Who travels with a "big" gun? - Page 4

Who travels with a "big" gun?

This is a discussion on Who travels with a "big" gun? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can't take the shotgun this weekend, since I haven't found a decent low-pro case. Instead I'll have a S&W 4" Model 65. I have 56 ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who travels with a "big" gun?

Can't take the shotgun this weekend, since I haven't found a decent low-pro case. Instead I'll have a S&W 4" Model 65. I have 56 rounds of .357 158gr JSP along. That plus my XD9 for class and I'm well set.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Quote Originally Posted by runningwater View Post
    I'm not in the war anymore.
    I carry a S&W 357 magnum J-frame for protection That's gonna get the job done anywhere I go and it goes with me all the time.
    I looking for something smaller for the wife to carry now too.
    Any ladies have suggestions for her?
    How about an old .38 special S&W Model 60. Weighs about 20 oz so absorbs some of the recoil. If not that, then what about a Kahr PM9, P380, or Ruger LCP.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    And that ain't so bad !
    Amen Brother!

On longer trips (road trips, for example), I always have my Kimber Custom TLE II along for the ride.
    Nothing unreal exists

I have carried a Colt Python or a 5" 1911. But the usual are smaller: Colt Detective or Colt Cobra .38 - or a Glock 36 (single stack .45 acp). Just easier.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    So the wife and I are going on a small road trip to some friends house this weekend. Ever since warm weather hit, I have been carrying my M&P 340 in a pocket as my primary, due to the fact that it is so much cooler and more comfy.

That being said, I plan to mount up and strap on the G23 in the HBE Com III tomorrow for the 4 hr haul. I feel much more proficient with it, and able to handle a situation should it arise on the road, with this "big" gun. Will carry my 340 along for the ride also and probably use it while going out on short trips during the stay, as my friend will also be packing and have my back. Anybody else think this way?
    I went to the beach (campground setting) for a week recently and took my S&W 442 for most of my carrying in shorts but also took my XD40sc and carried it while driving to and from, night stand, and when we went out. I usually take two on trips to fit various carry needs and situations. Whichever one I wasn't carrying, I locked in my truck safe. Seems like a very reasonable approach to me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Took my RRA LAR-15 rifle yesterday morning with me for some plinking at the outdoor range in Pungo. Even had it slunged across my body while wearing my magazine vest during my range session there. Other than that, it remains at home.

reply to tkruf

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    How about an old .38 special S&W Model 60. Weighs about 20 oz so absorbs some of the recoil. If not that, then what about a Kahr PM9, P380, or Ruger LCP.
    I'm gonna check out the Ruger LCP for her or maybe a Berreta
    The Ruger looks interesting on-line
    SSG US Army (RET)

Seperated at Birth?

So the wife and I are going on a small road trip to some friends house this weekend. Ever since warm weather hit, I have been carrying my M&P 340 in a pocket as my primary, due to the fact that it is so much cooler and more comfy.

That being said, I plan to mount up and strap on the G23 in the HBE Com III tomorrow for the 4 hr haul. I feel much more proficient with it, and able to handle a situation should it arise on the road, with this "big" gun. Will carry my 340 along for the ride also and probably use it while going out on short trips during the stay, as my friend will also be packing and have my back. Anybody else think this way?
    I think we were seperated at birth, I do the same thing! Plus a long gun usually a Marlin 44 mag carbine.

I routinely carry either a Sig P220 or P226. Depending on the prevailing winds and where we are going you might find an AR carbine with a couple of spare magazines stashed in the truck.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Considered an AR, but If I cant fight my way to my car or out of the scene as a whole with 27 rounds of 40, and 10 rounds of .357, I am in trouble. If I have time to deploy my AR, I am gonna have some splainin to do to a Grand Jury.
    It's much better if you're doin the "splainin" rather than the BG.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Use to carry the 5906tsw everywhere. Became not practical due to size and concealability. Picked up its little sister last year, 3913tsw and this little piece has been a change of life. Carry IWB, take on ALL trips so long as there is reciprocity with PA. 15 rounds total. 8 in the pistol and one spare mag with 7. Use Remington Golden Sabers for PP. I have come to the conclusion that this is my best option for travel. Just enough for any circumstance I may encounter.

Lets Go Mountaineers!!! WVU Class of 1987 here.
    Last edited by pa5906tsw; July 6th, 2010 at 09:34 AM.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    4" 1911 is EDC and a 5" 1911 is in the vehicle - always, regardless of destination or distance.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Big Gun

A SW 442 with extra speed loaders. Or if getting close to city GL 23 in a Miami Classic rig. Out in the boonies GL 21, extra mags in a Uncle Mikes Vertical shoulder holster. Or for trout fishing a Taurus 415 in a Kramer cross draw under my fishing vest. And always a 22 mag or .380 for added insurance.

I carried a 4" XD .357 for a while. It is doable, but now I'm carrying a PPS 9mm with a couple of back up mags and find that to be more comfortable. I'm 5'7" so a bigger gun is considerably harder to conceal.

As soon as I can I will be buying a Glock 32, and my lovely wife will carry the walther.

I have taller friends who cc full size glocks. They are over 6'. Holster is everything.
    The #1 tactical mistake is putting yourself in a situation that requires you to use your weapon...

...but if the situation indeed presents itself,

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links