"Big Gun" Travel

"Big Gun" Travel

This is a discussion on "Big Gun" Travel within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didn't want to clutter up an internet mates thread, so I started my own on the topic, regarding some recent adventures. I left my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Big Gun" Travel

"Big Gun" Travel

I didn't want to clutter up an internet mates thread, so I started my own on the topic, regarding some recent adventures.

I left my hot dry desert environment yesterday and went to the land of movie stars and millionaires for a day. I ended up driving through downtown Los Angeles, and on to Northridge and Brentwood. Most of my time was in Brentwood, but I did go walking through the Northridge Mall. That's the mall where Terminator 2 was filmed, IIRC.

I was carrying the Browning High Power in a Kramer IWB 3#, along with three reloads and a BUG with two reloads. There is something nice, and "comforting" about carrying a handgun suitable for combat in an environment that doesn't have many subjects carrying weapons for self protection.

The reason I mention all this is to give people pause to consider what they carry, and the often mis-guided belief that they are unable to carry a weapon suitable for combat, and thus opt for something much smaller, both in caliber and luanching device size. Make no mistake about it, a gunfight is combat of the most serious kind in my opinion, as you will be fighting to stay alive. To me it only makes sense to carry the largest weapon of "reasonable" proportions as one can in the event that the unlikely occurs.

High quality gear goes a long way in the success of doing that. My Belt was a Wilderness Instructor Belt, which has the rigidity to help minimize printing, and holds the weapon in place on your hip. The holster, already mentioned, provides for minimizing "printing" and allows for one handed reholstering. It allows allows the weapon to be carried with reaonable comfort while one is driving or sitting in the vehicle.

The BUG was in the usual location, support side pocket in it's respective Mika Pocket Holster. The two reloads for the P-35 were in an OWB Double Mag Pouch on the Belt and the two reloads for BUG, Speed Strips, were in the primary side front pocket. The third magazine for the High Power was in the 5.11 cell phone pocket. All this, along with two wallets, one cell phone, pager and two knives were carried under an untucked shirt, which given the weather and conditions was not out of place.

The only things carried that proved of need was the cell phone and one knife. The knife was used to open a package of food stuff. I posted this so that people may give consideration to what they carry and ponder the often misguided, IMO, belief that they cannot carry a suitable size weapon. While not needed, it was nice to be prepared for worse conditions than what was found.

Biker

Couldn't agree more, Biker.
    While I realize that occupational dress and other things affect what people carry, I virtually always carry full sized weapons. IF I carry a BUG, which isn't too often any more, it is also a full sized weapon.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I hate to keep asking newbie questions but what in the world is a BUG?

I've been thinking about the things I need to start carrying too but at the same time I don't want to fall into the trap of thinking oh I need to carry this and then I need to carry that...b4 u know it, you need a little red wagon to pack all of your stuff around. That is why as much as I'd like to have a bigger flashlight to carry, I'm really leaning towards a palm sized one.

Along the same line of thinking, I've got an old Swiss Army back pack that I'm about to retire from active duty. The bag is still in great shape but the straps are completely worn out. Without looking into what it would cost to repair, I'm sure I'd have the cost of a new bag in it...so what I'm thinking about doing is keeping it in the back of my van as a means to store extra gear. While I was thinking about this, it occurred to me that it might be a great idea if I were to get a First Aid kit...because you never know...

Along the same line of thinking of what to keep in my van, I was thinking about getting a flashlight with a mount that I could mount on my dash and keep it on the charger for whenever I need it.

On a side note, I know this is a stupid question, but is it illegal for me to mount a tactical shot gun on the dash of my van? Ha-ha. I love the idea but I'm not sure if 1.) it would be legal. 2.) it would be smart, considering that someone might bust into your car to steal it, etc.

I didn't mean to get off topic, sorry. I like the idea of carrying a full size gun too but concealment and comfort are always a concern for me. If you are carrying open carry, it's a lot easier to carry full size, etc. I definitely want to get a full size to keep as a night stand gun.

Grace & Peace,

My Dad lived in Brentwood for a long time and my Grandmother is right there by Von's Supermarket (if it still is called that) in Northridge. I spent a lot of time at the Northridge mall and the Beverly Center, don't miss it there one bit!

I'm all about the big gun for carry. I usually carry a 1911, the smallest being a Commander, but my 226 and 229 have been getting some love lately. I always carry extra magazines, 2 recently.

I have a friend that has pretty much every gun imaginable but carries a Kahr 380 or Diamondback, but sometimes pushes it with an EMP. Mostly it's his holster selection that keeps him from bigger guns, and I keep trying to get him to step up a bit.

There's definitely something comforting about carrying a handgun suitable for combat. The Sigs do something for me that even my Nighthawk doesn't, which I hate to admit. Personally, the couple times I carried nothing more than a Kahr 380 (just to see how it felt), I didn't feel nearly as prepared as usual.

I've never felt uncomfortable carrying a full size gun. I carry in a VMII mostly and carry from the moment I wake up until I go to bed. I've never had a problem with comfort or concealment and I'm a hair more than 5'8" and 175lbs. I usually wear a t-shirt or button down and a pair of pants/jeans.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I like the idea of carrying a full size gun too but concealment and comfort are always a concern for me.
    We all have to make our own choices.

I myself place less of a consideration on "comfort" and prefer to have what I consider the best tool available for the task at hand.

