Who travels with a "big" gun? - Page 2

Who travels with a "big" gun?

This is a discussion on Who travels with a "big" gun? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My EDC is my P229/.40 Road trips: I add my P226/.40 as my car gun (for Household-6) with my Kahr MK9 as a BUG...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who travels with a "big" gun?

My EDC is my P229/.40

Road trips: I add my P226/.40 as my car gun (for Household-6) with my Kahr MK9 as a BUG
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    I travel with the same set up as at home. I do usually pack extra ammo "just in case goblins come over the hill" though.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

When I read the title, I was thinking "Big Caliber". Then upon reading...my daily carry is big compared to the OP.

Before I started CC, I took my .44 mag with me on road trips. The only time the long guns went with me were on trips to my cabin, and that was just so I could shoot. Never thought of more frequent long gun carry. I suppose my Kel-Tec Sub 2000 would be a good one to transport. Compact and decent effective range for a handgun round.

I don't own any assault rifles. I have a Mosin and a PSL. If I am going to be shooting at range, then it is going to be slow aimed shots, with decent followup time (not with the Mosin). Even if it were a close in encounter, I know the difference between cover and concealment and what my handgun rounds will penetrate, and am not deterred by a known threat behind a car, other than brick wall, or most trash cans baring a dumpster...in which case I am skipping rounds underneath to motivate the BG into a better position for a stop shot. But if they are that deep in cover, then I am working my arse off on vacating the area ASAP.

As a civilian, I can not imagine ever having to engage in a shootout with anyone/thing at range (50m+). If I do, then the civil reset button has been pushed, anarchy is in full swing and it is every person for themselves, in which case I am loaded up with as much as I can carry and am heading for remote mountain areas.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    So the wife and I are going on a small road trip to some friends house this weekend. Ever since warm weather hit, I have been carrying my M&P 340 in a pocket as my primary, due to the fact that it is so much cooler and more comfy.

That being said, I plan to mount up and strap on the G23 in the HBE Com III tomorrow for the 4 hr haul. I feel much more proficient with it, and able to handle a situation should it arise on the road, with this "big" gun. Will carry my 340 along for the ride also and probably use it while going out on short trips during the stay, as my friend will also be packing and have my back. Anybody else think this way?
    my G19 is my everyday gun...and is the same size as the G23..so I guess my answer is yes, I always travel with a big gun :D
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Well the wifey says it's over kill, but I have the 40 cal on my hip the Glock 20 in my console, and my judge in the door. I like to be prepared.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Ha, when you said big gun I thought you meant BIG gun. My EDC is my S&W M&P .40c. I feel like I'm pretty proficient with it and always have 19 rounds on me (9+1 and a spare mag). If I was ever taking a long trip within the state to somewhere I felt unsafe - and I had to go - I've got my Remington 870 Express. I don't know about other states, but my OK license to carry actually allows me to keep a shotgun or rifle in my vehicle, magazine-loaded and not chambered.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

The ride isn't so great... but preparedness has it's cost... sigh

Cool

My Glock 23 is my every day off duty carry. In my trunk is a Remington 870. Maglight, pepper spray and ASP baton on in the drivers side door. Better to have and not need than need and not have.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    when I leave on a road trip more than 20 miles from home, I have my trusty g29 and a couple 15 rounders ( which is normal anyway) my .357 j frame pocket carry and an ak in my trunk with 8 30 rounders. God Bless AZ
    I went on night ambushes in Vietnam, for 2 years, with less than that.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    My Kel-Tec PLR16 isn't really "big" but it stows easy and carries half a dozen 30 rnd. mags. of hollow points. .223 seems to be available everywhere these days. All this fits in a small backpack which I can sling on one shoulder and fire without removing from the pack.

I don't usually change what I carry when I am away from home. I rotate 3 when at home, but when traveling only take 2. I will carry extra ammo for the just in case when traveling but that is it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I usually carry my full-size H&K USP .40 for fall/cold weather carry. But if I use a rig, say a fannypack or some other rig that can conceal either one of my 2 guns (my other gun is the much smaller S&W Model 457 .45) and I am going out at night or working in my own yard regardless of the season or climate, I would prefer my USP, which is not only fairly large, but also have some decent firepower (13+1 rds.).

I only have one pistol so far so it's what I carry at every appropriate opportunity, a government size 1911 at 4:30 and a 8-rounder reload at 8 o'clock in a nylon magpouch.

Para Ord P12 .45 24/7/365. South TX. Dress around the gun and I don't have to worry about carrying something unfamiliar simply because I am traveling.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Along with my usual concealed pistol, I usually add something in a full size with a double stack magazine, and plenty of spares.
    Last edited by obxned; July 3rd, 2010 at 02:57 PM.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links