Boys, it almost happened on the 4th of July...

This is a discussion on Boys, it almost happened on the 4th of July... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I almost had to shoot a domestic violence suspect while off-duty... It's been a long time since I've been so close to putting rounds into ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I almost had to shoot a domestic violence suspect while off-duty...

It's been a long time since I've been so close to putting rounds into someone. Of course, it happened when I least expected it and out of nowhere, but isn't that the way it always is?

I've been off the street and teaching at a police academy in God's country since 2007. The crazy thing is...I live in a rural Arkansas county where violent crime is nearly non-existent. I mean, it's fractional. Even crazier, I nearly had to shoot this idiot less than a mile from my own home up in the Ozark Mountain foothills.

My wife and I were going to Wal-Mart (she knew I had some money), and while we were talking and driving down our peaceful country road, I saw an absolutely terrified, crying woman running down a hill in her yard with a small dog in her arms. Her mouth was wide open as if trying to scream and it was clear she was in serious danger. Right behind her, and fixated totally on her, was the classic Arkansas meth-head. Dishwater brown hair, no shirt, frayed blue jean shorts, no shoes, and he weighed about 145 pounds. He was closing the distance as she reached the road directly in front of my car. She slowed down and stopped before reaching the very hot pavement because she, too, wasn't wearing shoes (contrary to popular belief, this IS NOT common in Arkansas ).

He closed the distance quickly and I reached for my active shooter bag, which contained my Glock 22 .40 loaded with 165-grain bonded Golden Sabers. I stopped my car, opened the door and got my feet onto the pavement (I was wearing shoes ). I screamed at my wife to call 911.

I leveled my G22 at the suspect, who was now practically on top of the fleeing female, and yelled, "Police! Get on the ground!" He NEVER acknowledged me. He was totally focused on her. I screamed, "Stop! Get on the ground!" During the second series of verbal commands, he slowed and we both noticed an awful commotion about 100 yards north of our locations. It was the sound of squalling tires and sirens. That got his attention. He immediately fled back up the hill toward the house. The deputies screamed past me, up the driveway, and cut him off. In just a few seconds, they had this crystal-critter hosed down with OC, on the ground and in handcuffs. Meanwhile, I'm now standing at the road with a Glock 22, twittling my thumbs.

I raised my left hand to wave at them while keeping my G22 down at my side with my right hand; fortunately, they clearly recognized me from the police academy. They waved back and told me, "Thanks!" I yelled back, "Do you need me to fill out a statement?" They said, "Nah...we're good!" Uh, okay...

So, for me, the lesson I've learned 1000 times over 20 years is reinforced yet again. Trouble comes when you least expect it, even in your own backyard, and we have to be armed at all times...even in God's country.

Glad everything turned out ok!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Glad everything turned out ok.
    Ain't it a PITA when that stuff happens.

Yep, that's how it happens .... least expecting it, furtherest thing from your mind, while doing something where you don't think it would ever happen.

Sounds like it turned out good.

I want to know what your wife told 911 to get that kind of response. LOL.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Murphy's Law dictates how things happen in an instant...glad you did not have to shoot, but that would have cleaned the gene pool...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's nice you had a gun in your bag,do you strap it on when you leave?You never know when stuff happens and 10 feet away could be 10 feet too many,A police chief in a border town by Mexico carried his G26 in his vehicle,after threats from Mexico he carries on his belt now
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Bravo Zulu......one more lesson to pass to your students.

Thanks for passing and reinforcing this lesson for us here.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Administrator
    A hopped up crazed Meth head ready to pounce.
    He could have either killed her or seriously injured her in just a few seconds...so you either saved her life or prevented her from getting bruised, bloody, battered, and broken.
    Sincere Kudos for a job well done.

And....an plus plus...The Mrs. got to see you in action.

Well done. Sounds like you took care of things handily. Glad everything turned out OK. You know how the wife is doing?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

heh, crystal-critter

Nice job...Your community should be glad to have you.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

What happened with the woman? Did anyone help her? Did she go back to the *#$&%?
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Quite an experience!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

jbi,

Why were you not carrying your sidearm on your person as rather than kept in a go bag?

Do you carry this bag around with you everywhere or does it stay in the car?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    jbi,

Why were you not carrying your sidearm on your person as rather than kept in a go bag?

Do you carry this bag around with you everywhere or does it stay in the car?

- Janq
    Thanks for the kind comments, guys. I needed them, because I'm always second-guessing myself.

This is a good question, and a couple of people have asked me about the bag, so here's my honest answer...

Guys, I almost always have a G19 strapped on my side in a Blade Tech IWB, but I couldn't find the damned holster before we left. That's just the honest truth. I searched my gun safe area for 10 minutes and just couldn't find it.

I found every holster I own except that one and it's still lost. I use it all the time and wore it at a recent CCW class that I taught. I was exhausted when I got home and placed it somewhere, and on this day, I just couldn't find it. The bag was an expedient solution at the time, and it's not uncommon for me to carry it to various places.

It's very hot in Arkansas right now and my other holsters (Safariland ALS, etc.) are just not conducive for good concealed carry when I'm wearing cargo shorts and a t-shirt. So, I grabbed my active shooter bag, which I pretty much take with me everywhere. I placed it in the floorboard of my car beside my right leg. Access to the handgun was fast and easy. In hindsight, I should've thrown it over my shoulder when I stepped out of the car.

Lesson learned: Have multiple concealment holsters. The only reason I don't is cash, but I've picked up a second job, and good CCW gear is tops on the priority list.

Thanks for the input.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links