Forced into car

Forced into car

This is a discussion on Forced into car within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a search and didn't see any scenarios like this so let's see what you think. I thought of this today while me and ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Forced into car

Forced into car

I did a search and didn't see any scenarios like this so let's see what you think.

I thought of this today while me and my wife were at the gas station. I was pumping gas while she went inside to grab some drinks. I started coming up with different scenarios in my head and thinking about how I would react, and this came to mind.
    I'm pumping gas and I notice two guys go into the station while my wife is inside. They come out with weapons in hand and dragging my wife with them. They force her into the car and try to get away. She is not armed but you are; what do you do?
    The first thoughts that came to mind were: shoot the tires, shoot the engine, shoot the driver.
    Shoot the tires, you risk a nasty crash with your wife in the vehicle.
    Shoot the engine, your edc may not be enough to do enough damage to effectively stop the vehicle (I carry .40 caliber hollow points).
    Shoot the driver, again you risk a crash with your wife inside.
    I realize the ideal situation would be to not let them get in the car or get a hold of your wife, or have your wife carrying also; but with the given circumstances how would you react?
    Two armed guys, your wife is unarmed and in their car, they are trying to drive away; GO.

ETA: If you don't have a SO pretend its your friend, sister, brother, etc.... Also when I was thinking about this I have to take into account that my wife is pregnant so her ability to fight back isn't nearly as good as normal. Just something to add to the equation.
    Last edited by charlie1826; July 4th, 2010 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Added last paragraph

I doubt a .40 caliber round can take out a car tire especially in motion. The only thing I have seen effective in taking out a car tire is a shotgun.

Unless you are a perfect shot you risk shooting an oil tank and causing an explosion.

You risk shooting your loved one in the confusion.

I suggest following your loved one in the BGs car and calling 911.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Difficult to say really.
    Definately be a good witness, get as much information as possible including make/model/plates. Maybe try to block them in with your car, but that may take too long. Opening fire on them might be a bad idea as you need to know what lies beyond your target, which may be the gas station (or your loved one).

If I failed to confront them before they got to the car I would not open fire on them. You may hit your loved one or they may decide to harm/kill your loved one based on your actions.
    How about avoiding the situation all together by leaving him/her in the car and you can get the drinks after you pump the gas
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

As soon as I saw said situation, I would walk quickly toward the perps, try to get within 10ft or less draw my weapon and shoot the one holding my wife.Hopefully I could shoot his partner to. It seems to me that this would be way bettor than having two guys kidnap my wife. For me this is not the type of situation to mess around. You have to get control back. You can't let them get your wife in the car.

Given the OP scenario, Get in my vehicle and ram the BG vehicle, preferably at the wheels to disable it before they leave the parking lot.

Your wife has better odds of survival/reduced injuries from a low speed crash than bullets flying.

If you are able to hit the drivers side you will likely have his bell rung and be combat ineffective for a few seconds, whereas you are prepped for the hit. Double bonus if the second BG is in the back seat on the drivers side as well.

Now you play the cards that are dealt.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    Unless you are a perfect shot you risk shooting an oil tank and causing an explosion.
    You watch way too much tv.

There are a lot of variables here, but if there's anything I can do to prevent my wife being taken into the car, I'm gonna do it. Fast and hard.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Remember also, as they come out of the door, if you are at the pumps.. your line of fire if you miss, would certainly send rounds into the store.

Sticks had a reasonable idea, "if" location of vehicles makes it possible to get that kind of impact.

Chances would probably be better for the wife if you called 911 and followed the vehicle out of the gas station. They would probably put her out down the street.

Be a good witness first, and then if necessary take action. When they are coming out of the store, they are scanning for cops probably, not too concerned about the schmuck pumping gas.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I'm with sticks, ram the dang car and go from their. I do know one thing, there is no way they leaving that station with my wife. I'm glad I was raised in a different time, thank God.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I'm not willingly going to let that car get away. Tires and radiator for sure. At least limit how far it can go before meltdown. Ram it? Possibly. That puts you up close with armed BGs and may cause injury to you. Big risk of injuring the wife also. Bigger than popping rounds at the front end tires and cooler.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    I doubt a .40 caliber round can take out a car tire especially in motion. The only thing I have seen effective in taking out a car tire is a shotgun.

You risk shooting your loved one in the confusion.

I suggest following your loved one in the BGs car and calling 911.
    If a .40 won't penetrate tires, somethings bad wrong. And you watch too much Hollywood. It's nearly impossible to explode a gas tank with a firearm.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

This is no different that the"surendering your weapon " thread same response

I gave this some thought, I came up W/ a response and some rationales to back it up but I suspect that I'm still going to catch some flak for posting this but here's how I think I'd react

1. I don't believe for a second that he has any intention of letting my wife live so I have nothing to lose by trying.

2. The last thing I want is for him to have that gun pointed at her the easiest way I can think of to accomplish that is to give him another target, me.

3. I've been shot before. I know exactly what it feels like and I believe I can cover 12 yards before I bleed out.

4. Action always beats reaction, I bet I can get at least 3 steps (3 yards?) while he's screaming "stop or I'll shoot."

I'm going to close the gap as far as I can, then I'm going to start shooting and I'm not going to stop shooting until I'm dead or he's dead.

VIP Member
    INCOMING!

Can't disagree with you. That's what you'd do, not everyone else, isn't it. Everyone has different thoughts, and it's all speculation at this point, seeing as we don't have the layout of the scene, distance to BGs' car, what weapons they're carrying, etc.

My first thought was, who'd want to wreck their perfectly good car? But I could probably sacrifice my 12-yr-old, 200,000+ miles cars for the cause. I mean, it can't cook, so what's more important?

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    This is no different that the"surendering your weapon " thread same response

I gave this some thought, I came up W/ a response and some rationales to back it up but I suspect that I'm still going to catch some flak for posting this but here's how I think I'd react

1. I don't believe for a second that he has any intention of letting my wife live so I have nothing to lose by trying.

2. The last thing I want is for him to have that gun pointed at her the easiest way I can think of to accomplish that is to give him another target, me.

3. I've been shot before. I know exactly what it feels like and I believe I can cover 12 yards before I bleed out.

4. Action always beats reaction, I bet I can get at least 3 steps (3 yards?) while he's screaming "stop or I'll shoot."

I'm going to close the gap as far as I can, then I'm going to start shooting and I'm not going to stop shooting until I'm dead or he's dead.
    I agree with your answer.
    No kids, no family anymore, I am 70, my wife of 37 years is all I got !
    In such situation my adrenaline surge would skyrocket.
    I don't think the BGs would be concerned by an old, skinny guy moving on a diagonal (to get a clear line of fire) not even looking at them; then my wife would pretend to faint and that's when hell breaks loose.
    We have discussed that situation many times and she knows what to do, even if she "forgot" her .357 in the truck.

Again these are my thoughts, in my situation; yours can be completely different.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

No one is forcing any of my family into a car...at least not while I behind the wheel of a 3000 pound bullet.

Now, if my mother-in-law were being forced into a car, I'd make a 180 degree turn, wait at the far end of the parking lot...they'd eventually bring her back. I might even require them to pay a reverse ransom for me to take her off of their hands.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links