Old scenario, still think about it

This is a discussion on Old scenario, still think about it within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ctsketch i've had to tap in much less than 10 seconds with a properly applied choke after about 5 seconds I was ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Old scenario, still think about it

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    i've had to tap in much less than 10 seconds with a properly applied choke after about 5 seconds I was already seeing grey!
    I've never used it competitively, but quite a few times on the street and five or six seconds was the average.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    That is a tough situation for sure. You should have been questioned. I wear spurs 90% of the time and attend rodeos so I could see this happening. If it happened to me this guy's shins, knees, groin would be in excruating pain when got done spurring him like a saddle bronc pony. Lol I might start a new fashion trend when all these guys are walking around with spurs on but don't own a horse.

Ah, we have an illustration of what to do while being choked and after since you're at a rock show

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I'm not saying that I would or could do any better that you did. But, if I was able to reach a weapon, I would definitely try to employ it. If it was a Knife, I would probably stab him in whatever I could reach, and if it were a gun, I would try to shoot him if I were certain that I would not miss and shoot someone else. After it was over, whether or not I had tried a weapon, I would visit an attorney as soon as possible.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Here's a bagua demo showing how fluid responses work well inside the window.

As the window gets smaller, the options decrease and the responses need to be larger and stronger, approaching and reaching 100-percent full force.

Watch the video again. Notice that in this kind of situation, combatives are needed. There is no time to gain purchase on a weapon, such as gun, knife or flashlight. If it isn't in hand and ready to use, it isn't going to be a factor at all. The gun-centric, weapon-centric mindset will solve problems, but only those in a specific range. Other situations, like those in the OP's scenario, require unarmed technique to buy time and distance to bring a weapon into play.
    Thanks for posting the video to illustrate your idea of some effective fluid responses. However, please note that it is a choreographed fight that breaks for the GG at every turn. His "bagua" is merely turning his back on his opponent (in the middle of the fight on both opponents) and spinning in the direction away from the other opponent (the one that he is not closest to).

To start, he got too close and let the BG spin him around, and he just kept spinning... and spinning... and spinning - albeit with shoves and palms to the head.

To his credit, during his spins away from the opponent, the GG doesn't allow much space and keeps contact with his opponent. Better to allow no space. Best is to have control of the opponent's limb or a joint lock and only then, if the energy flows, turn with stability.

But I haven't found a trainer with real-world or competitive fight experience who recommends the back-to-the-opponent tactic as the video demonstrates - with no control on the opponent; and, if I'm understanding correctly, I don't believe that it comes from the bagua tradition or any Chinese Martial tradition.

I'm more than willing to seek and post a correction if I find it but don't recommend turning one's back on one's opponent once the opponent is in one's view. Rather, control, spin to the front, and get the opponent's back like the BG did (except for lacking aggression to move closer) to start.

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread to China.
    Last edited by Pistology; July 11th, 2010 at 01:06 AM.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    The probem is, what if it's a friend who thinks he's being funny? It's tough, but if I was out in public and someone came at me from behind I'm going all out until I'm free.

I don't have any friends who would do that. At least not hard enough to where I would think they were being serious. Friend or not, my immediate reaction doesn't change, and that's to go for the controlling arm.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links