Boys, it almost happened on the 4th of July... - Page 2

Boys, it almost happened on the 4th of July...

This is a discussion on Boys, it almost happened on the 4th of July... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Eagleks Yep, that's how it happens .... least expecting it, furtherest thing from your mind, while doing something where you don't think ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boys, it almost happened on the 4th of July...

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Yep, that's how it happens .... least expecting it, furtherest thing from your mind, while doing something where you don't think it would ever happen.

Sounds like it turned out good.

I want to know what your wife told 911 to get that kind of response. LOL.
    Yeah, no kidding! I was as surprised as the anyone when the deputies came screaming up to the scene at Mach 2. Their timing couldn't have been better scripted, and we all know that's not the norm!

My poor wife, who isn't used to such excitement, was a little rattled. She never even got to dial the phone.

I'm not sure, but I think it was the kids inside the house where the domestic assault originated who actually called law enforcement.

jbi,

Thank you for posting your experience...And thank you kindly for your above secondary amendment to the whole.

Sharing your experience allows us all to become smarter (raw knowledge) _and_ wiser (how to use gained knowledge toward making a life situation decision), by proxy.

A woman and her dog are somewhere above ground standing on their feet right now because of you.
    You done good man, as others have stated.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Well done. Sounds like you took care of things handily. Glad everything turned out OK. You know how the wife is doing?
    No. I'm sorry. I wish I did. When I was a full-time cop, I was a member of a Domestic Violence Task Force, and I have a soft spot for victims. I grew up in a bad house with my mom's drunk live-in, and I just despise domestic batterers...

The last time I saw her, she was sitting on the grass near the road in a semi-fetal position with her small dog. She was being attended to by an unknown female neighbor (who emerged from nowhere, it seemed, and probably saw the entire thing, too) and a third deputy, who arrived only seconds after the first two. As best I could tell, she did not appear to be injured and was probably saved by fleeing from him.

Once the deputies acknowledged my presence and gave me the go-ahead to leave, I drove away. The victim was still visibly upset but obviously much, much better.

I've considered stopping to check on her, but I don't know. In my experience, victims often let the batterers return to the house and I'd hate to stop by there to check on her and he be home. That could lead to round 2, I suppose...

I would not at all return to check on her.

For the reason you stated as well as the sad human issue of emotion.
    You might find yourself feeling obliged to somehow become her savior AND/OR she may see you as being a Captn. Sav-A-Ho type, and by that attempt to take advantage of your kindness.

You know how human beings very often are. : |
    Especially so human beings who involve themself with and hang round with persons like Mr. Woman-Beater.

If you really are concerned you could always drop a dime to your local/regional/state victim witness office as a law enforcement professional and advise them of your experience & concerns to do a welfare checkup toward the victim.
    That is within the scope of their job.

AARDVARC.org - Arkansas Victim Assistance Resources

Get yourself further involved than what you have been at your own personal physical and/or financial risk, and that of your wife/family too.

$0.02

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Just curious...same situation, but the person driving by is NOT a cop. What would the best response be?

I'm thinking stop and wait...be a witness but don't go further unless you see violence. This has happily never happened to me & I haven't thought about it - but it could happen to anyone anywhere. Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by jbourneidentity View Post
    o That could lead to round 2, I suppose...
    or

That colud lead to 2 rounds of lead, I suppose....

Very good outcome

Very good outcome, and very serious situation no doubt. I do however, after the fact find it humerous that you were on your way to Walmart of course. Where else would you be going when something like this happens.

I actually shop there alot. I joke with my family that if I didn't shop there for a week they would call me to see if everything was alright.

I did have an experience there yesterday that stands out from most.I was shopping and there were apparently two women there with a whole litter of kids. The oldest was about nine. These kids acted like they had never been out in public before. They were running from aisle to aisle. Yelling back and forth from several aisle apart. During my visit I nearly ran into two of them on two different occasions.

Then, lucky me, I got in line behind one of the ladies and the other one comes up behind me. The kids were running back and forth between the two carts, asking each woman questions, jabbering non-stop and generally getting underfoot.

Then to make things even better the woman in front of me sends the oldest boy over to the other side of the store to get the rest of the herd that was playing in the arcade area at the front of the store.

As she was checking out she was having a long detailed discussion with the cashier. I think they were related.

When she finished checking out she came around to the cashiers side of the register and proceeded to write down her "pin" number and some other stuff for the cashier to use her debit card later.

I almost said something to the cashier about taking care of personal business on her own time, not mine, but I let it slide.

Quote Originally Posted by bsms View Post
    Just curious...same situation, but the person driving by is NOT a cop. What would the best response be?

I'm thinking stop and wait...be a witness but don't go further unless you see violence. This has happily never happened to me & I haven't thought about it - but it could happen to anyone anywhere. Ideas?
    I was wondering the same thing. As non-LEO, would I have to wait until a weapon is produced or a punch is thrown before I have a clear enough picture of the scenerio to step in? Would like to hear from the OP on this one.
    What the **** - How did I end up on this soapbox again?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by wraymusicman View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. As non-LEO, would I have to wait until a weapon is produced or a punch is thrown before I have a clear enough picture of the scenerio to step in? Would like to hear from the OP on this one.
    Gosh, it's a good question.

I tend to be from the "Massad Ayoob School of Non-Intervention" and if I weren't an LEO, I would probably have tried to make a good witness and called 911. However...

If a woman were being brutalized, or a senior citizen, or a child, or some other disparity of force situation, I would probably have to get involved as soon as the first act of physical violence occurred (i.e., punch, kick, etc.). These are just moral caveats that for me, would cause my intervention, even if I weren't an LEO.

I am very fortunate, because in Arkansas, our criminal code strongly endorses intervention in such cases of physical violence.

Thank you all very much for your advice and input.

Unless I see the event unfold or know everyone involved i'm in the do not intervene camp (unless its an obvious situation like a mugging or raping). What if this woman had just kidnapped the kid and it was the father chasing him? Call it unlikely, or w/e you want but...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I am not a LEO. I do not interfere.

The woman could be equally tweaked and just shanked him in the house. I may suspect someone is on drugs, and I may may have a good track record for it, but I don't know it, and am not going to introduce a gun into this situation that I have observed for only a matter of seconds.

Domestic incidents are ALWAYS dicey - even if you're the cop.

I lock my doors and windows, keep my sidearm handy, and drive away a distance while calling 911.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    ok I'm really confused, either I can't read or it's not in the original post but why exactly would you have shot him?????? I didn't see the mention of him having a weapon, all you said was that he was closing in on her. Did he have a gun, knife, club, bat?????

I'll try reading it again, maybe 3rd time will be the charm.

JBI,
    Isn't the sound of the red snake coming wonderful.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Nice job. Now I have a visual in my head of David Spade as "Joe Dirt" all methed-out and running like a madman after his significant other.

Distinguished Member
    Good job you but you forgot the most important part of the story... What did you get at Walmart? ;) :D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links