Who travels with a "big" gun? - Page 3

Who travels with a "big" gun?

This is a discussion on Who travels with a "big" gun? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 90% of the time or more, I'm carrying a 1911 or a SIG P-220! The S&W 340 is my Sunday go to Meetin' carry or ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who travels with a "big" gun?

VIP Member
    90% of the time or more, I'm carrying a 1911 or a SIG P-220! The S&W 340 is my Sunday go to Meetin' carry or my BUG.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    So the wife and I are going on a small road trip to some friends house this weekend. Ever since warm weather hit, I have been carrying my M&P 340 in a pocket as my primary, due to the fact that it is so much cooler and more comfy.

That being said, I plan to mount up and strap on the G23 in the HBE Com III tomorrow for the 4 hr haul. I feel much more proficient with it, and able to handle a situation should it arise on the road, with this "big" gun. Will carry my 340 along for the ride also and probably use it while going out on short trips during the stay, as my friend will also be packing and have my back. Anybody else think this way?
    I always have more than one when traveling. The big one for the car and hotel and the 1911 on me.

Traveling... double barrel shotgun gets added to the cache.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    My Glock 23 is my every day off duty carry. In my trunk is a Remington 870. Maglight, pepper spray and ASP baton on in the drivers side door. Better to have and not need than need and not have.
    I have both guns as well and am always saying; "Better to have and not need than need and not have."

I guess that makes me Old School too?

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    My wife says that I'm being ridiculous when I mount one of these to our vehicle for a trip and use the sun roof with a stool to sit and watch at gas stations or rest areas. I just don't get her and can't figure out what all the fuss is about. This is the biggest gun I travel with.
    Attached Images
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I just carry what I always carry, which is a 1911. I'll also throw in a BUG and a couple extra magazines of ammo as well.
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

I carry a full size 1911 and on occasion when it's raining or very humid, I'll carry a 226 or 229.

Now, I usually keep an AR in the trunk but lately been throwing the SCAR in there. My buddy keeps a PS90 or a KRISS, both SBR'd, in his truck. These are great size guns and the KRISS with the folding stock will fit in any bag. Good to have!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I pack the same, in the yard or on a road trip. You never know when it happens.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Well obviously the 23 is not a BIG gun, in the literal sense, but it is bigger than my snubbie I am using for summer duty. That was why I called it a BIG gun. It is my EDC, when not 90plus degrees and high humidity.

The main question is who changes their tactics, and equipment when they travel based on what they were/are EDC'ing at that particular time. Sorry if I confused anybody.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I don't see the point in taking anything bigger than I normally carry just because I'm going on a trip. Just carry my normal, LCR or Kahr CW9 or PM9. I may even be eventually pocket carrying an LCP.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

In that case, I carry a Commander 1911 daily. I don't really change size, but will change guns due to the heat and humidity. I've very recently started carrying one of my Sigs when it's too humid out. Not that my 1911's won't handle it, but right now my Perma Koted Nighthawk is getting some work done, my Diamond Black nighthawk isn't here yet and my stainless VBOB shows rust after being out all day in the humidity. It's getting finished in hard Hat or IonBond when the Nighthawk comes back.

When I'm traveling, I carry my 1911, but keep the 226 with the x300 light on it in the center console. That way it's there for my wife if I go into a store, for example, and I'll take my 1911 off while driving for long periods and put it the side of the door.

So, in that sense, I add another gun to the mix. As for a bigger gun, I used to take the HK USP Tactical 45 with me. i never carried it, but brought it along in the center console with a light, ready to go.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    I have both guns as well and am always saying; "Better to have and not need than need and not have."

I guess that makes me Old School too?
    And that ain't so bad !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

jon
    If I'm going camping, my Glock 30 and Mossberg 500 go with me.

I'm not in the war anymore.
    I carry a S&W 357 magnum J-frame for protection That's gonna get the job done anywhere I go and it goes with me all the time.
    I looking for something smaller for the wife to carry now too.
    Any ladies have suggestions for her?
    SSG US Army (RET)

I'm always carrying either my PT1911 or G23. So, I guess if you call those big guns, then yes, I travel with 'em.

I always have 2 extra mags available, regardless.

I'm in the market for an AK. When I obtain one, there will be times when I take it with me.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links