BUG is shorthand for Back Up Gun. I'm considering going to the Glock 35 as an EDC Gun, with a J-Frame as a BUG. EDC is shorthand for Every Day Carry.

I'm not trashing what anyone chooses to carry, as I said, "We all have to make our own choices." I just think that with a little thought and effort a more suitable weapon can often be carried, unless one is in fact carrying the gun as a talisman.

I ask myself one very important question when I'm selecting what I carry; "If this was the only handgun I could have, and I knew I was going to be in a gunfight, would this be something I would be willing to carry?" Most often that leads me to select the larger of my options, as I find them easier to shoot and more accurate. Of course consideration to dress and environment have to be taken into account. What I fear is that too many people place too much importance on comfort and less on the realities of the situations they could face. Thus they carry the gun as a talisman and not as a life saving tool.

Biker

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    [QUOTE=DefConGun;1693138]I hate to keep asking newbie questions but what in the world is a BUG?

A "BUG" is a "back-up gun".

I like my Kahr CW45 as an EDC, but the round count is a little low. I will move up to a full-size 1911 when I get the funds and it cools off. My BUG is a S&W 642.

I carry a 92FS and if I feel I need a BUG, it is a second 92FS. With my "old man" tourist shirts they are virtually invisible.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post

I ask myself one very important question when I'm selecting what I carry; "If this was the only handgun I could have, and I knew I was going to be in a gunfight, would this be something I would be willing to carry?" Most often that leads me to select the larger of my options, as I find them easier to shoot and more accurate. Of course consideration to dress and environment have to be taken into account. What I fear is that too many people place too much importance on comfort and less on the realities of the situations they could face. Thus they carry the gun as a talisman and not as a life saving tool.

Biker
    I think you nailed it here. I think if you are comfortable and can shoot with more accuracy with a large gun then by all means carry one. I'm no not against carrying large guns by any means but there are things to take into consideration when you consider what you are going to carry. Shot placement is very important. I could, for example, kill a man with a .22 with appropriate shot placement where I wouldn't even injure him with a .45 - if I miss him. A small frame guy or a lady, for example, may not be comfortable with a large gun and may have better results with a smaller gun and if that is the case - then they should carry the smaller gun. Some people also may not carry the larger gun if it's not comfortable. They may agree that the larger gun is going to be more effective in the damage it will inflict but if they aren't going to carry it and start to avoid it because it's not comfortable then the caliber, regardless of its size, lacks all relevancy.

I think I mostly agree with everything you said. I do agree that guns are tools and you should have the right tool for the right job. I've heard it said here many times though - you only use your handgun so that you can fight your way back to your rifle. If you're traveling with the thought in the back of your mind that you could really get into a gun fight then maybe you shouldn't dismiss the possibility of carrying a rifle with you as well - unless you're riding a bike because I don't know if there would be room for you to do that - although I've seen a picture somewhere of a guy riding a bike with an AR strapped to his back. It looked odd to me but I'm assuming it was legal. I also suppose it would be legal to walk around with an AR strapped on your back anywhere it would be legal to carry open carry? I'm not being a smart "A" - I really don't know and am asking out of pure ignorance.

A lot of good points to consider with this post.

Thank you for posting this. :-)

Grace & Peace,

A small framed person can carry a real gun. I do it everyday. I'm 5'6" and 150#, and I carry a 1911. I carry it because I can shoot it well.

If I carry anything smaller, it's a G23.

Really, if people would put as much time into their EDC rig, as they do matching their shoes; they would find that they can conceal anything.

It's all about the holster and belt combo.

Remember the hostage thread? Take the shot or surrender at 12 yards? I doubt if anyone is going to take that shot with a mousegun. With my 1911; yes I'll take that shot.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    We all have to make our own choices.

I myself place less of a consideration on "comfort" and prefer to have what I consider the best tool available for the task at hand.

BUG is shorthand for Back Up Gun. I'm considering going to the Glock 35 as an EDC Gun, with a J-Frame as a BUG. EDC is shorthand for Every Day Carry.

I'm not trashing what anyone chooses to carry, as I said, "We all have to make our own choices." I just think that with a little thought and effort a more suitable weapon can often be carried, unless one is in fact carrying the gun as a talisman.

Biker
    This post and especially the third paragraph speaks volumes.

I carry my G19 while it is not a full size model it is certainly not a small gun especially with 15+1 9mm. It is a weapon I feel is a great combat weapon and I shot it well out of the other choices (the 2nd bein the XD9).

When I have the money I plan on carrying a Full size P220 Elite (another one I love)
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

ctsketch, I think I mentioned above that lately I've been carrying a 226 or 229 on occasion. I carry a 1911 mostly, but have been carrying the Sigs for some reason. That 220 is a great gun, I might pick one up, but every time I think about it I just get another 1911. One of these days!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I like the SA/DA Sig because I have the choice to either carry it like a glock or like a 1911 because of the de-cocker. Also i've heard sig is one of the most reliable and accurate right out of the box.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I have many thousands of rounds through one of my 226's and it's never failed in any way on me. I have the short trigger (really just a thin trigger) and SRT in all of them. They can be run pretty fast and are very soft shooters. The Sig and M&P are really the only guns I enjoy that are not 1911's.

I ask myself one very important question when I'm selecting what I carry; "If this was the only handgun I could have, and I knew I was going to be in a gunfight, would this be something I would be willing to carry?"
    Yes. However, I would definitely bring a few extra mags if I were planning a big shoot out. Hmmmmm

I think that's a good way to think about it really.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links