Forced into car - Page 4

Forced into car

This is a discussion on Forced into car within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let me also add.....I don't like the "follow them with 911 on the phone idea" a bit. What if someone sideswipes and disables your car ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Forced into car

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Let me also add.....I don't like the "follow them with 911 on the phone idea" a bit.

What if someone sideswipes and disables your car during the pursuit?

What if they narrowly escape across a train track but you can't make it?

What if one of them turns around and shoots your tires out?

What if they're in a souped-up sports car and you're in a slow truck?

If any of the above happen, you can no longer follow them and the chances of your wife being seen alive again just dropped significantly.

I'm with the "don't let them take her" crowd.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

What is this, hollywood?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    There are a lot of variables here, but if there's anything I can do to prevent my wife being taken into the car, I'm gonna do it. Fast and hard.
    Head Shots!!
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    What is this, hollywood?
    Okay, that may have been a bit of literary license on my part. But....let's say they get to an intersection and they weave their way through the traffic, dodging cars left and right. They get lucky and get across.

But you don't. You get sideswiped and your car is disabled -or- tires flattened -or- you're jammed in between cars -or- whatever.....

Anything can happen to make it so that you can no longer pursue. For that matter, they could simply have more gas in the tank than you.

Once they're out of your sight with your wife, you've possibly seen her alive for the last time.

That's why you don't let them leave with her in the first place.

-miklcolt45

Pursuits are not as easy as portrayed in the movies, even with a marked unit and whistle. Without high level driving skills and/or experience they can be very difficult.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Let me also add.....I don't like the "follow them with 911 on the phone idea" a bit.

What if someone sideswipes and disables your car during the pursuit?

What if they're in a souped-up sports car and you're in a slow truck?

If any of the above happen, you can no longer follow them and the chances of your wife being seen alive again just dropped significantly.

I'm with the "don't let them take her" crowd.
    This is all true.. but, if I failed to not "let them take" whoever I would rather risk following and talking to the police than letting them get away with someone precious to me.

I'd risk a car accident if it could, in any way and by any means, be instrumental in getting my loved one back.

I skimmed over everyone's answers to try to make sure they didn't match mine. I may sound a little radical but this is what I'd probably do. Your at a gas pump and I would use that pump to my advantage. They won't want to die so I am going to position myself in front of the pump. I'd draw my weapon and point it at the man holding my wife. I would tell him. "Let my wife go now! If either of you shoot at me and miss the pump will explode and we'll all die. If you hit me with a round I'm going to shoot right into this pump and we'll all die together!" I'm willing to bet they won't have to guts to want to die over my wife!
    "No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rmhz1979 View Post
    I skimmed over everyone's answers to try to make sure they didn't match mine. I may sound a little radical but this is what I'd probably do. Your at a gas pump and I would use that pump to my advantage. They won't want to die so I am going to position myself in front of the pump. I'd draw my weapon and point it at the man holding my wife. I would tell him. "Let my wife go now! If either of you shoot at me and miss the pump will explode and we'll all die. If you hit me with a round I'm going to shoot right into this pump and we'll all die together!" I'm willing to bet they won't have to guts to want to die over my wife!
    i see we're back in hollywood...pumps dont explode in real life like they do on the big screen...and by targeting the guy holding your wife with a warning you are asking for him to use her as a human shield against you...tough shot...i am guessing they would immediately start filling your body with lead as you have given them a sweet target with a great backdrop and indicated you were willing to negotiate with them for your wife...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Are you kidding me? Screw the car. If that was my WIFE we're talking about, I'll destroy not only that car but all others I may own the rest of my life.
    Guess you COMPLETELY missed the tongue-in-cheek sillyness of that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'm with the "don't let them put her in the car" category. Something similar happened in Norfolk last year with a girl and when the shooting started with the police later, she was the first one to be killed by the BGs.

Ramming their car is probably the best bet. They're not going anywhere and instead of focusing on my wife, they'll likely be focused on me. I'll already have the firearm drawn and will be ready for the impact. After that, it's going to get ugly, but I'll have bettered the odds.

Or....if we want to go into left field here.

I ran a drill recently on a similar situation with a few different people (some of whom I did not know) and I tried something interesting. I approached them with my hands in the air speaking German very quickly and like I was a desperate foreigner; very pathetic and such. They didn't know what to make of it. I attained the element of surprise and I drew down on them. I'm not saying this is a great idea, but it's something to at least consider (the idea of distraction and closing).

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    i see we're back in hollywood...pumps dont explode in real life like they do on the big screen...and by targeting the guy holding your wife with a warning you are asking for him to use her as a human shield against you...tough shot...i am guessing they would immediately start filling your body with lead as you have given them a sweet target with a great backdrop and indicated you were willing to negotiate with them for your wife...
    Exactly. In every movie or TV show, fuel tanks, gas pumps, etc... always blow to Kingdom Come with a single shot. In real life, that's a rare shot, indeed.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Guess you COMPLETELY missed the tongue-in-cheek sillyness of that.
    Sorry, I guess I did.

-miklcolt45

If someone has my wife or child and for some reason I'm following and my car is disabled by being hit.....I have to say I'm taking the next car closest to me. Once my wife or child is involved, all bets are off. Did you guys hear about the 4-year-old taken from her yard yesterday in Missouri? the Mother jumped in her car and took off looking for them.

I've been thinking about this today, but more in the sense of my 5-year-old girl or my 11-month-old son.

I've been carjacked and shot at and though it's not fun, there are things we can do to survive. If someone should take my wife, someone is going down in the parking lot. I spent an hour in the back of an SUV against my will before the fight took place, I don't think that's something my wife could handle.

I shoot almost every day or two and I take a lot of classes, etc. I'm pretty sure about what kind of shots I can make and at what distances. I'm with some of the "shock and awe" guys. The faces on the carjackers was pure shock when the fight was on. An unaimed shot was fired during the fight for the gun.

I will always fight and I know this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    This is all true.. but, if I failed to not "let them take" whoever I would rather risk following and talking to the police than letting them get away with someone precious to me.

I'd risk a car accident if it could, in any way and by any means, be instrumental in getting my loved one back.
    Absolutely. My vehicle would mean nothing to me in that scenario, except for its importance in keeping them in view. If there were other people around and I had the presence of mind to do this, I might honk the horn like crazy and flash the lights to draw attention.

-miklcolt45

I can't remember the statistics but it is very very likely that when someone is taken, they never live to tell the story. We were told in a class once that no matter what you do it is better than going with the bad guy. So ram them jump out of the car and shoot to kill. If you can disable the vehicle you stand a better chance of getting her back.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links