevant.

Now John is one of the few people in my life to ever truly frighten me. Back in high school (grad. of '06) he was the goth/satanist (yes seriously) type. There was a good bit of drama between he and his girlfriend, who happened to be a friend of me and several of my friends. We didn't know what she saw in him, but it wasn't our place to judge. To make a long story short, the guy did/said some thing to her that seriously ticked my friends and I off, then one day walked up to us in the lunchroom while she was there talking to us.

He raised his voice and started making unnecessary comments and veiled threats. Several of us guys stood up and stared him down. he dropped his bag on the ground and threw his arms out like he wanted a fight. We backed him down and he took off. Within a week she was back with him and we were all dumbfounded. Then one day she doesn't show up to school. A few days later we find out he's shot her in the face. Now I don't know what he shot her with, but she was lucky, if you can call it that. She lost an eye and had to have part of the bone structure reconstructed. He was sent to juvie.

I'm not sure exactly how long he was in JD, or how he managed to get tried as a juvenile to begin with. But here's John, creepy as ever, *working* at my local Wal-Mart.

I'm not going to say I necessarily went into "condition orange", but man it made me glad I have a secret that nobody at that store knows about.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

wow.... how long ago was this? I would not want to be anywhere near this kid
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

The shooting was back in high school. I saw him at WW last month.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I mean when were you in HS?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    "Back in high school (grad. of '06)"
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Wow...I need glasses...I bet this guy is still as nuts as ever :/
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Scary deal, our justice system fails again.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Is she still with him?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Negative, thankfully. It took an act of serious violence but she wised up.

The whole thing not only made us think about what could have happened when we stood up to him that one day, but really hit home with me that dangerous people walk amongst us. I always knew they did, but it's a bit more of a somber realization when it's someone you know.
    My blog

Did he see you? That scares me silly to think that someone could literally shoot someone in the face and be walking the streets a few years later.

Why is it that most of the stories that remind me to carry ALWAYS happen at WW?

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Negative, thankfully. It took an act of serious violence but she wised up.
    To be honest about it, I'm very sorry for what your friend went through. However, she didn't wise up. She was maimed for life. She had a violent awakening. She was forced out of her shell by a violent, evil scumbag. She is an example of what all of us strive never to become, except she learned the hard way. Unfortunately we can't make decisions for other people.

That kid should be in jail till he's atleast 30. How is he out walking around right now? FAIL justice system.

If he was really into all that satanic garbage, his attorney probably played the mental illness card and had his sentence reduced dramatically.

He saw me but I don't know that he recognized me. He didn't seem to pay any attention to me at all. I'll still be shopping there, just always aware.
    My blog

I would hazard a guess that WW does not know of his past history or they would not have hired him. They would not want to try and defend a lawsuit for an employee who harms one of their customers. Especially since it would be public record and showing they did not do a proper check of his employment records or a probable statement of felony convictions.

specially since it would be public record and showing they did not do a proper check of his employment records or a probable statement of felony convictions.
    He was a juvenile...probably sealed or expunged
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Now that is one of the reasons....

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Scary deal, our justice system fails again.

I carry. The justice system fails all the time.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links