"Big Gun" Travel

This is a discussion on "Big Gun" Travel within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Agreed on all counts, Biker. In the unlikely event something happens, what do I want to have on hand at the time? Any issue will ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Big Gun" Travel

Agreed on all counts, Biker. In the unlikely event something happens, what do I want to have on hand at the time? Any issue will in all probability be settled long before the police arrive on the scene.

To quote Gabe Suarez again, "You will fight with what you have on you." I find few if any instances of someone "using their handgun to fight their way to their long gun." Nor do I recall any instances of someone fighting their way to their bugout bag or their vehicle gun bag.

I've recently switched to carrying 2 fullsize guns, usually of the same make and caliber. Some people can carry lots of gear easier than others can. Fortunately I can carry lots of gear easily, as you described in your situation.

And while mindset is most important, you are right in that quality gear helps.

Two fullsize guns give me significantly more rounds without having to reload, another event I almost never hear about during a non-LEO gunfight.

I never thought I'd be leaving my .357 at home, but for now, I usually do.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    I like the SA/DA Sig because I have the choice to either carry it like a glock or like a 1911 because of the de-cocker. Also i've heard sig is one of the most reliable and accurate right out of the box.
    Please clarify the bolded portion....are you carrying your SIG with the hammer back?? Which model SIG are you talking about?? SA/DA SIGs are designed to be carried hammer down...NOT hammer back. If you're carrying a SAO SIG, it is designed to be carried like a 1911 (hammer back, safety on).
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Please clarify the bolded portion....are you carrying your SIG with the hammer back?? Which model SIG are you talking about?? SA/DA SIGs are designed to be carried hammer down...NOT hammer back. If you're carrying a SAO SIG, it is designed to be carried like a 1911 (hammer back, safety on).
    I meant if I am concerned about a light trigger I can carry it safety off and hammer down. or carry it cocked and locked safety on and hammer back. can you not do that with the DA/SA(with decocker)?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Senior Moderator
    Biker,

Here's an interesting expansion to the big gun idea. Why do we carry a big primary gun and a much smaller BUG? This addresses the premise if I had to be in a gunfight with a handgun which one would I want. If we want to fight with a big gun, and I do, if that gun goes down, why would I want to continue the fight with a much smaller gun?

I mean if the smaller gun is sufficient to fight with, why carry a bigger gun?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I mean if the smaller gun is sufficient to fight with, why carry a bigger gun?
    well the BUG is just that....a back up..for an emergency where the big gun fails.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I meant if I am concerned about a light trigger I can carry it safety off and hammer down. or carry it cocked and locked safety on and hammer back. can you not do that with the DA/SA(with decocker)?
    SIGs (except SAOs) do not have a manual safety (like a 1911)...only a decocker

You cannot carry cocked and locked, as there is nothing to "lock"...if you carry a SIG with the hammer back (no manual safety), you are at great risk of having a negligent discharge, as the trigger now only requires 5.5lbs of pressure to discharge.

The SIG was designed to be carried hammer down.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Well that changes everything now doesn't it...the sig I tried was the SAO, I guess I assumed the DA/SA had one as well
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Senior Moderator
    well the BUG is just that....a back up..for an emergency where the big gun fails.
    I realize that. But, we carry a BUG because we believe the possibility exists that the primary may go down. So at that point it's the very same question all over again. If I had to be in a gunfight with a handgun, and my primary went down, would I rather have another big gun or will a small gun do just as well? Well the prevailing thought in this thread is in favor of the big gun. So why do we carry less than that as a BUG?

So why do we carry less than that as a BUG?
    Because carrying two full size weapons is impractical and can become a quality of life issue especially for little guys like me. Ideally i'd like to carry around and AR or a Mossy but that just isn't practical (or legal for that matter).

Heck, why not carry 4 full sized firearms?!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Senior Moderator
    Because carrying two full size weapons is impractical and can become a quality of life issue especially for little guys like me. Ideally i'd like to carry around and AR or a Mossy but that just isn't practical (or legal for that matter).

Heck, why not carry 4 full sized firearms?!
    Impracticality is the real issue isn't it? Or otherwise know as convenience. And that very same reasoning is exactly why some chose to carry a small primary gun - quality of life issue. Some are unalbe to cope with a big gun.

But the real issue here is that some claim they chose to have a big gun for a gunfight. But in the middle of the fight, somehow the choice becomes muddled and our new choice is to chose a small gun for the fight. That is what we're doing when we carry a small BUG, we are choosing to fight, in the middle of a gunfight, with a small gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Impracticality is the real issue isn't it? Or otherwise know as convenience. And that very same reasoning is exactly why some chose to carry a small primary gun - quality of life issue. Some are unalbe to cope with a big gun.

But the real issue here is that some claim they chose to have a big gun for a gunfight. But in the middle of the fight, somehow the choice becomes muddled and our new choice is to chose a small gun for the fight. That is what we're doing when we carry a small BUG, we are choosing to fight, in the middle of a gunfight, with a small gun.
    I think the logic is getting a bit muddled here. Someone who carries large gun as primary is saying ideally they'd want that in a gunfight but if that fails at LEAST they have SOMETHING. what do you say of a person who carries a large gun and NO back up? that they choose to not have a gun in a fight?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Senior Moderator
    I wasn't directing my comments to you specifically. It is just interesting that some talk carry a big gun but seem willing to settle for a small gun in an emergency. To me, that's when one needs the big gun the worst - in an emergency.

OTOH, I don't have a problem carrying a G26 as a primary gun - it's a small primary, but what will it not do that a big gun will?

I see nothing wrong with a G26 either. I don't consider a G19 a big gun either but it has the capacity of a 226 and I can handle it well.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Senior Moderator
    I use to have a signature line that read, "How comfortable a gun is to carr;y or how easy it is to carry; or how easy it is to conceal will mean a thing in a gunfight."

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I use to have a signature line that read, "How comfortable a gun is to carr;y or how easy it is to carry; or how easy it is to conceal will mean a thing in a gunfight."
    very true.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links